YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling merchandise in the studio
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

yogamaggie
Posted 2010-05-17 7:43 PM (#122974)
Subject: Selling merchandise in the studio

I'm wondering if any studio owners, managers or teachers have any good tips for getting into merchandise in the studio. I don't want to turn the studio into a shopping mall but I thought it wouldn't hurt to sell some items for extra cash. Any thoughts about how to do this and/or any suggestions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-05-20 10:41 PM (#123039 - in reply to #122974)
Subject: Re: Selling merchandise in the studio

the number one rule of merchandise is movement--whatever you are selling needs to *fly* off the shelves.

in my experience working in yoga studios, very little flies off the shelves.

here is what moved:

*yoga mats
*yoga pants in basic colors (black, navy) in S/M/L/XL for women
*yoga tops that changed in color seasonally or had were the brand of the business in S/M/L/XL

everything else--yoga pants, shirts, props, anything "lifestyle-like" such as books, CDs, etc--sat on the shelves and were very hard to 'move' out of the shop, *even on sale*.

a friend of mine doesn't hold merchendise, but she does "trunk shows" and "general orders."

every few months, she makes an announcement that she's going to do a mat order. people order the mat that they want (it's a jade harmony order), and she puts it in. she won't order until she has the right number to get the good wholesale price, and then sells them for the retail price.

for the trunk shows, she has a number of connections with small, independent yoga clothing designers. she invites them to come every three months for an event weekend. typically, we start with yoga with live music followed by a bit of a party on friday. saturday is our normal yoga schedule, followed by a lunch and then a time to shop. a lot of people just stay after yoga class and shop. people mark down their orders (retail), and she is sold the clothing wholesale, so she makes a little profit.

this way, she *never* has inventory, and yet also makes a little bit of money on the side.

she always chooses very unique clothing when doing these trunk shows, so it's not stuff that you would get at another yoga studio or what have you.
tourist
Posted 2010-05-21 10:08 AM (#123051 - in reply to #122974)
Subject: RE: Selling merchandise in the studio

Expert Yogi

We have a tiny sales display and sell blocks, belts, mats, shirts, eye rests, blankets, sand bags and bolsters. Our most lucrative item is bolsters, partly because they are not readily available in stores, as a lot of the other stuff is now, and partly because they are made by volunteers (ie, me and a few others) and the studio only pays for the materials. And we are all serious bargain hunters, so I just got enouigh fabric for half a dozen bolsters for $25.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)