YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feverish post-Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

rdaley
Posted 2010-03-13 7:36 PM (#121903)
Subject: Feverish post-Bikram

Some background first: I've been practicing Bikram since August. Before that, I had never practiced another type of yoga, so I'm really a rookie. After most practices, I usually eat well and drink my share of fluids

But...The past three classes I've gone to I have been unable to eat shortly afterwards due to scheduling conflicts, and after each of these classes I've had to spend large amounts of time outside in the cold (which is not what I usually do). Each time, too, I've developed a fever (hovering around 101 F) for about 12 hrs. Usually after this time, the fever subsides and I feel fine.

I've taken it easy between these three visits, giving myself time to recover. But each time, the same symptoms return. Is there something I'm missing here? Any insight or accounts of your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Ryan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2010-03-14 11:50 AM (#121909 - in reply to #121903)
Subject: RE: Feverish post-Bikram

Expert Yogi

Okay Ryan I'll bite...

First of all doing Bikram in HIGH heat and then going out into the cold is NOT a good thing. Having that said....

Your lowering your body's immune system and its causing your body to have to work harder than it normally does. Your system has already been traumatized by the Bikram series itself, really, it has... the heat and all those factors of pushing and straining yourself into the postures, even if you don't push and strain, it's still an intense practice. A little trauma is good but sounds like you took it over the boundary point when you walked outside into the cold and stayed there. From a Chinese perspective, this would be a wind invasion and can get somewhat complicated. I would try warming up your body by eating warming foods, soups, lots of ginger is good for this.

NOT eating is very BAD. This also makes your body COLD. It also makes your body use other sources of energy that you need for other things. Your body is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The next thing I would do, until you fully recover, is REST. Practice keeping yourself warm. Going from hot to cold and cold to hot is taxing to the human body system. Not to mention all the other things that you probably do and don't even realize that you do that may be unhealthy and/or unbalancing. It's about BALANCE. Even when it comes to the simplest tasks. Good luck with this.

Edited by Cyndi 2010-03-14 11:56 AM
rdaley
Posted 2010-03-14 5:12 PM (#121910 - in reply to #121903)
Subject: Re: Feverish post-Bikram

Cyndi,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response.

I know that perhaps all of this seems obvious, but I assure you, to an initiate it really isn't. I'm usually healthy and rarely get fevers, so you can see why this would have me worried.

Anyway, I'll keep warm and sheltered. Thanks for your input!
Cyndi
Posted 2010-03-14 8:08 PM (#121913 - in reply to #121910)

Expert Yogi

Hey Ryan,

Sometimes we just get caught off guard - even the most healthiest person can get out of balance. Sometimes its the simplest things that we take for granted. Anyway...Spring and Summer is just around the corner..so much easier to deal with Bikram heat and cold issues,
yogabrian
Posted 2010-03-14 9:46 PM (#121914 - in reply to #121903)

Welcome to heat stroke.

Posted 2010-03-14 11:10 PM (#121915 - in reply to #121914)

Per emedicinehealth.com:

Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke Causes

Heat exhaustion is typically caused when people who are not well adjusted to heat exercise in a hot, humid environment.

•At high temperatures, the body cools itself largely through evaporation of sweat.

•When it is very humid, this mechanism does not work properly.

•The body loses a combination of fluids and salts (electrolytes).

•When this is accompanied by an inadequate replacement of fluids, disturbances in the circulation may result that are similar to a mild form of shock.
Heat stroke may often develop rapidly.

•Medical conditions or medications that impair the body's ability to sweat may predispose people to this problem.

•Heat stroke happens in the following two ways:

?The classic form occurs in people whose cooling mechanisms are impaired.

?The exertional form occurs in previously healthy people who are undergoing strenuous activity in a hot environment.

•Infants and the elderly are more likely to have this problem, as are those who are taking antihistamines and certain types of medication for high blood pressure or depression.

A person with suspected heat stroke should always go to the hospital (or call for an ambulance) at once.

For heat exhaustion, a person should go to the hospital if any of the following are present:

•Loss of consciousness, confusion, or delirium
•Chest or abdominal pain
•Inability to drink fluids
•Continuous vomiting
•Temperature more than 104°F
•Temperature that is rising despite attempts to cool the person
•Any person with other serious ongoing medical problems
Cyndi
Posted 2010-03-14 11:23 PM (#121916 - in reply to #121914)

Expert Yogi

Don't let them freak you out Ryan, the symptoms you described are not always about heat stroke. But, heat stroke is something you should always be aware of when doing this type of yoga. Besides, this is so typical of the Western approach to medicine, symptoms and how they view the human body system. They freak out and label everything in one category without looking at the individual person.

