YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram "Beginner?" Series? Is there another?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

bennerdan
Posted 2010-11-02 1:17 AM (#125889)
Subject: Bikram "Beginner?" Series? Is there another?

I started last fall at a Bikram studio. 26 postures, half up half down... I switched to another studio for a multitude of reasons, but it's based on the same series.

I just got the Bikram CD by Bikram and it's labeled as "Bikram Beginner Series".

All Bikram studios from what I understand have to teach the 26 postures... So what is past the beginner series?

I've never heard of an advanced or otherwise. Any guesses?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-11-02 9:57 PM (#125904 - in reply to #125889)
Subject: Re: Bikram "Beginner?" Series? Is there another?

The Bikram class is really an all-levels class, but it's always been labeled as a BEGINNER'S class to let you know that everyone can do it, no experience required!

There is an advanced series that's practiced mainly by the instructors, but it's getting a bit more widespeard. Bikram's actually leading an advanced seminar in San Diego this week, which is open to the public (though not free!) Technically, the seminars are the only time when the advanced class is offered to the general public. They do a couple seminars a year. I wrote a blog post last winter describing the series, which you can read here:

http://keepitlocking.blogspot.com/2010/01/demystifying-bikrams-advanced-series.html

Incidentally, the beginner's class is still the best "workout" for your body in a lot of ways. At training, Bikram was saying that he practices advanced series a few times a week when he's in LA, but he doesn't like to do the regular class because "that beginner's series is a f***ing KILLER!" (That's one of my favorite Bikram quotes that I've heard in a while...)

Does that answer your question?
bennerdan
Posted 2010-11-10 11:45 PM (#126007 - in reply to #125904)

Very muchso. Thanks!
philippineyogi
Posted 2011-05-17 6:04 AM (#208404 - in reply to #125889)

You can check out Tony Sanchez Videos
callofsedona
Posted 2014-01-14 10:26 PM (#211280 - in reply to #125889)

Veteran

All 26 postures from the beginning series are in the advanced series. More accurately, all the postures in the beginning series come from the advanced series, which is the original set of postures that Bikram studied and practiced in India with Bishnu Ghosh.

So it's the 26 postures you know, plus the 58 that Bikram didn't think you (Westerners) would need in your daily practice. These include: sun salutations (yep!), a bunch of postures in lotus position, splits, arm balances (like crow), shoulder stand, really deep backbends (like full camel, full bow, and wheel), headstands, forearm stands, and handstands.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)