YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best for After Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

KenPol
Posted 2010-08-11 2:55 PM (#124621)
Subject: Best for After Bikram

Most people might run for a sports drink or water after a Bikram class but have you ever tried coconut juice? Young Coconut water naturally contains 5 essential electrolytes, more potassium than a banana, low acidity, no fat, no sugar added, and no cholesterol, organic coconut water is the natural, refreshing way to hydrate and replenish. Of course straight from the coconut is best, but some other favorites are C20s & Zicos.

I just started drinking this after and its amazing. Anyone else drink coconut juice after class and if not, what do you think is the best?

- K

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-08-11 5:12 PM (#124624 - in reply to #124621)
Subject: Re: Best for After Bikram

I'm a Guinness fan for after practice: antioxidant compounds in Guinness are similar to those found in certain fruits and vegetables and slow down the deposit of harmful cholesterol on the artery walls. Additionally, it has a relatively high iron content as well as vitamin B and benefits of lowering a proclivity for blood clots

(_39564693_203guinn3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments _39564693_203guinn3.jpg (19KB - 0 downloads)

Posted 2010-08-12 1:40 AM (#124629 - in reply to #124621)

LOL, Bruce. I saw a study that supports your choice in beverages--several men were told to run on treadmills to the point of exhaustion in heated rooms. They were given either water or beer to replenish. The ones who drank beer recovered more quickly! Go figure.

I take the controversial "regular water" stance. I drink filtered tap water from my blue metallic bottle in class, and then I drink about half of that, refilled from the sink after class. Yeah, baby. I roll in style.

Posted 2010-08-12 12:19 PM (#124632 - in reply to #124629)

"several men were told to run on treadmills to the point of exhaustion in heated rooms. They were given either water or beer to replenish. The ones who drank beer recovered more quickly! Go figure."

The ones who drank beer replaced electrolytes and sugars. The ones who drank water further diluted electrolytes and added no necessary glucose to their blood.

It is important to replenish electrolytes (salts) and carbohydrates (sugars) after working out and sweating. It is also good to eat protein, as it is needed to rebuild muscle that was stressed in the exercise. And yes, you do need to also replenish the fluids lost through sweating.

Edited by jimg 2010-08-12 12:22 PM
amyf
Posted 2010-08-12 11:36 PM (#124642 - in reply to #124621)

Veteran

this is passionate for me as I was in hosp due to low sodium!!!! you need to watch your levels people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you need more than mere water depending on how much you sweat ofcourse (some studios I do some not)
KenPol
Posted 2010-08-17 12:43 PM (#124694 - in reply to #124621)

Wow I had no idea about the magically effects of guinness! ha. I will definitely have to try that out!

- K
Posted 2010-08-18 9:42 AM (#124721 - in reply to #124694)

Expert Yogi

I'm a watermelon juice fan myself. It works great for the kidney's and replenishing the adrenals...which pretty much get overworked during Bikram. Watermelon also cools the fire element of the Heart, which is also stimulated due to the heat and nature of most of the postures,
bstern
Posted 2010-08-20 10:26 PM (#124744 - in reply to #124621)

New User

Drink Beer BEFORE Bikram Yoga!!!

Seriously, two days ago my friend and I were on schedule to hit our 4:30 class as usual when we got called to the bar for a farewell drink for one of our co-workers. At that moment we made up our minds for the experiment, "Beers with Bikram"

Exactly 2 hours before class we began drinking and each put down two pints of beer and I added a shot of patron for myself. We entered the room with an excellent buzz ready to kill ourselves for 90 mins. To my amazement I ended up having probably the best class in my one year of practice. It was literally one of my most fluid classes and we both completed every single posture. Class seemed to go by faster and I felt an incredible calm all throughout my body. It seemed as though the alcohol gave me tons of energy and obliterated any thoughts that would normally be running through my mind distracting my concentration.

Normally I eat nothing and drink tons of water 3-4 hours before class. Maybe It was the mental determination or just a lot of extra energy from the beer, who knows. All I can say is that I highly recommend trying it out, but do it with a friend. You'll be surprised at how awesome it is. We're soon gonna step it up and see how far we can push the envelope.
srtlac
Posted 2010-08-30 4:07 PM (#124855 - in reply to #124621)

New User

Another benefit to beer .... it's is made from hops, which are used in extract form to treat delayed onset muscle soreness!
ayavihsmona
Posted 2010-10-02 12:32 AM (#125317 - in reply to #124621)

New User

was it alcohol free guinness?

only then it would make any sense... as alcohol dehydrates, makes one drowsy, dizzy..
and is in general rathe counter productive.. ah' well, just a thought, I am not a purist though!
IDoThings
Posted 2010-10-02 2:23 PM (#125324 - in reply to #124621)

I noticed a real difference in my energy level after drinking coconut water before class (I had been drinking only after class). I wonder, tho, is it possible to overdose on electrolytes or potassium?
tourist
Posted 2010-10-03 10:13 AM (#125347 - in reply to #125317)

Expert Yogi

ayavihsmona - this is a long running "inside" joke on these forums. Our moderator Bruce is a great proponent of Guinness for all and sundry purposes.

Andre
Posted 2010-10-11 11:59 PM (#125475 - in reply to #124621)

Extreme Veteran

I don't like energy drinks. Just water. If I'm feeling like I need something, a burger and fries at my favorite tavern covers me for protein and salt. Mmmm, yeah.
vibes
Posted 2010-10-13 5:14 AM (#125496 - in reply to #124621)

Extreme Veteran

Just to warn you Bruce- Guiness is not vegeterian and contains fish. Andre-Burger and chips are generally not veggie either unless its a veggie burger. Why on earth do these manufacturers kill and put animals in drinks and food in this day and age is riddiculous.

