YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Perfection VS Perfection
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Posted 2010-06-28 12:35 AM (#123727 - in reply to #123723)
Subject: Re: Perfection VS Perfection

do you think he is malicious?
do you think that he feels he is helping people?
do you think any of these people feel helped by him?
just thoughts...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gogirl58
Posted 2010-06-28 4:23 AM (#123732 - in reply to #123723)

Extreme Veteran

Bow,
I never heard of an instructor being allowed to selling diet products during a yoga class.
THAT is so wrong. This guy could really hurt people. It doesn't matter too much to me if he is misguided, or malicious. He needs to stop. Does Bikram have an opinion on this subject?
This is like any abuse of power. It really annoys me that he is doing it in resting pose. That is when we are most open to suggestion. And He is selling products.

I have had an instructor show a product on the check in table. She did not sell it then, but did discuss it with me. This is less annoying then pushing it during class. and his nutrition information sounds harmful.
lockdaknee
Posted 2010-06-28 10:07 AM (#123737 - in reply to #123579)

Regular

SB - Peace Pilgrim is a spiritual teacher from the fifties.

IMHO If you are still upset about what he said to you over a week ago, you need to talk to him. If understanding is so important to you, break the ice already! Time to snap out of your pity party and move on!
StandingBow
Posted 2010-06-28 12:38 PM (#123739 - in reply to #123579)

Lockdaknee:

Pity Party? I'm not that base. The reality is I am interested in a conversation about said behaviors. Why? Because it's interesting. Second, because his actions have harmful consequences, beyond me, as this thread seems to suggest: ie. dangerous supplements, verbal attacks, etc. are, again totally inappropriate.

Again, the larger issue has to do with ideas (as I tried to explain in some detail) about who determines health, who's healthy, what's good or bad practice, what merits perfection, etc., especially in a yoga class, hence my reasons for generating and remaining activite in this post.

I am very curious as to why would you think it in your estimation to determine anyone else's gestation period for getting over insult, humbly opined or not? But maybe it would help, here, to expand on what I wrote -- hurt -- to be specific -- is the adjective I used.

This is different from being "upset," and to expand in keeping with yoga, I decided today (another class fighting being upset, and practicing with perfect form in the face of rage) to embrace being "hurt" to feel hurt in the course of the practice, as one of the many, many emotions that come up, and one has to contend with.

My hope in writing these posts is to add a dimension to the forum by obviating what it may mean to practice in the face of harsh instructors who do exist, and perhaps to help me gain some insights into the larger problems of not just this instructor, class, but maybe the practice itself.

Not all things get solved by simply "moving on" or adhering to versions of turning the other cheek, especially in the face of the ill willed. Any remedy to addressing injustice is personal, political, social and really, quite complicated.

But, to meet your advice head on, the idea of speaking to him? Maybe you can come in and do so! I have to breathe deeply and slowly to even walk into the studio, and when I see him, I cannot even look at him. I do have a therapist, so I will be speaking with her for sure, this week, about how to approach the situation with less effort. For now, I just want to go to class, keep breathing, getting through my yoga, and leave without any trouble on my mind.

I have to say though, my practice, is stronger than ever, so no need to pity, which is so far beyond the point of these posts.

SB

Edited by StandingBow 2010-06-28 1:08 PM
StandingBow
Posted 2010-06-28 1:14 PM (#123740 - in reply to #123739)

Picture This Gogirl:

One of the students next to me, barely getting through the poses, a strewn bottle of supplements, laid out next to her. These were described as containing such pills that would have the students "flying" through class.

W

T

F

?

SB

Posted 2010-06-28 3:10 PM (#123743 - in reply to #123740)

SB,
After reading what you have said, I would like to suggest either confronting the teacher for a "heart to heart" as soon as possible or finding another style of yoga to practice for a while, maybe Astanga or Power as you seem to like an intense practice. It sounds to me like you have too many negative feelings towards this practice at present and you need to either clear it up or move on.
Namaste,
Jim
gogirl58
Posted 2010-06-28 3:17 PM (#123744 - in reply to #123740)

Extreme Veteran

Did somthing like this happen, is that is visual you had during class?

Posted 2010-06-29 8:12 AM (#123754 - in reply to #123740)

StandingBow :-

I view yoga asana class a spiritual practice, hence, to connect with my instructor is important, I trust he/she teach with love and with good intentions.