Edited by Cyndi 2010-03-14 11:27 PM
amyf
Posted 2010-03-14 11:35 PM (#121917 - in reply to #121903)

Veteran

thank you cyndi!!!!! this is NOT always about heat stroke OR electrolytes OR dehydration .... every time someone has an injury or problem we all jump to the HEAT. Very true the heat is not for everyone and that if you dont care for yourself and approach this type of yoga with common sense that you can get hurt. That is the case though in any sport as we discussed on many occasions, and I'm not trying to start a pro bikram/anti bikram debate by any means (lord knows we've done that enough LOL ) but lets be real people its just stretching in heat ...... not rocket science or the devils toy or the garden of eden. All that happened is he went from hot to cold and did not eat after depleting stores... the same thing could have happened had he left the swimming pool or race track or weight room
Cyndi
Posted 2010-03-15 10:44 AM (#121921 - in reply to #121917)

Expert Yogi

Your welcome Amy,

One thing about Bikram is that when your doing this practice, its really good to keep yourself warm as much as possible. Even after heating up for 90 mins, you should continue to keep your body at a moderate warm temperature, never cold. Like don't go take a cold shower after, take a lukewarm or tepid shower.

One thing about myself is that I am constantly eating foods and herbs that either keep my body warm for winter, or cool my body down for summer. This is how traditional medicines have taught for thousands of years. The new Western approach to health NEVER addresses this kind of stuff and its really stupid medicine. It's no wonder people are always sick and taking drugs...and dying from them. It is COMMON sense and once you embark upon a yoga path, you realize (some of us do) that you have to take responsibility for your health and the enlightenment unfolds.

The fever that Ryan had was his body was giving him information. I answered to help him so he could figure this out for himself from my perspective based on the information he provided. Even if it were a mild heat stroke, from a TCM point of view, the rules still apply about hot vs cold...and BALANCE. A healthy, balanced person can recover from the intense heat much more quickly than one who is not. There are ways that you can pace yourself when doing the Bikram series. I find its the most easiest one to pace yourself in because you know the postures, and you know that you can opt out..meaning you can sit out on the second set of any posture, or both...it's not that difficult. It's just a learning process and listening to your body.

Edited by Cyndi 2010-03-15 10:46 AM
ferret
Posted 2010-03-15 11:18 AM (#121922 - in reply to #121903)

Wow, what a load of you-know-what you can get when asking for medical information over the internet. There's no reason you should get fevers after doing yoga. Nothing you described should make you physically ill all by itself. Most likely there is an infection or some other cause of your fever. If it happens again or if you have other symptoms that are bothering you, then I would suggest you see a doctor. If it does not happen again and you fell generally well, then don't worry about it. You probably just had a cold or something.

Ferret

Posted 2010-03-15 1:08 PM (#121923 - in reply to #121922)

ferret - 2010-03-15 8:18 AM

There's no reason you should get fevers after doing yoga.

Ferret

True, but there are reasons that an individual may have an elevated temperature after doing strenuous exercise in a very hot (105 degree) humid environment. One of those reasons is heat exhaustion and another is dehydration/electrolyte depletion. All sorts of workers and athletes who exercise in hot temperatures need to know this. It is absurd for yoga teachers or students to diagnose a medical problem based on a post on the internet by a complete stranger. It is, however, a good idea to let that poster know about some of the possibilities. Sharing information about heat exhaustion and dehydration/electrolyte depletion should be welcomed by Bikram practitioners since being able to deal with the heat in a healthy way is a prerequisite for a healthy and successful Bikram practice.

A Bikram classroom is an extreme environment. Each person's body reacts to that environment differently. It is important to understand both the dangers and the benefits so that you can enjoy the benefits and avoid the dangers. For some people the benefits will outweigh the dangers and for others the dangers will outweigh the benefits.

ferret
Posted 2010-03-15 8:15 PM (#121931 - in reply to #121903)

rdaley: you've been practicing since August and never had this problem before, which probably means that you know what you are doing, are hydrated properly, and your body has acclimated just fine. You should consider the source of the advice you're receiving here from others here. Check out the other threads and see what kinds of comments the people above have about bikram yoga. A good one to check out is "I quit bikram" which is a very old thread recently bumped up. I think you'll find lots of negative comments about the heat being bad for you and about the style in general. I do not understand why people who practice other forms of yoga are lame enough to hang around on a bikram forum and bash it, but that is apparently a large part of what goes on here, and it's really too bad.

