YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram & Pregnancy
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

crasey2000
Posted 2010-03-22 8:40 PM (#122085)
Subject: Bikram & Pregnancy

Does anyone know of any research on practicing bikram whilst pregnant? Both in the first trimester and through out. Understandably Bikram advises not to practice in the first trimester, but thereafter OK.

Various accounts I have found of the web present both sides of the argument but it is seems to be just individuals personal views.

And yes, obviously if one choses to practice while pregnant it would be discussed with a doctor first.

Cheers
Crasey2000

Oh – and by the way I am not pregnant but just wondering.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Seeker101
Posted 2010-03-22 8:59 PM (#122086 - in reply to #122085)
Subject: Re: Bikram & Pregnancy

Veteran

The only proscription against Bikram in second or third trimester is the problem with heat and growing babies. There are some pretty strong data that show that a Mother's body being really hot in the first trimester can cause significant problems for the baby, so no baths, hot tubs, running in the extreme heat, Bikram, etc. By the second trimester, the baby is more developed, for example, you don't have to worry about brain damage in the child when the mother's body is too hot, etc. But the heat can still be a problem later in pregnancy. For example if you have higher blood pressure, or if you retain fluids, etc., the heat can exacerbate the problems. So besides, as you mentioned, checking with your doctor, be very in tune with your body and back off/modify/slow down, as needed.

Posted 2010-03-23 2:59 PM (#122100 - in reply to #122086)

Since yoga in general is widely considered good for both the pregnant mother and her child (with certain necessary adjustments), I would suggest finding a yoga class specifically for pregnant women in your area as they will be more likely better educated on what is needed and what is dangerous. If there aren't any, there are many DVDs available for pregnant women. (Maybe someone here that has recently been pregnant could recommend some that they found good.) This should all be done with approval of your health care provider.

If you are trying to become pregnant, I wish you success.

Edited by jimg 2010-03-23 3:06 PM
Meditation & Unity
Posted 2010-05-29 3:44 AM (#123221 - in reply to #122085)

As per me, Bikram Yoga should not be performed (or suggested) to Pregnant women because

> Yoga exercise which elevates the body’s core temperature is not good for women.
> Intense Yoga exercises which will direct the flow of blood to be diverted from the fetus to hardworking muscles should also be avoided.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)