YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

60 Day Challenge
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

TheJL
Posted 2011-01-10 10:20 AM (#126869)
Subject: 60 Day Challenge

Hi there!

I'm new to the Bikram Community, and very new to this board, though I've been reading a few of the threads for a couple of weeks. It looks like this group has quite a bit of insight, and is very supportive of it's members.

I'm heading to class 6 of my 60 day Challenge tonight. Can any of you share some Best Practices for a new student? What are you favorite postures, and why? What posture is the hardest for you? What are your favorite times of day to go to a class?

I look forward to sharing experiences with you all!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
saigon71
Posted 2011-01-10 5:20 PM (#126875 - in reply to #126869)
Subject: Re: 60 Day Challenge

Good for you! From my experience, it is best to ask your instructors for their observations and advice about your particular practice. I was very surprised to learn that I wasn't keeping my back straight in 3rd part of awkward, that my forefinger was around my ankle crease in standing bow when my pinkie should be...etc. Good Luck!

Posted 2011-01-11 1:10 AM (#126880 - in reply to #126869)

Woohoo, welcome!

Since you're new, I'd really only tell you a few things: breathe, keep your ears open, and be nice to yourself! There is always sooo much to learn, and as long as you stay alert and keep listening, you will pick up new information all the time. That's part of the fun of being new - surprises around every corner. Don't let yourself get stressed out if you can't get everything "perfect" or if - GASP - you miss a day! The whole point of yoga is to make you feel BETTER.

If you ever have questions, don't be shy about asking your teachers after class. As a teacher, I just looooove it when students come to me with questions, because it shows me how much they are paying attention! (Plus, it makes it easier for me to remember who they are after we've had a conversation.)

When I do "challenges," I usually try to practice first thing in the morning, because it's so nice to get it done for the day. It makes the rest of the day so much easier! But evening classes are nice too, because your body is already loosened up and there's usually a lot more energy.

I think my favorite AND my hardest posture right now is cobra. That one is deceptively complicated - there are so many little details - but it makes your back feel INCREDIBLE when you really get it right!
TheJL
Posted 2011-01-11 9:41 AM (#126885 - in reply to #126869)

Thank you!

The instructors at our studios are very helpful, and have already answered quite a few questions for me. Last night, I was actually given a few pointers on Rabbit. (I always thought that was an "easy" posture for me- probably because I was doing it incorrectly!)

I've been going to a 4 or 4:30 pm class during the week, and then attending earlier classes on the weekends. I think that there are benefits to both, and haven't made up my mind which I prefer yet. Sometimes it's nice to get into the room after a rough day at work and forget it all for an hour and a half.

Do either of you set personal goals during the challenges? Since our group started on the New Year, I think that maybe people have set Bikram Resolutions- stuff like trying new class hours/locations, taking class from as many instructors as possible, not diving for the water every chance they have.
saigon71
Posted 2011-01-11 3:54 PM (#126890 - in reply to #126869)

I am not a challenge person. I think they are great, but not for me, I need to take days off. I just try to go 3-4 a week and get a little better each class. I have extremely tight hamstrings so I am nowhere near able to do full expressions on many poses. Lately, I've shifted my goal from wanting to look better doing Bikram to cultivating this feeling of unmoveability in class and maintaining it in life as much as possible. One day, my hamstrings will give, and I will look the letter "T" from the side, in Standing Separate Head to Knee pose, and that will be awesome, but more importantly, I don't want to live my life letting all the stupid shit get to me that currently does.
TheJL
Posted 2011-01-13 3:10 PM (#126935 - in reply to #126869)

Saigon, I know the feeling. I've never been very limber. I have to tell myself a lot during class that it's about achieving the posture, and not being the most flexible. It's good that we recognize our limits. I do try to go deeper every day I can, though.

Hotlike, great entry! Thanks!

Posted 2011-01-14 1:34 PM (#127499 - in reply to #126869)

Saigon and JL, yes yes yes!

I am forever trying to remind my students of this. It doesn't matter what you look like when you're doing the posture. It just matter that you are trying the right way. As long as you're doing your best, you get 100% benefit from the practice. If you are stiff when you begin, then that's GREAT! You have soooo much room to improve. Every time you feel that tremendous stretching feeling, instead of thinking, "Oh shit, I'm so inflexible," you can think, "Hey this is great! I am getting more flexible at this very moment!"

I was all bendy when I started yoga and I could look like a perfect T from the beginning, but it didn't matter, my brain was still kind of a mess. I didn't have peace of mind. Now I would say that I do, or at least that I am a whole HELL of a lot closer!! That's thanks to yoga.
malnacido
Posted 2011-02-11 1:31 PM (#202568 - in reply to #126890)

New User

saigon71 - 2011-01-11 3:54 PM

I am not a challenge person. I think they are great, but not for me, I need to take days off. I just try to go 3-4 a week and get a little better each class. I have extremely tight hamstrings so I am nowhere near able to do full expressions on many poses. Lately, I've shifted my goal from wanting to look better doing Bikram to cultivating this feeling of unmoveability in class and maintaining it in life as much as possible. One day, my hamstrings will give, and I will look the letter "T" from the side, in Standing Separate Head to Knee pose, and that will be awesome, but more importantly, I don't want to live my life letting all the stupid shit get to me that currently does.

This....+1 sir...this is exactly why I began doing Bikram yoga. To learn to quiet the distractions and let the negative vibes wash over you and power through. That unmoveability you speak of translates to so many other facets of life (professional, social, romantic). Ultimately, the one who remains unaffected by life's distractions is the one who can think, analyze, and act clearly and from the heart.

namaste
StudioLiveTV
Posted 2011-04-18 3:29 PM (#208176 - in reply to #126869)

Congrats for taking the Challenge! Trying anything new is always a positive thing: you learn so much about yourself. To answer your question, my favorite pose is tree: it makes me feel so stable and strong and at peace. Good luck with your journey. I hope you enjoy every second of the ride!
TheJL
Posted 2011-04-19 12:55 PM (#208183 - in reply to #126869)

I completed my Challenge in March, and have felt wonderful ever since! I've been making it in to the studio about 4 times a week, and would like to make it 5.

I think my "favorite" posture changes every week. Lately I've been focusing on Bow- pointing my toes out and getting my knees 6 inches apart. I haven't been able to get very deep into the posture, but my placement is correct. The rest will come in time.

Does anyone have any pointers on Camel? I haven't been able to get my hands off my hips yet. In fact, I still get the "dizzy" feeling with my hands on my hips. They say to appreciate that, because that feeling goes away after a while. What do you think?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)