YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

question about becoming a yoga teacher
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

cy1
Posted 2010-08-27 5:14 PM (#124823)
Subject: question about becoming a yoga teacher

New User

Thank you all for your support ..this web site is wonderful!!

I have been thinking for quite some time to become a yoga teacher. I have done yoga for the past 12 years and enjoyed it immensely.
My concerns are, after completing the course and becoming a certified teacher, Will I be able to make a decent living from it? What would it take? working at a studio for a while to get practice ? or teaching privatly?

Especially in south Florida where I live, there seem to be so many studios and classes everywhere so I am not sure... I do know that yoga is very trendy and more more people have an interested in it.

I would really appreciate to hear from teachers like you and learn how was it for you?

Regards

Top of the page Bottom of the page
cy1
Posted 2010-08-28 1:35 PM (#124830 - in reply to #124823)
Subject: RE: question about becoming a yoga teacher

New User

wow...not all at once please

Maybe I asked a difficult question. Let me try to explain myself better.

I know it's like anything else in life.. meaning, I will have to work my way up there somehow, but still just wanted to hear some real life experiences from those of you who have been doing this for a while and earning a living from it.

How may classes you do have to teach in order to make a decent salary? How long did it take you to be where you are.. just your usual concerns - that's all.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences

Namaste

Edited by cy1 2010-08-28 1:42 PM

Posted 2010-08-28 2:47 PM (#124831 - in reply to #124823)
Subject: Re: question about becoming a yoga teacher

Welcome Carmela, you have indeed asked a difficult question. It depends on what you consider decent salary and "make a living" I believe. I've found the answer to these are both "no." Unless you are prepared to travel constantly among a bunch of studios or have the means to start your own and dedicate every waking moment to that for several years, OR are just such an amazing yoga teacher you are in constant demand, big $ is not in your future. If you want to go into in part-time to augment your income, learn and hone your teaching skills, and enjoy the experience, there's a very good chance of that happening. I can only speak from personal experience and from my personal relationships with other teachers. Starting out, you'll be lucky to get $25 a class and just a couple of times a week. Most classes are 60-90 minutes then add the time setting up and finishing off, travel adds into that so one class takes up at least 3 hours of your time. An option is hiring on to one of the big gyms in a related position and teaching yoga as a side--complimentary activities. A charter member of the forum here, Twisti, just started with Lululemon for example. Another, Mish, has a yoga clothes line in addition to teaching at several locations. I taught at a local college as adjunct faculty. I guess in short, especially the first few years, don't count on teaching income to support you.
cy1
Posted 2010-08-29 12:43 PM (#124832 - in reply to #124831)

New User

Thank you Bruce for your reply!! I appreciate it. It sure does explains what to look for and to be more in the know!!!

Namaste !!

have a wonderful day!

Posted 2010-08-29 1:03 PM (#124833 - in reply to #124823)

More than welcome. When I started teaching , I thought about making it a retirement career--still do in fact. But, at 50 I wasn't ready to retire. Places like the Spectrum and even the local college district wanted me, for example, to teach a class at one location in the AM, then drive to another part of the city, do another, then drive again and do another. Got in with a local start-up studio, one location but a crap studio--$20/class--4 times a week. The successful studio owners I know have a spouse working full time for the survival money and benefits.

Posted 2010-09-02 5:52 PM (#124886 - in reply to #124823)

Hi Carmela,

It can be very challenging to whip up a "salary" teaching yoga that financially supports ones's living. Some teachers do it and while that doing can be ONLY with yoga, many more (read: a majority) do something else to generate additional income for living.

For me the larger question might be "what other things can I do to create abundance in my life (prevent poverty consciousness) that will fit in with my path of yoga. As we look around it is apparent that some do not consider this but only consider "what can I do to make a lot of money?" - regardless of the deeper expense. When only this question is raised the answer is usually one that sacrifices the yoga in yoga (referred to as "selling out").

If you are creative, if you do THE work which the practice itself begs, if you understand business principles and are not put off by them, and if you are able to maintain organization and focus you can likely make a living teaching yoga. The trap door however is allowing one's craving, desire, or greed to lead the ship and this merely bolsters the ego. When that occurs with a yoga teacher the teachings become brittle, harsh, showy, about them, and filled with ego. And, sadly this is what manifests in the students who have pledged their allegiance to such things.

Edited by purnayoga 2010-09-02 5:53 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)