An experience I have had which may be helpful to you is that on a number of occasions I have felt ill immediately before, during, or after practice and recovered very quickly--often within a day or less--while those around me have had cold or flu symptoms for many days. I have interpreted this to mean that the yoga is working as advertised and boosting my body's immunity and overall health so that I can fight off infections more easily.

My understanding about heat exhaustion is that it is not something you can get, then be active outdoors for a long period of time, and then only hours later develop symptoms. If you get heat stroke in bikram class (enough to give you a fever), you are going to know it right away. Like I said before, if you have further symptoms or any other reason to be concerned, you should visit your doctor. Fevers as high as 101 are usually a sign of infection. They are definitely not in any way a normal part of bikram practice, whatever you do after. In cultures where sauna or banya is traditionally practiced, people often go straight from the sauna into the snow or even jump into the ice-cold winter ocean, and then maybe repeat the cycle all over again. It's considered healthful. :-) I do not think your time outdoors after yoga is bad for you, and unless you live north of the polar circle, it has really not been that cold outside lately.

Ferret
tourist
Posted 2010-03-15 8:49 PM (#121932 - in reply to #121931)

Expert Yogi

ferret - one of the reasons (aside from being a moderator and being expected to moderate ALL the forums, not just our own style) that people who are not Bikram practitioners come to this area is to provide information and points of view that people who strictly practice Bikram might not know.

A new Bikram student might think that since all these people go to this class and seem fine and seem to think 105 F is a great thing, that THEY are the problem. It is good for them to know that if Bikram is not a good fit, other forms of yoga are available. They need to know that many (and I go out not far on a limb here to say *most*) people think exercising in that temperature is not safe.

Now, I am not going to state one way or the other. I know a lot of people love the heat and love Bikram yoga. BUT if you don't like it or your body doesn't like it or if you have been advised that medically for you individually (as in migraineurs, people with MS and other conditions) it is not a good idea, you need to know you are not alone and that it is ok to say you have given Bikram a good try and it is not for you.

And we need to be able to do that on this forum without being labeled "bashers".
rdaley
Posted 2010-03-15 11:38 PM (#121933 - in reply to #121903)

Thanks all for the input. I (obviously) had no idea that my post would generate such vibrant discussion.

Anyhow, I'm going to go again tomorrow morning and if this practice proves problematic, then I'll go to a doctor (since I have been eating right, hydrating, keeping track of my behavior/actions during the day to evaluate certain common stress factors (I'm a teacher, so these factors are many and often) and so would be surprised if yet again my practice results in a fever).

I do understand the dubiousness of advice over the internet, but also understand the desire of most posters to be of help or at least share their experiences/insight/opinions. That said, of course not every bit of advice is gold. I wanted a broad helping of what many might surmise what it is I'm doing wrong, that is all. While I won't rule it out totally, I'm not terming this heat stroke because I've had heat stroke and the onset is almost immediately after the exertion, for me, and not hours (in the most recent case, 6) later, and because in these feverish cases the only symptom was a slight (101) fever. I experiences no disorientation, and aside from the fever, felt quite relaxed and at ease.

Thanks to all of you who've responded with helpful insights and suggestions, I'll stop by again post-practice tomorrow and post on my experiences.

Edited by rdaley 2010-03-15 11:43 PM
yogabrian
Posted 2010-03-15 11:42 PM (#121934 - in reply to #121903)

I wasn't bashing. Just stating observation after teaching Hot yoga for 11 years.
amyf
Posted 2010-03-16 9:44 AM (#121953 - in reply to #121903)

Veteran

I hope you have a good class when you go I'm sure this was a one time coincidence and am expecting a diff experience this time. I'm also wanting to add that that I was not not discounting nor just stamping this heat stroke. Only I was asking the poster to step back and look at the bigger picture. I do love this practice but also recognize the need for care and balance in it. I do respect too that it is not for everyone .... my sister tried it and did not do well. I would NEVER push someone to disrespect their body or beliefs
Cyndi
Posted 2010-03-16 10:40 AM (#121954 - in reply to #121934)

Expert Yogi

yogabrian - 2010-03-15 11:42 PM

I wasn't bashing. Just stating observation after teaching Hot yoga for 11 years.

For someone who has been teaching for 11 years, then you should know that its NOT always heat stroke. Having that said...

I think its equally important to NOT always jump the gun and think the WORST. I like to take an analytical approach to my body and symptoms. This is what all the ancient texts of yoga teach. It's an individual matter. If you're going to be doing this practice, seeing a doctor is not going to be your answers for everything. I see Eastern doctors because when I explain to them what I am doing, they immediately understand that I am working with my body and working with other things such as energy and chi, etc etc. Most Western doctors do not understand these concepts and have their one size fits all prescription...things such as heat stroke or paranoia...then you get a bunch of pills for your symptoms. What kind of healing is that when you suppress it?? The Western approach is not going to heal your body. This is why most of us embark upon a yoga asana practice in the first place - for better health.

