YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Samadhi - Awakening beyond all identifications
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

AndreasMamet
Posted 2010-06-06 8:27 AM (#123354)
Subject: Samadhi - Awakening beyond all identifications

Much is being written about awakening (Sanskrit: Samadhi) these days and often I find it described as an experience that constitutes a type of enhancement for the spiritual seeker once s/he has found Samadhi. The seeker becomes a special edition. A seeker+ model. A model with turbo charge.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The experience of Samadhi is inseparably intertwined with the annihilation of the seeker. The arising of Samadhi is equal to the cessation of the seeker. Samadhi is the suspension of the mind-self structure.

The mind exists in its never-ending function as an entity that hijacks identifications. It does so relentlessly, without ceasing. When it says, “I am hungry”, it identifies with a sensation in the stomach. When it says, “I am angry”, it identifies with an emotion. And the list goes on forever. Each time the mind expresses an identity notion it perpetuates an existential lie. We all know how this looks like in a worldly context when we encounter notions of “I am rich and famous” and the resulting modalities of arrogance and self-absorbedness.

It is interesting to observe that these exact same mind dynamics are transferred straight into the realm of the spiritual. The mind-self continues the usual modalities without so much as a blink. It rolls with the flow. Now the identities have morphed into “I am a powerful meditator.” Now we are somebody who can say “I channel God, Mother Mary or St. Germain.” Now our new ID is “I am close to God” (and you better listen to what I tell you). With the continuation of such notions, arrogance and self-absorbedness simply remain alive and well even though working in different disguise.

The very fist line of Pantanjali’s Yoga Sutras is “Yoga Chittam Vritti Nirodha.” Yoga is achieved when all motions of the mind have ceased. In other words, when the mind’s capacity for hijacking identifications comes to a full stop.

Samadhi is the experience of the opening of one’s inner space. In that opening of the inner space the mind-self simply disappears. In that disappearance all processes of identification evaporate.

Samadhi is the presence of a silence so vast, the mind-self does not survive the arising of this presence. In the reality of this presence, the mind must be absent. Therefore, Samadhi and mind-self do not exist simultaneously. They cannot. If the mind-self is, Samadhi is not. If Samadhi is, the mind-self is not.

In India there exists a spiritual tool that is designed to navigate the meditator to the final goal, the ultimate Here Now, which is Samadhi. This tool is called “Neti Neti”. It means “Neither this nor that.” Each time the meditator detects an identity arising inside, s/he is advised to reflect “I am not this.” The next identity arises, again s/he reflects, “I am not that.” This technique is part of the practice of Gyan Yoga, the Yoga of the intellect, since it utilize the intellect to actually go beyond the intellect. It guides the meditator to experience freedom from all identifications: Samadhi.

In Samadhi the seeker disappears. What remains is the stream of experiencing. All separation between object and subject has disappeared. All nouns have vanished, what remains is the verb. What is left is the process of experiencing in the electrifying acuteness of THIS VERY MOMENT.

The event of Samadhi is very shocking. No amount of creative imagination will prepare for this experience. The first time it happened, I was 21 years, after three years of intense yogic training. I sat in meditation and focused on a spot two inches above my head, visualizing a flame. Then I visualized entering the core of the flame. All of a sudden, from the core of the flame, space began to open rapidly and an incredible vastness unfolded in which my self and any thought activity disappeared completely. The shock penetrated my system to the marrow. Samadhi is like a death, since it erases life and our perception as we know it. Depending on the power and depth of the Samadhi, it can take months or even years to integrate the event. Samadhi also creates a contrast in the sense that for the first time there is awakening and in that awakening there arises the recognition that life prior to that immense opening was a life of deep sleep.

Yogic scriptures differentiate between Sarbij and Nirbij Samadhi. The former means “with seed” and the latter means “without seed.” What this means in actuality is that the mind-ego structure does return after the event of Sarbij Samadhi. Not only does it return, but in most cases the mind–ego structure hijacks and claims the event, if not prevented by an awareness capable of witnessing the dynamics at play. Existentially speaking, this is very humorous: the mind is claiming no-mind. Words are claiming Silence. The very second that mind is claiming the experience of no-mind corruption has been activated.

While the mind-ego structure returns after Sarbij Samadhi, after Nirbij Samadhi it does not. Thus Nirbij Samadhi is the experience of Enlightenment and Sarbij Samadhi is not; it is a glimpse of enlightenment. There are people who have had Sarbij Samadhi experiences and mistake this for enlightenment. And immediately they go out and give Satsang to others, proclaiming their lofty state. Enlightenment is not the case. Hundreds or thousands of Sarbij Samadhis can take place prior to the event of the Samadhi of No Return.

I wish to emphasize that the experience of Samadhi does not create infallibility. Even those rare beings that are fully anchored in Samadhi retain the human capacity for committing mistakes on various levels. Learning continues. The universe evolves forever and so do we.

How to access Samadhi?

There are many different kinds of meditation techniques: Whether they work simply depends on you and the technique being compatible. There is focus on the Hara, the heart chakra, the third eye, and the top of your head. There is Kriya meditation. Samadhis that arise from working with each of those gates are notably different from each other. Samadhis that arise from the Hara have a very powerful earthy, grounded quality. Heart Samadhis come with an inexpressible sweetness and ecstasy. Third eye Samadhis are cool and luminous. Top chakra Samadhis can be immensely shocking.

