YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pain with Yoga practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

Robyngirl
Posted 2010-03-25 8:19 PM (#122149)
Subject: Pain with Yoga practice

I have pain in my sacrum, lower back and hip area. I am taking a teacher's training course and the tightness and pain seems to be getting worse and is preventing me from the ability to do twists, etc. Anyone have an idea of what I may or may not be doing that is causing this to happen?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-03-26 1:46 AM (#122155 - in reply to #122149)
Subject: Re: Pain with Yoga practice

Tightness of hamstrings and incorrect methods of standing and sitting forward bends can lead to damge and pain of the SI joint.If your back is rounded and/or you are pulling your self forward in forward bends you could be damaging your SI joint.
Twisting is likely to be very painful if the SI joint is damaged and can make the problem worse.
Please speak to your teacher about it.

Edited by flyingmonkey 2010-03-26 1:49 AM
prana_guy
Posted 2010-03-26 9:57 AM (#122157 - in reply to #122149)

Flyingmonkey is right. You need to speak to your teacher. If you're doing an Anusara TT then your teacher is Certified and well able to advise you about this.

It could be a lot of things that are the root cause, but with relation to twists particularly, you need to keep your awareness in your spine. The lumbar spine is very poor at axial movement, ie it doesn't twist very well. The vast majority of the twist is in the thoracic spine. If you have a tight ribcage/thoracic spine then it could be that when you do twists you're jamming your lumbar spine trying to force the twist. Remember that it twist we should be using our arms to mobilise the twist not force it. Keep your spine lifted and your heart open :-)

Posted 2010-04-01 5:15 PM (#122198 - in reply to #122157)

Hello Robyn,

Could you perhaps be more forthcoming with information please?

Without knowing whether you are a 19 year old stiff girl or a 70 year old hypermobile granny it is really tough to respond. Additionally, I don't know a blessed thing about you or this occurrence.

Did you have pain before the training?

What sort of training is this?

Are you fit?

What asanas comprise your "practice" and in what sequence?

Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-04-07 7:14 PM (#122289 - in reply to #122149)
Subject: RE: Pain with Yoga practice

Extreme Veteran

Hello Robyn,
Did you talk to your teacher about this? Please don’t ignore this and talk to the teachers immediately. I would recommend you to stop the poses or movement that makes your pain area worse. You should listen to your body always and please do not push yourself too hard this way. I wish you all the best....

StudioLiveTV
Posted 2011-03-10 9:00 PM (#203032 - in reply to #122149)

What about focusing on movements and poses that alleviate the pain? Are there any? I hope there are.o I would focus on those poses--and anything else that might help to overshadow the pain like meditation--until you're able to seek more professional and concrete help. I hope you find the answers soon..

intelligente21
Posted 2011-06-10 3:12 PM (#208586 - in reply to #122149)
Subject: RE: Pain with Yoga practice

You should consult your nearest chiropractor for this. They will help you their.

Edited by intelligente21 2011-06-10 3:22 PM
gdsgds
Posted 2012-01-03 10:29 PM (#209754 - in reply to #122149)

If you go to bed every night thinking that the last cigarette you smoked will be your last one, only to go right back the next morning, then it may be time to re evaluate the direction in which your life is headed. It is becoming increasingly hard to ignore all the warning signs around us. It was not long ago that smoking was allowed in hospitals, even in children's wings; but now smoking within a 100 yard radius is strictly banned.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)