YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

An Introduction and Mat Question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

payslee
Posted 2010-04-22 10:16 PM (#122474)
Subject: An Introduction and Mat Question

Greetings all! I am new to the forums, and fairly new to the Bikram practice. On and off for about 6 months, and I have now chosen to really dedicate myself. With that, I have a question for y'all about mats.

I was using a sticky mat with a bath towel, but the combination was less than ideal for me. I was slipping on the towel, and sticking to the mat (if I flipped it to the side for the triangle pose and standing knee to head).
So I bought a Bandha mat, and while I loved the mat, (the size and the thinness-I could lay it right on the floor and eliminate slipping) it was so rough, the tops of my feet were raw and chafed after doing the floor series.
Enter the Breathe mat..with the Rabbit Flap. This was the worst. It slipped everywhere, the top and the bottom layers were not connected throughout the length of a mat (I was hoping it would be, much like a quilt) and the thing bunched up, shifted around and was just a total drag. I am bummed because that mat was expensive, but hey..you live, you learn right?

So I ask you all, what is your favorite mat and why? Do any of you use either the Bandha mat or the Breathe mat, and if so, any suggestions? (as in, maybe one will soften with use while the other will become more stable?) For now, I will continue with trial and error, but I am interested to hear other experiences :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-04-23 12:58 AM (#122478 - in reply to #122474)
Subject: Re: An Introduction and Mat Question

Hi Payslee! Welcome back to Bikram! (not that I'm a spokesperson or anything ;-)

We don't turn our mats in our classes, just the towel. I just a cheap-o Target Gaiam mat and bring a bath towel. You turn the towel for triangle, but you can kinda step over it. Are you worried because your feet are touching the wrinkly towel? Triangle slippage is an issue for some people. I guess I'm in such a "survival mode" I don't even think about it!

Edited by Randomfemale 2010-04-23 12:59 AM
2690aday
Posted 2010-04-23 2:12 AM (#122479 - in reply to #122474)
Subject: RE: An Introduction and Mat Question

The best towel that I have found that doesn't slip at all and can be washed over 1000 times is yogitoes, I love it and wish I had 6 more. I don't know anything about turning your towel for triangle, we always turn our bodies not our towels.
payslee
Posted 2010-04-23 11:17 AM (#122485 - in reply to #122479)

Thanks for the input And my explanation was messy...we don't turn out towels, I just flip the towel back so that I am stepping on the mat when we do triangle. We just turn our bodies as well. And the thing that slips is more me than the towel...The towel stays put but my feet are coated in teflon or something, because I just slide right out of the position!

I did do a bit more research last night and I heard of people sprinkling water on their towels to get more foot grip...like seasoning a pan. Maybe my towel is still too dry for my feet to grip when we get to those poses? I figured I could give that a shot.

2690aday...are you talking about the noslip yogitoes towel with the little nubbies on the back? I may have to give that a try...
payslee
Posted 2010-04-23 9:51 PM (#122496 - in reply to #122485)

Just wanted to update....apparently there was an anomaly in some of the Breathe mats, and the company is very kindly sending me a second mat to try out. Their customer service thus far has been incredibly helpful, by the way!

So I am going to give the second Breathe mat a shot and see what happens.
amyf
Posted 2010-04-23 10:11 PM (#122497 - in reply to #122474)
Subject: Re: An Introduction and Mat Question

Veteran

love the yogitotes towel too !!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)