Posted 2010-10-13 5:43 AM (#125498 - in reply to #124621)

Fish in Guinness-nay I say...only unstated ingredient in Guinness is goodness.
vibes
Posted 2010-10-13 9:38 AM (#125504 - in reply to #125498)

Extreme Veteran

Cool. Just wanted to make sure you know. Usually people tend to avoid fish as part of their yoga. I'm surprised really. Nut enjoy yourself!!!
Andre
Posted 2010-10-13 1:57 PM (#125508 - in reply to #124621)

Extreme Veteran

Vibes, I've never made any claim to being vegetarian. I'm totally fine eating meat. Not sure where you get the "Usually people tend to avoid fish as part of their yoga."
vibes
Posted 2010-10-14 6:41 AM (#125520 - in reply to #124621)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Andre- The main part of yoga is non violence (ahimsa in sanskrit), to yourself, others,animals and plants.Being vegeterian is essential for this, unless you eat an animal after it has died of natural causes.

Posted 2010-10-14 12:53 PM (#125523 - in reply to #125520)

Aren't you being violent to a plant by eating it alive?

vibes
Posted 2010-10-14 6:50 PM (#125524 - in reply to #125523)

Extreme Veteran

lol, so much more plants are actually consumed to support the meat industry.Arent you a veggie Jimg?

Posted 2010-10-14 7:06 PM (#125525 - in reply to #125524)

No, I'm not a veggie, I'm an animal.
Cyndi
Posted 2010-10-14 8:55 PM (#125527 - in reply to #125508)

Expert Yogi

Andre - 2010-10-13 1:57 PM

Vibes, I've never made any claim to being vegetarian. I'm totally fine eating meat. Not sure where you get the "Usually people tend to avoid fish as part of their yoga."

Me either. I once went to a yoga retreat and he told everyone if they couldn't be a vegetarian to try and eat only fish. Oh well....

For the record, I do eat meat. I do have fasting days and I do have vegetarian days as well. Lately, because of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, I decided NO MORE FISH, only because I am feeling really bad about what is happening to our oceans and I want to give the fish a break. However, that is my personal choice and I'm not judging others....just saying..

Have ya'll heard about the recent FrankenFish deal with GE Salmon???

They better leave my red wine alone, I'm not going to tolerate that!!!
Andre
Posted 2010-10-14 10:54 PM (#125531 - in reply to #124621)

Extreme Veteran

Vibes, I disagree with your interpretation/translation of ahimsa. Sanskrit definitions have many, many meanings. Ahimsa is also translated as do no harm. Frankly, I think we do more harm by not recognizing our roll in the life cycle. We are set squarely atop the food chain. And yet we have this other sense of ourselves and how we fit in our environment that we call intellect.

Because of this dual role, I believe it is our duty not to exploit the world we live in, but also not think we are above our rolls either. While no fan of “factory farming” (for animal or plants), I think it’s pure ego to suggest that we not fully participate in the food chain.
vibes
Posted 2010-10-15 8:13 AM (#125538 - in reply to #125531)

Extreme Veteran

The correct translation for ahimsa is non violence as I know a few sanskrit scholars/teachers in India and Europe and have discussed ahimsa several times as its one of my favourite topics. Even if it was do no harm that echoes my above post.

Cindi- A yoga teacher telling you you can only do this or that does not sound like a very good yoga teacher. Freedom is important in Yoga. The fact he is asking of you to eat only fish goes against ahimsa anyway. Sounds like a joker to me. It is everyones freedom to eat as they please. But if one is in a Yoga practice and are serious about it it is good to follow what is at the heart of yoga -ahimsa.
Cyndi
Posted 2010-10-15 9:43 AM (#125539 - in reply to #125538)

Expert Yogi

vibes - 2010-10-15 8:13 AM

Cindi- A yoga teacher telling you you can only do this or that does not sound like a very good yoga teacher. Freedom is important in Yoga. The fact he is asking of you to eat only fish goes against ahimsa anyway. Sounds like a joker to me. It is everyones freedom to eat as they please. But if one is in a Yoga practice and are serious about it it is good to follow what is at the heart of yoga -ahimsa.

No Joke and he is a highly respected Yoga MASTER. When you are under the guidance of a guru, they can say whatever the hell they want to. I don't take offense to that, I trust that they know what they're talking about because I don't usually sit for a week with a Yoga Master if I don't have some kind of interest in his background and principals. Now, on the other hand, it is up to me to take that advise or not - it's my choice, and always has been.

Vibes, you read too much into what people say around here. Not to mention you attack words and people when you don't even know them. This particular Yoga Master was of the vegetarian nature and understood completely the Western people's need for meat. My guru was a total meat eater and told me I ate grass and rabbit food - jokingly and lovingly. I made my own choices about what to eat in the long run.

About Ahimsa....Some of the most violent people I've ever met were vegetarians. If you look around at how meat and produce is farmed, with all the GMO's and GE food, that is extremely violent on every level...even what they do to plants is violent which in turn eventually kills the honey bees. We all know that when the honey bee has left the planet, humans will have maybe 4 years to survive on whatever food they have left.

Yes, Freedom is valuable in Yoga...HOWEVER, discipline is CRITICAL and without it and too much freedom, you'll end up as an Airy Fairy Yogi,
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)