There is a "celebrity guru" who mocked other instructor's teaching are of lower standards compared to his. The negative vibration he sent out was hurtful, I have not step into his class ever since.  I try not be affected by people like that, there are so many of them and we have no control over what they are doing.

If you feel something need to be corrected, take action, but do note allowing yourself to getting angry or hurt can become a habit. In yoga, angry thoughts are vrittis which causes pain to our lives, they are created by our mind, not from outside. 

Hope you find your way out soon, do not feel others are victims, they too need to learn from experiences, and they should learn to protect themselves.

Namaste

Posted 2010-06-29 11:38 AM (#123757 - in reply to #123579)

Excellent words to live by StandingBow: "Not all things get solved by simply "moving on" or adhering to versions of turning the other cheek, especially in the face of the ill willed."
StandingBow
Posted 2010-06-29 3:27 PM (#123759 - in reply to #123579)

Thanks Jim, point taken, and I'll elucidate later. And yes gogirl58, this picture was/is reality. ataraayaah, I think anger and hurt (like all emotions) are important, and please know that after practicing most every day for 3 years, this is the first time anyone has commented on my body type, weight, etc. This particular hurt and anger is not without critical and creative understanding, and the challenge is how to figure out a way to restore balance, which means addressing what's misaligned from the attack, then I may reconnect (in a non hostile way) with this instructor, in time.

And Bruce, thanks for the reassurance, because I think justice is as important as forgiveness.

Now, I have to say, today's class at my home studio was amazing! I needed a compassionate and intelligent teacher to talk with, and she helped me to see how this instructor has lost his way, which is a good way to think of a leader who abuses power, especially under the auspices of helping their followers. She was, as many are in this forum, mortified at the thought of a teacher discussing weight issues with a student, and even further blown away about the supplement/meal replacement “drug” sales going on.

She also pointed out that there are insurance issues with such, not to mention the danger of misinformation associated with the practice of selling pills, etc. in the studio. Is he trained in this area? Is he qualified by degree?

Now, beyond the conversation, I just needed to get back to a studio that isn't haunted by the negligence of a "lost" instructor, and I realized, in the last few days, that I am not moving on from this practice. Jim, if you're reading this, thank you, again, I do understand your suggestion, and in some ways, it makes sense, but I feel like negativity is an ambient part of practicing any kind of healthy, spiritual practice, and to leave a practice or a studio because of "negativity" seems like a way of abandoning the very resources daily meditation (in this case yoga) that a thoughtful Bikram practice may provide.

There are whack-jobs teachers in Bikram, as I'm certain there are in every practice, but I am not one to give up something I’ve accepted and earned as a daily practice, especially in the face of one person's unfortunate actions as a "teacher".

Also, I spoke to my local instructor about speaking to him, and I may, in time, but for now, I'm going to enjoy the fact that my practice brought me in the presence of a terrible comment made by someone I trusted, and I just have to have faith that my work in the studio and on my practice (in and out of the class) will give me the grace to continue as all the parts move, whether hurt, perfect, sound, complicated, enraged, or joyful, like today.

SB

Edited by StandingBow 2010-06-29 3:30 PM

Posted 2010-06-29 5:19 PM (#123760 - in reply to #123759)

SB,
Although conflict is unavoidable, my experience has been that when it occurs, it is usually best to either resolve that conflict, or to accept it and move on. I have found that holding on to conflict has never worked very well for me. Hope this clarifies what I was trying to say and is in some way helpful.
Jim
psimmons
Posted 2010-06-29 6:34 PM (#123761 - in reply to #123579)

As Bikram says "if anyone can steal your joy, your peace away from you, you are the looser". Love that quote and struggle with it each day.
StandingBow
Posted 2010-06-30 12:45 AM (#123767 - in reply to #123579)

Jim,

Thank you, what you write is helpful, and I do think, from the start, you were being clear. In my experience, I think recognizing what makes up conflict, and understanding how it might be synthesized directs one to the long process of dealing with the very nature of any given conflict. Now, as slippery as this may be, whether one chooses to internalize, let go, move on, or in the end, confront conflict are complicated matters. I tend to choose to engage with conflict as fully as possible, which for me, isn't quite holding on, but rather, a matter of embracing it as a site of possibility through the process of moving toward understanding, no matter the inevitable and unpredictable tension.