It may be interesting to note that Samadhi experiences take place in high-intensity sports, during sex, and in the arts, such as dancing, music, painting, etc. However, since these contexts are utterly devoid of direct training, people may experience great confusion in response to the event. If Samadhi happens in the context of a genuine mystery school, at least there is conscious training to prepare.

A human being who has experienced Samadhi will be altered forever. The experience represents an oceanic freedom beyond anything that could be described and for that reason it is a haunting event that can only propel us to seek out situations and conditions where Samadhi happens again. And again and again. Until one day the seeker has disappeared forever and returns no more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QKo_ETsVz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsHjXxAGRBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBnYqy8ja_0

www.powerofmantra.com

Top of the page Bottom of the page
AndreasMamet
Posted 2010-06-15 4:37 AM (#123496 - in reply to #123354)
Subject: Re: Samadhi - Awakening beyond all identifications

If you are interested to read more on meditation-related subjects, please go to www.teachingsinparis.blogspot.com

Posted 2010-06-16 3:59 PM (#123508 - in reply to #123354)
Subject: RE: Samadhi - Awakening beyond all identifications

AndreasMamet - 2010-06-06 5:27 AM

A human being who has experienced Samadhi will be altered forever. The experience represents an oceanic freedom beyond anything that could be described and for that reason it is a haunting event that can only propel us to seek out situations and conditions where Samadhi happens again. And again and again. Until one day the seeker has disappeared forever and returns no more.

Why do you want to escape?

Why do you want to disappear?

Aren't you just slavishly seeking experience, with Samadhi as the "ultimate" experience?

Isn't this desire at in it's most obsessive form?

What you are describing sounds like addiction, not freedom.

Wouldn't it make more sense to learn to enjoy (joy in what is) what you have rather than lusting (desire for that which isn't) after altered states?

I have experienced the states that you are describing in sex, musical performance, observing nature and other situations. I have also let them go, as if you hold on to experience and try to re-create it, it is an obsession and gets in the way of experiencing the unique reality that is right now. Truth repeated is no longer truth! (This is also true of holding on to negative experiences.) Right now is something that you experience through awareness, not trying to experience a pre-determined experience, whether that experience is your fantasy of "Samadhi" or your memory of a past experience.

Reality is right here, right now. You only have to relax, open your senses and experience it without all the preconcieved ideas about it. This requires the heroism to actually experience both the pleasure and the pain, as they are both reality, part of life.

Really live your life! Don't try to escape it. It is very short, so live it with passion: feel, love, give, accept!

AndreasMamet
Posted 2010-06-17 3:16 AM (#123522 - in reply to #123354)

Perfectly spoken for an expert.
AndreasMamet
Posted 2010-06-17 5:38 PM (#123537 - in reply to #123354)

PS: I do not know who you are. But I weighed your words and find them lacking in depth and discernment. Therefore, I do not require your words and I return them to you unused. I rather remain in the company of those madmen with similar obsession, the Rumis, the Ramanas, the Nisargadattas and the Shakyamunis.

Posted 2010-06-17 7:58 PM (#123545 - in reply to #123537)

Despite my lack of depth and discernment, I wish you the best and hope that your path leads somewhere where you will find what you seek.

AndreasMamet
Posted 2010-06-18 3:27 AM (#123550 - in reply to #123354)

Indeed, despite your lack of vision that does not realize that the world does not require to function the way you do, I hope this state is only temporary, like everything else.
Andreas Mamet
http://www.amzn.com/B003NE6DDI
"To share the Dharma with people not ready for it, is disrespectful to the Dharma. To share the Dharma with people deeply steeped in it, is disrespectful to the people." Lama Tenzin

Edited by AndreasMamet 2010-06-18 3:28 AM
Peter
Posted 2010-06-19 9:47 AM (#123574 - in reply to #123354)

Hi Andreas and Jim,

I'm just curious if either one of you might entertain the possibility that you are both 100% right.

After all, all we can "know" is that which we can know - that is to say, what has been available within our experience during the particular set of events we like to refer to as ourselves, our lives, etc.

Now, there are obvious cases in which we can be entirely wrong. We might "know" that a coiled object on the ground is a snake when, in fact, it turns out to be a piece of rope. In a similar vein, we might put forth a theory justifying genocide when the social contract of the society within which we live invalidates such claims.

But your disagreement is not about physical objects or social agreements, but rather spiritual perceptions.

And I would like to suggest that each of us represents a very particular and specific outlet/inlet for the perception and experience of spiritual events. There is simply no way I can ever be right for you or you right for me. Nor can I ever be wrong for me nor you wrong for you.

So (setting aside the inevitable round of "but he said" accusations), I wonder if we can simply and humbly accept and honor the wondrousness of the infinite expressibility of Totality?

Naturally, I may be 100% wrong in all this... :-D

In Joy!

Peter

Posted 2010-06-19 11:03 PM (#123591 - in reply to #123574)

Hi Peter,
I do not mean to argue with Andreas here or be right or win an argument. My intent is to simply put forth some other points of view for the general readers of this forum to consider. Thank you for your words.
Namaste,
Jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)