YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What do you think of my technique?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

MelSilversmith
Posted 2010-06-08 3:34 PM (#123405)
Subject: What do you think of my technique?

I posted a simple meditation technique on my blog and would like to get opinions or if you want to share similar techniques then it is most welcome.

Here is the URL http://yoga-with-melissa.com/my-simple-meditation-pattern.

Namaste!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Peter
Posted 2010-06-09 12:37 AM (#123413 - in reply to #123405)
Subject: Re: What do you think of my technique?

Hi Melissa,

Nice little technique!

Like you say in your article, it should work great for many people to give a quick focusing/relaxation break during a long day at work.

In essence, it could be considered a kind of pranayame technique, though a gentle and relatively non-intrusive one.

I personally am wary of offering any kind of aggressive pranayama advice for "general consumption" (and I'm not suggesting your technique is aggressive!). Becoming aware of the intention to breath can, for some people over time, lead to problems with their natural breathing patterns.

I don't sense this should be a concern with your method. You might, on the other hand, consider making it slightly more general, something like:

- inhale, hold briefly, and exhale for about twice the length of your inhalation

- inhale a little more slowly, hold briefly, and exhale again for about twice the length of your inhalation

- inhale a little more slowly again, hold briefly, and exhale for the last time for about twice the length of your inhalation

This should help people remain within their own specific breath pattern, rather than imposing a structured one based on time.

You could also suggest applying a little ujjayi on the exhalation to help slow the breath down without using the muscles of exhalation, which can cause subtle tension.

Hope that helps!

In Joy!

Peter

Edited by Peter 2010-06-09 12:41 AM
Peter
Posted 2010-06-09 7:24 AM (#123424 - in reply to #123405)
Subject: Re: What do you think of my technique?

Hi again Melissa,

I liked your technique so much I posted it slightly modified on my blog with a link to your page. I hope you don't mind. If you do, let me know and I'll take it down right away.

Here's the link: http://www.MeditationMojo.com/100609/quick-break-relaxation-meditation-technique

In Joy!

Peter

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)