YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pose questions
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

psimmons
Posted 2010-05-28 8:37 PM (#123207)
Subject: pose questions

I have legs way longer than normal for my arm/torso length. Combined with super tight hamstrings, I have never come close to touching toes. Pre Bikram it was mid shin...though I think by the end of this summer I will be close (within an inch or so now)

Because of this I can not come close to either standing separate leg or head to knee.

Can someone tell me is it better to bend the knees for either of these poses or keep knees straight.

I know for head to knee bikram's taps says many times "if you bend the knee its over" and I can do this with my hand towel as a strap around the toes...or I can bend the knees 20 degrees or so grab the toes

Similar for standing separate leg, if I bend a good 20 degrees or more I can get my hands to the floor...but bikram says on the tape "if you can not touch your head to the floor (yea, like that will ever happen), don't worry, perfectly normal, just open you feet, more, and more, and more"

So which is it, open feet (which i feel in my tight hips} or bend knees and work to get head to floor which works my tight hams.

Appreciate any insight

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jtho
Posted 2010-05-29 6:11 PM (#123235 - in reply to #123207)
Subject: Re: pose questions

psimmons - The way I understand it, you should be trying to do everything the right way to see the benefits, regardless of making your form look nice.

"If you bend the knee, it's over" - this refers to the standing leg, not the kicking-out leg. Make sure your standing leg is straight when you kick out, and then work on straightening the kicking-out leg slowly. A few millimeters at a time, you will get there eventually.

Same for standing separate leg - work on locking the knees (contracting your quadiceps) before anything else. Pull your head closer to the floor, but if you have to release the quads, then back up and lock them again before pulling your head closer (but don't lose the tension in the grip). If you pull too hard to get into your hamstrings with your quadriceps relaxed, you risk tearing/pulling your hamstring (and I speak from experience on this one).

I'm sure someone with more experience than me can jump in here too. You may also want to speak with a teacher at your studio that you trust.
Cyndi
Posted 2010-06-17 10:00 AM (#123530 - in reply to #123207)
Subject: RE: pose questions

Expert Yogi

Hi there,

YES, you should bend the knees, especially if your hamstrings are tight. Then you can work at straightening your LEG, or in the case of Standing Separate Leg Head to Floor - you would work on pushing - not over exerting or forcing beyond your capacity, your thighs out and upward (that is really something a teacher needs to show you and my description is not very good). You don't want to hyper-extend your knees, it's very bad for your knees, its very bad alignment. I don't understand why Bikram tells people this,

P.S. Moderator Bruce...Glenda???...this is forum is so funny, why does it say that Bikram is spelled wrong???

Posted 2010-06-17 11:54 AM (#123531 - in reply to #123207)

Cyni loo--where does it say Bikram is spelled wrong?
Cyndi
Posted 2010-06-17 12:33 PM (#123532 - in reply to #123531)

Expert Yogi

When you type it it flags it red as it is mis-spelled. I'm using the rich format I think??

Posted 2010-06-17 3:57 PM (#123535 - in reply to #123532)

Oh, probably just not part of the dictionary that checks the spelling--all is well.
Cyndi
Posted 2010-06-17 11:46 PM (#123548 - in reply to #123535)

Expert Yogi

Bruce - 2010-06-17 3:57 PM

Oh, probably just not part of the dictionary that checks the spelling--all is well.

Well, don't you think you should do your moderator job and add it to the spell check Bruce?? I mean after all we are talking Hindu/Sanskrit language here, and that goes for all the mantras too! heehee LOL

Posted 2010-06-18 9:59 AM (#123558 - in reply to #123548)

Cyndi, as a moderator, I'm empowered to do exactly what I'm told--only our lovely and talented administrator (that'd be Piel) can do the behind the scenes wizardworks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)