I am going to say this now.... Yoga brings up A LOT of things....most of them are temporary and/or it is the process of moving and shaking things up. Anyone who has ever done Bikram KNOWS this. Anyone who does YOGA period, should know this. This is how we heal our bodies by doing the yoga practice. Dis-ease and illnesses reveal themselves in strange ways, BUT, at the same time, if we keep the practice going, it vanishes and disappears forever, because we moved it out of our bodies because we are working with the energy and qi. These are basic things that everyone should know and have an understanding about. Not always will it disappear, you find ways to work with it, and/or this is where having a good Eastern or Holistic doctor comes in handy, to help you. Normally we would have a guru for that, but in today's world, guru's are few and far between.

ya'll have a great day,
ferret
Posted 2010-03-16 2:00 PM (#121958 - in reply to #121903)

Tourist--Frankly, I find the negative vibe and the chorus of "helpful" people who are always ready to recommend a different style of yoga to be extremely offputting and it is the main reason I do not participate here very often. Every once in a while I wander back to see if anything interesting has come up, and find the same people and the same tired old criticisms. You have made your opinion quite clear over literally hundreds of posts over the history of the bikram forum, and I'm quite sure that you and your peanut gallery have driven quite a lot of people away from yoga.com, although I'm sure you have probably not driven anyone away from bikram yoga. If you don't like having to moderate a forum for a style you don't practice and believe to be dangerous, how about recruiting someone who likes bikram yoga and practices actively? Frankly, the world does not need you to be the anti-bikram police. It is tiresome and transparent that crap about dehydration, heat stroke, injury, and Bikram's freaking sex life comes up so often in totally unrelated threads. Your prejudice and your agenda make you a totally unfit moderator for this forum, and I am certain that you and the bikram haters that post here every day are driving a lot of people away from yoga.com, and not driving anyone away from bikram yoga.

Ferret

Posted 2010-03-16 2:22 PM (#121959 - in reply to #121958)

@rdaley -

Questions like this, regardless of the style of practice, should be broached with the teacher that has been chosen by the student to impart yoga to them...or a senior teacher at that venue if the aforementioned teacher is not in a position to respond with integrity (meaning they know what to share rather than pretending to know what to share).

In this way the student gets to further explore the nature of the yoga practice they have chosen, cultivate an appropriate student-teacher relationship, and utilize the tools of that style of yoga for their transformation, growth, change, and well-being - which I presume they are there for in the first place.
yogabrian
Posted 2010-03-16 2:57 PM (#121960 - in reply to #121903)

Whoa! Ok, I wasn't making a criticism, I was making an observation and why discount that the heat for this person may have been too much. Clearly they made a connection between symptoms and practice

What the poster in question is experiencing after practice sounds like heat exhaustion or heat stroke to me. Perhaps this is the first time. The poster now knows that if they do not hydrate well enough, it may happen again. Rest on plenty of fluids is is best for a few days.

The poster should adjust their practice and prep for practice. This stuff happens. People DO get dehydrated, if you are going to practice yoga in a hot room, it is completely possible. So I feel the sooner you accept that the easier it is to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Prep for Bikram yoga is really important. You have drink enough fluids and really plan your eating for the around it. Both the yoga and the environment could be considered extreme by some. I am not one of those.

I like the heat (though maybe not as hot).
freiamaya
Posted 2010-03-16 7:44 PM (#121963 - in reply to #121903)

Ya know, I haven't logged onto this site for almost a month for exactly the reasons detailed by Ferret.

When I got onto this site and found a Bikram's thread, I was excited. As a newbie to Yoga, I was stoked that I was doing something that for my community is considered "outside the box", and was looking forward to actually discussing the ins, outs and techniques of Bikram's Yoga.

What I found in reality was a thread moderated by those who either don't practice Bikram's, don't believe in Bikrams', or used to do Bikram's but quit with a bit of a chip on their shoulder. I have found an odd obsession with Bikram's sex life, claims about the "un-greenness" of Bikram's, issues with class prices and teaching styles, patronizing statements about how a person will grow out of this form of yoga, and much, much more outright hostility. I don't get it - this is so...well... un-yogi-like. And frankly, it isn't much fun.

