YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Male Clothing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

ken
Posted 2010-07-21 11:31 AM (#124219)
Subject: Male Clothing

I wear a speedo while practicing Bikram Yoga.

I see no difference to a man wearing a speedo than to a woman wear form fitting clothing like shorts and a sports bra.

Is there an aversion to the male form? Why the double standard?

What if I said "ewweee," or "gross" to all the women I see in sports bras and form fitting shorts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yoga-addict
Posted 2010-08-02 10:53 AM (#124416 - in reply to #124219)
Subject: Re: Male Clothing

Veteran

there is no difference and no problem either- you go with your form-fitting speedo!
amyf
Posted 2010-08-03 1:20 AM (#124433 - in reply to #124219)

Veteran

yes, I think we can all agree about the ........camel toe!!! EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
but in all seriousness i think nothing of a guy in a speedo. GO FOR IT

Posted 2010-08-03 1:37 AM (#124434 - in reply to #124219)

is that a reaction you commonly encounter?
is it possible that you're just self conscious about it?

Posted 2010-08-03 7:42 AM (#124439 - in reply to #124219)

I think the fashion sense that we use on the street can easily be translated to the Bikram studio--if you're ugly and fat, cover up. If you're a lean mean strutting machine, show some skin.

Posted 2010-08-03 12:38 PM (#124445 - in reply to #124439)

I find it odd how current American culture encourages women to wear the most skimpy, form fitting clothing that shows as much as possible and men baggy, loose clothing that shows absolutely nothing.

Personally, I like to see the form of a healthy human body, male or female. I also enjoy the form of healthy animals, plants and pretty much all life forms (slugs, mold and certain insects excluded). For me, health and beauty are pretty much synonymous.

We are all sexual animals. Hiding such a predominant, universal trait is absurd. Excessive parading of it is also absurd.

I wonder if yoga has anything to do with balance?????

Posted 2010-08-03 1:18 PM (#124446 - in reply to #124219)

Jim, men have to cover up in order to maintain the power--a scantily clad/nude male with less than perfect phyique can't be a CEO, president, or dictaitor.
bennerdan
Posted 2010-11-02 1:14 AM (#125888 - in reply to #124219)

I was pretty concerned at first about clothing as a male, but after about 5 seconds into the series my focus goes far away from that.

I found my best, functional clothing is compression shorts. Adidas has a good pair that flex and are spandex. They aren't to accomodating for the junk and it does show somewhat. It presses down more than creates a pocket but they are good, dont hold too much sweat, show most of my leg and hip shape for locking the knee guidance, cool and flex with my movement.

Just putting this down in the thread as an option for you or for another male looking for clothing options besides swim trunks...
Andre
Posted 2010-12-16 7:06 PM (#126523 - in reply to #124219)

Extreme Veteran

I don't think most people look good in speedos/bikinis. More and more, I find the lack of modesty (and the mirrors) off-putting. It's one the reasons why I haven't been practicing Bikrams all that often the past year or so. But, what's fair for the girls is fair for the guys. So go for it, a speedo is certainly considered appropriate for Bikrams.

Posted 2010-12-16 7:11 PM (#126524 - in reply to #124219)

Since spam resurrected this thread, figured I'd best restate, if you're hot, show it off, if you're not, cover up. Of course I'm kidding--freaking hot yoga demands you dress comfortably with as little as YOU are comfortable with.

Posted 2010-12-17 12:59 PM (#126529 - in reply to #126524)

Have any of you who find Bikram's too immodest ever been to the beach? If so, was it a beach in Iran or a beach in France?

I think that modesty is more about what is considered appropriate in a particular culture (yes, Bikram's is a culture) than any hard and fast set of rules that apply universally. Bikram models the culturally acceptable apparel for his classes by wearing a speedo himself.

If bodies are somehow sinful and to be hidden, then why are you doing physical yoga?

If you say that you are doing physical exercises for the spiritual benefits, why are you doing physical exercises in a very hot room with a lot of other people instead of spiritual exercises by yourself in a cold cave?

Indian yogis have traditionally gone naked, covered with ashes (or as the Hatha Yoga Pradipika suggests, ashes mixed with semen), so I think that wearing a speedo is being very modest!

Andre
Posted 2010-12-17 8:17 PM (#126535 - in reply to #124219)

Extreme Veteran

Speaking only for myself... desiring a more modest environment to practice my Yoga has more to do with my current state of mind (wanting to avoid constant bombardment from visual stimulation) than critque of any cultural convention. And, my heavens, it certainly has nothing to do with thinking the body is sinful. Jaysus. Do you realize you come off as lecturing people, Jim?

Anyway, I'll say this about the mirrors... I've come to think it's not heathly to spend that much time looking at oneself in the mirror with such an intense focus. I think it lends itself to vanity. That's not to say it didn't work for me for a while. There was no where to run, and I had to deal with some things. However, it's not good for me now, and I don't think it's good over the long run either.

Posted 2010-12-17 9:36 PM (#126537 - in reply to #126535)

I totally agree that although mirrors can be helpful, too much focus on one's reflection seems to lead more to vanity than internalization of proper alignment. For me, the point of mirrors is to get objective external feedback as a check on the more subjective internal feedback. Critiquing or admiring your reflection has less value in my opinion.

People have told me before that I sometimes come off as lecturing. While it is probably obnoxious and I should try to limit it, it is how I write.

Even if you dislike my style, I hope that you find at least some of the content useful. (Both as something to emulate and something to avoid, depending.)

FinnOutlaw
Posted 2011-08-28 7:19 AM (#209110 - in reply to #124219)

New User

While I would not put a speedo on just yet...with the few times I have gone so far (and about to sign up for a whole year)...I can appreciate wearing something a bit smaller than my usual basketball shorts (I did find some addidas shorts with a spandex liner that I like)...but hiking my shorts up over my thighs breaks my concentration more than it should (I have a hard time walking and chewing gum, let alone trying to do some of the asana)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)