YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram Morning or Afternoon.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

GoogleBikram
Posted 2010-07-19 8:28 PM (#124186)
Subject: Bikram Morning or Afternoon.

Hi everyone...

I have general question in regards to the best time to practice bikram yoga to lose body fat.

When is the best time to practice?

*8am in the morning with or with breakfast?

*5:30pm in the afternoon?

My main aim is to lose the inches around my belly and cut down my total body fat percentage and cholesterol.

I would really appreciate your feedback, experiences and advise.

Thank You...

Cheers
GB.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yoga-addict
Posted 2010-07-27 1:53 PM (#124312 - in reply to #124186)
Subject: Re: Bikram Morning or Afternoon.

Veteran

In our teacher training, Emmy said the morning was better and especially to streeeetch in half moon to help trim your waistline. She also claimed that your body uses the calories it has in the first hour and the second 1/2 hour starts using "what's in the pantry"(she meant burning fat instead of glycogen). Emmy is one of the senior teachers and legend of bikram yoga.
I'm not so sure about the last- I wore a heart monitor for a class and I burned 500 calories. A normal body can have available for use about 1500 calories, so you shouldn't run out of calories and start burning fat in an average class. I guess you could though, if you didn't have breakfast and worked very hard. However to lose weight you need to eat less calories than you burn thru the whole day, so I don't think overall it matters that much when you take class. I'd recommend you eat a little something before the AM class, just something light. And keep in mind that when the body runs out of glycogen and starts burning fat- there's a reason they call that hitting the wall!

Posted 2010-07-27 4:37 PM (#124313 - in reply to #124312)
Subject: Re: Bikram Morning or Afternoon.

I have read in numerous sources that if you exercise (yoga, cardio, weights or whatever) on an empty stomach (3+ hours since last meal or snack) you will burn more fat as your blood sugar is lower. Once you go through the sugar in your blood, you must start metabolizing fat to produce energy. It is therefore very important to eat (low fat cottage cheese (protein) and dates (sugar) for example) after exercise to restore your blood sugar to normal.

Stretching in any particular pose will not make your waistline thinner. If you store fat around your middle, no amount of stretching (or crunches) will get rid of it. Only weight loss will. You unfortunately cannot target weight loss. You lose fat by metabolizing it. Your body will take it from everywhere you have it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)