YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

low blood pressure and yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

gogirl58
Posted 2010-07-15 2:54 AM (#124130)
Subject: low blood pressure and yoga

Extreme Veteran

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to tell everyone my experience. I have gone to Bikram for over 7 years. I take blood pressure medication. I experienced a few days of slight
light headedness after an intense class. I went to another class a few days later and I had difficulty walking out of the studio because of light headedness. I felt weird for a few days, spacy and very tired. Finally I checked my blood pressure and it was low, like 100 over 65. I am on medication for high blood pressure, so I halved my pills and all has been going well. I avoided class for about a week, but I now have gone to two classes without incident.
I have greatly cleaned up my diet in the last 2 months, and i am sure that led to a decrease in blood pressure.
I have told two teachers and they both know of students who have had similar experience. It seems you can live with low blood pressure, but Bikram can cause it to go much lower. I am not sure if this only occurs when the low blood pressure is caused by meds.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2010-07-15 10:04 AM (#124136 - in reply to #124130)
Subject: RE: low blood pressure and yoga

Expert Yogi

Wow gogirl, that is impressive! Goes to show that you must adjust several things in your life to get bp down. My SIL had a similar experience - cleaned up diet worked remarkably quickly.

Posted 2010-07-15 9:22 PM (#124148 - in reply to #124130)
Subject: Re: low blood pressure and yoga

This is not specific to Bikram only.

Congratulations on being able to reduce your medication - did you discuss the change with your doctor? I'm not familiar with blood pressure medication - but it's usually recommended that changes in medication be done with medical supervision.

The combination of regular practice and diet changes is truly life changing - congratulations again.

Vic
gogirl58
Posted 2010-07-16 11:44 PM (#124161 - in reply to #124148)
Subject: Re: low blood pressure and yoga

Extreme Veteran

I saw my Tibetan MD today. I told her about this. She said that it is good, but it is not all the diet and yoga, some of it is the Tibetan herbs. She also emphasized to decrease blood pressure medication very gradually. If you are diabetic, generally they recommend some blood pressure medication to protect your kidneys. It's good to have this knowledge, I think
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)