Now, with respect to this particular thread:
1. Overexertion can lead to feelings of nausea no matter what the exercise form is.
2. Preparation for Bikram's is no different than preparing to, say, do a training run or a bicycle trip in the great outdoors at the height of summer. Nutrition, fluids, electrolytes, knowing your limits, and so on.
3. If you like Bikram's yoga but feel ill afterwards, it is most likely an issue of electrolyte replacement and/or dehydration and/or too MUCH water leading to electrolyte imbalance and/or an underlying condtion that is rearing its head after you are depleted from this form of exercise (and it can happen after running or walking or cycling, too).
If anyone experiences difficulty during any form of exercise, be it chest pain, nausea, upset stomach and so on, they need to seek the appropriate medical attention. And this goes for ANY form of exercise -- kind of like a universal rule.

More importantly, not every physical problem that one experiences after Bikram's is "proof" that there is something inherently bad in Bikram's yoga. Physical problems can result from the execution of any form of exercise. They will just arise at another time -- perhaps after a bicycle ride, or a hike in the woods, or after a Zumba class. What amazes me is the outright hostility and urging by practitioners of other forms of Yoga to give up Bikram's when medical issues are encountered. This to me makes no sense. No one suggests you give up weight lifting if you strain a quad. No one suggests you give up Zumba if you strain your back during a class. No one suggests you give up running if you go out for a 10k without adequate preparation. And if I overexert myself during a Kundalini class, there is NEVER the recommendation by, say, a Hatha instructor, to leave Kundalini because it is "wrong", "inherently dangerous", or "bad for you". Never.

And quite frankly, hostility towards Bikram's yoga should be modified out of this Bikram's thread as it is inappropriate. Participation by non-practitioners is not the issue; the hostility is. As Tourist says, all are welcome to participate in the forum. However, Tourist, as a moderator, you really must know how irritating it is for those of us who practice this form of Yoga to have to read/sift through the sarcasm and exhortations about how evil this form of practice is on a daily basis. It really is the moderators' responsibility and duty to ensure that this thread exists as a place where Bikram's practitioners can exchange views, pose questions, and discuss practice difficulties in an atmosphere of RESPECT.

'Nuf said.

Edited by freiamaya 2010-03-16 8:05 PM

Posted 2010-03-16 8:46 PM (#121965 - in reply to #121933)

rdaley - 2010-03-15 8:38 PM

Thanks all for the input. I (obviously) had no idea that my post would generate such vibrant discussion.

LMAO. This is classic. The internet yoga forum at its best!!

Sudden onset equal proximate cause. You've been practicing for 7 months and never had this problem until recently, when you had to plunge from hot room into cold outdoors without even getting anything to eat. Sounds like you caught a little cold or flu or something as a result. Get some rest and get a warmer hat. (I had this problem a couple times when I practiced in Boston during the winter, and the solution was to cool down a little more slowly, wear an extra layer when going outside, and eat a good dinner. Soup is nice, and so is hot tea with ginger!)

Hope you recover quickly and feel back to normal soon. I'm sure you will.
freiamaya
Posted 2010-03-16 9:12 PM (#121966 - in reply to #121903)

Sudden onset does NOT equal proximate cause with respect to medical issues.

I don't even know where to BEGIN with examples -- sudden fractures due to undiagnosed osteoporosis, acute gout as a result of undiagnosed uric acid accumulation, sudden cardiac events as a result of years of heart disease, stroke as a result of undiagnosed and untreated high blood pressure, slipped discs as a result of years of musculature/skeletal imbalances, acute peripheral neuropathy as a result of uncontrolled diabetes...

If you feel you are experiencing symptoms that are of concern, please seek appropriate medical attention.

Edited by freiamaya 2010-03-16 9:17 PM
yogabrian
Posted 2010-03-16 10:36 PM (#121967 - in reply to #121903)

Frieamaya,

Bikram yoga does take more detailed prep. Most athletes don't train in temps over body temp if they can help it. Unless it is for elite level athletics.
amyf
Posted 2010-03-16 11:52 PM (#121968 - in reply to #121903)

Veteran

I myself like to think there is balance in everything ...... including both medical and holistic advice. play and work stress and relax we need a bit of everything I do agree it does take a bit more planning and prep depending on the temp of the studio you train at. I do both body temp and HOT practice... both have their merrits I like them both for diff reasons. anyway just wanted to say as we all go off (yet again ) about what is 'good' and what is 'bad' that there IS no right or wrong answer except what feels right in YOUR own body and that may not be what feel right in MY body or the next persons but that does not make what DOES feel right for me wrong just because you dont happen to like it .....
INSERT TOUNGE STICKING OUT IN TWO YEAR OLD GESTURE LOL
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)