& psimmons -- I have been keeping this quote in my head so many of these last few days. Thanks!

SB

Edited by StandingBow 2010-06-30 12:48 AM

Posted 2010-06-30 1:52 AM (#123769 - in reply to #123767)

SB,
I sincerely hope that when this is over, both you and your practice will have benefited.
Jim
StandingBow
Posted 2010-06-30 7:12 AM (#123775 - in reply to #123579)

Thanks Jim. I'm optimistic, and growing through the experience and process, in practice and, in person.

Best of luck in your practice as well.

SB
amyf
Posted 2010-07-01 9:18 AM (#123804 - in reply to #123579)

Veteran

We have two studios in town as well one BIKRAM and one HOT YOGA ..... I had my major conflict with the owner at the BIKRAM studio after I broke my hip and was unable to do many of the poses in the traditional way. I have had four surgeries on my hip in the last year and now it is all healed and fixed and I am back to bendy full self (with no pain!) but..... after each surgery was a period of rehab and range of motion precautions I HAD to obey in order to protect my hip. After my last surgery I choose to rehab in the hot studio and continue to practice there. My girlfriend invited me to go to the bikram studio for a class to celebrate a special day with her. I am going today back to the old place....... should be good and I am curious. will let you know

Posted 2010-07-01 10:06 AM (#123805 - in reply to #123579)

Congrats on a full recovery Amy--looking forward to your report!
StandingBow
Posted 2010-07-01 1:25 PM (#123815 - in reply to #123579)

Wow Amy, Inspiring! Four surgeries -- you are a powerful person, for sure. Enjoy the special yoga day -- can't wait to hear the news!

SB
amyf
Posted 2010-07-02 12:02 AM (#123828 - in reply to #123579)

Veteran

well.... I am back from class and it was an interesting experience I am glad I was brave enough to do lol
I went in excited to see the old faces of students I have missed and was taken back to my first days when I started. It was a nice reunion and I was greeted warmly by everyone.
However..... I am glad I am at the studio I go to!!!
the bikram studio has carpet and my studio has gorgeous cork floors and is much more modern and cleaner.
the bikram is harsh and loud and has this cookie cutter impersonal and intense feeling where as my studio is warm and gentle with very personal attention and soft voices with no microphones
I also found my studio had more comfortable conditions... the bikram recently had a steamer put in (which I had heard and was dying to see!!) i love it hot and juicy (the reason I LOVE my sauna)
however I was surprised to go in and find it not hot AT ALL . it was wet yes but cold and also very crowded. so even though I was sweating more I found it very uncomfortable like coming out of a pool. cold and wet.
at my studio I may not sweat as much but I always feel warm in my body and am always at least a little juiced up by end of class..
so I am glad I went and even gladder to get back to my reg studio
cheers !!!

Posted 2010-07-05 4:01 AM (#123928 - in reply to #123579)

Speaking as a Bikram yoga instructor (!!!!) in response to the original post: That's just ridiculous. Your instructor is way out of bounds. He is not doing his job properly. Period. We were told a thousand times at training, DON'T try to play nutritionist, DON'T play personal trainer, DON'T give diet advice, just teach the 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises, as well as you can. Give good energy, and give the best information about the yoga that you can give. If I were a studio owner, that person would not work for me.

The thing is, there are more than 7,000 certified Bikram instructors floating around out there. Some are fine, some are amazing, some are insane (screw loose brains), some are brilliant, some are lovely, and some of them just kind of suck at their jobs. (This is true of every profession, of course.) If you run into one of those folks with loose screws rattling around, just disengage. Their issues are not your problem.

But please don't think poorly of the practice just because there are some weird teachers out there!! I think you understand that already, but I do have to say it.
StandingBow
Posted 2010-07-05 2:06 PM (#123938 - in reply to #123579)

Thanks thedancingj -- my membership to said studio expires today, and I was considering canceling, but a stroke of luck or a stroke of the holiday leaves the awful teacher out of town. So, I had a great few classes in the tyrant's studio, and wonderful as usual classes at my other studio in another state last week, so feeling pretty good. If I renew, I'll just ignore him, and in the end, I like your numbers game, and plop him in the pool of people you bespeak. And Amy, so happy that you found a place to practice to your utmost, and sounds like you are having so much fun, which, is what it's about right? Best Wishes, SB
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)