YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feverish post-Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yogabrian
Posted 2010-03-17 2:28 AM (#121969 - in reply to #121903)
Subject: Re: Feverish post-Bikram

I never said it was bad. Only that you should prepare well first. To be honest I have to echo what has been said about not checking this board. But on both sides. I find that the non-Bikram people talk too negatively about Bikram and the pro-bikram people take too much offense when someone makes an observation that goes against the doctrine.

I am very straight and blunt. Much like Bikram. Call a spade a spade, if someone does any hot yoga and get sicks after practice in anyway consecutively then guess what, good chance the heat or the practice did it to them. Why not give people the tools to be safe and let them know that the heat maybe too much for the unless the prepare.

I find it interesting that it seems that most the posters here are:

1. Not teachers
2. Do not teach full time.
3. Do not own studios.

So clearly the advise on the board must be taken with a LARGE grain of salt. I take my leave of this board for good this time I think. I have classes to teach and yoga to practice. This board has just become too negative.

Good luck to you all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
amyf
Posted 2010-03-17 9:51 AM (#121970 - in reply to #121903)

Veteran

WOW and I thought I was being two year old in my last post. This forum is NOT For teachers or some elite group of people. It IS for people who have questions and thoughts and yes even concerns about their practice and for all of us to share together. in a harmonious enviroment that encourages rather hinders one another. If someone did not or does not agree with me or something I'm doing with my life be it yoga or any other facet of my being, that is their own business and I dont take offense. I know me best ...... what others perceive and say I take in and look at to grow but at the end of the day if the shoe doesnt fit I wont wear it LOL
After coming on this board I did look very seriously at my practice and how I was practicing. Looking at all the advice and warnings here it did make me think. ........... I took all in kept what fit and left a lot behind. People are not babies so lets try and be adults

Edited by amyf 2010-03-17 9:52 AM

Posted 2010-03-17 1:23 PM (#121972 - in reply to #121970)

amyf - 2010-03-17 6:51 AM

Looking at all the advice and warnings here it did make me think. ........... I took all in kept what fit and left a lot behind.

Excellent!!!!

The point of a forum like this is NOT to be right, win some kind of argument or prove that your form of yoga is superior for you and everyone else. The point is to exchange ideas. Some will be helpful and some will not; FOR YOU. The post that is nonsense for you may be extremely helpful for someone else. If this forum does nothing more than to stimulate thinking, it has served it's purpose.

If you practice Bikram yoga, you really do need to think about heat related issues, just like if you are a roofer who works in the summer or are a runner who runs in summertime Florida. If you cannot make the heat work for you, you will not continue very long, no matter what someone says on an internet forum for or against Bikram and/or the heat.

Edited by jimg 2010-03-17 1:38 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2010-03-17 5:18 PM (#121977 - in reply to #121972)

Expert Yogi

Thank you Jim!! That's exactly right about the forum...take what you like and leave the rest for someone who may need it,

Sometimes when I post I'm sure I come across as being harsh, but its only because I know all this about this forum, I am a Bikram practictioner, just not a full time one now, but believe me...I served my time and did it well. I love the sequence!! I want to get my point across and participate too because I like to help others by sharing my experience. There are so many levels where each of us are at when it comes to ANY yoga practice. Just because some of us are not regular Bikram practictioners, doesn't mean we hate or dislike Bikram, we've just moved on. I would NEVER discount my Birkram practice and it is sooo part of my journey!! I think it is wonderful that people are doing Bikram, it's a great sequence. The heat is too high for me in most of the Hot Yoga and Bikram studio's though. I know this about the heat, but I've learned how to balance my body between hot and cold. I NEVER said stop doing Bikram. Just learn how to tweak it to work for you!! Best wishes.

Brian you shouldn't leave the forum, you've been here too long. I really respect the things you have to say as a teacher and studio owner.

Take care
tourist
Posted 2010-03-17 7:26 PM (#121979 - in reply to #121977)

Expert Yogi

Eeesh - it just goes on and on and on. I don't hate Bikram or the practice. It is not for me, but others love it. I moderate here because it NEEDS moderating!

The reason we keep coming on with our advice is that each of these posters is new and most have clearly not read the trillion or so other posts. They ask a questions and anyone who wishes to answer, does so.

Regarding the OP - if this had only happened once, I would say it was a cold or whatever. Since it had happened 3 times to that point, something else is up. Fevers are indeed "natural" but that doesn't mean they are "good." They are a symptom, which means further investigation of some description is required.
rdaley
Posted 2010-03-18 2:31 PM (#121990 - in reply to #121903)

Yes, I guess it seems naive that I assumed this forum would be different.

Anyway, here's an update. Today, class was good, but since I've taken a few days off to rest I can't say I was at my best, practice-wise. In fact, I felt sick afterwards. BUT, after a great lunch post-practice and lots of water, I feel great.

Let's hope this continues.

Posted 2010-03-18 11:45 PM (#121999 - in reply to #121903)

Aw, Rdaley. There are lots of mellow people that hang out here. :-) I think maybe you unintentionally sparked some tension.

Hope your practice and health continue to improve! Personally, I don't think I'd continue practicing if I kept getting a fever or felt sick after class. But if things are improving, go for it!
amyf
Posted 2010-03-19 9:40 AM (#122005 - in reply to #121903)

Veteran

glad to hear you are doing better (and thanks for getting us back to the purpose of the post which WAS you and your question!) hope it continues and that it was just a blip on the track
rdaley
Posted 2010-03-19 5:26 PM (#122010 - in reply to #121903)

I think what's ultimately happened is that as my schedule has become more hectic (I work a split schedule), I've become more stressed. In my case, this stress and the inability to regularly (3x per week) make it to practice has affected my outlook.

I want progress, I want to be able to go the entire distance of the Bikram class; to be honest, I know that these things are powerful deterrents to actual progress and growth. For most of my life I exercised: gym, pool (weights, treadmills, etc). What I have to overcome is the commercial, Westernized view of exercise as ego: if you're not able to do it, push harder. It's this pushing harder that I think has caused my fatigue, my repeated fevers and illnesses, and a general bad attitude toward my practice in general. I have to learn that I'm imperfect, that I'm older and less limber than I once was, and that I have limitations.

Meditation & Unity
Posted 2010-05-29 3:37 AM (#123219 - in reply to #121903)

It is better to do some home work and analyze your life style before starting Bikram Yoga.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)