YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what is anulom vilom pranayam?
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

boy22
Posted 2010-03-12 10:28 PM (#121892)
Subject: what is anulom vilom pranayam?

i am 22 years old, and facing hereditary slight depression. I tried medication but i thinks that medication is helpful but numbs my brain and makes me fool because i cant understand anything. i dont want to numds my brain stage of life when i want to concentrate on studies.
i like to know about anulom vilom pranayam because i read about it as calming pranayam, is this pranayam will solve my dipression problem. what is the right technique of this pranayam and what type of asans should i practice before doing this anulom vilom pranayam and also please tell me about the diet i should follow during this. your all suggestions will really helpful for me, thanks,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bamboo
Posted 2010-03-13 8:12 AM (#121895 - in reply to #121892)
Subject: RE: what is anulom vilom pranayam?

Hi B,
I practice Anulom vilom/alternate nostril breathing myself, although one of my nostrils is often blocked, which is a big problem.

Most commonly known as alternate nostril breathing or nadi (energy channel) cleaning breathing. One round goes as follows :
1)While closing right nostril with right thumb, inhale slowly through left nostil, till lungs are full.
2)Then close left nostril using middle and fourth finger (of right hand), and exhale slowly through right nostril, till lungs are empty.
3)Then still with left nostril closed, inhale through right nostril, till lungs full.
4)Then close close right nostril(with right thumb), and exhale through left nostril, till empty.
That's one round, start by doing about ten rounds, then take a short break, and do another ten rounds. build it up till you're doing about five sets of ten rounds

There are also two other pranayam that have huge benefits. They are Bhastrika and Kapalbhati. These three pranayam are included in Baba Ramdev's set of six pranayam that have swept across India like wildfire, and the rest of the world.

Practice these three pranayam in the order that they appear in Ramdev swamiji's set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Jnra2O9Fc
Bhastrika
Kapalbhati
Anulom vilom

The third pranayam in the video (Bahya pranayam) is slightly dangerous to do without personal instruction from a yoga teacher, and the fifth and sixth pranayams are only good for meditation, no huge health benefits.

As for asanas. I practice this kundalini spinal warm-up set, it is very simple, but with huge benefits, and quite safe to do without a yoga teacher on hand to instruct you http://anmolmehta.com/blog/2008/02/28/best-yoga-exercise-video/

I do this set twice through, then lie in corpse pose,

A couple of important rules about pranayam

1) Wait at least 3 hours after eating before doing pranayam
2)Never do pranayam standing up
3)Wait at least 20 minutes after pranayam before you eat

As for diet, yogi's often say the diet should contain plenty of fruit and vegetables, simple food, avoiding iritating spices.
bamboo
Posted 2010-03-13 8:46 AM (#121897 - in reply to #121895)

I don't think the instructions Baba Ramdev gives on the video for Kapalbhati pranayam are that clear, so here is a link to a short instructional video on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2v-9LmU7IE

the benefits of kapalbhati are just as big as Anulom vilom, so i would advise you check it out.

Here is a list of the benefits of these three pranayam:
Bhastrika Benefits

Bhastrika is excellent for physical body as well as spirituality of an individual. It makes the mind peaceful and calm so as to help in Kundalini Awakening.

Bhastrika Pranayama Cures

This is the best breathing exercise for lungs. It makes the lungs healthy and improves strength. It directly affects all respiratory system of body and cures all lungs related problems.

Cold, flu, sinus, asthma are completely cured.

Thyroid, tonsils and all throat problems are completely cured.

It is very helpful to cure all heart diseases like angina, arteries blockages, etc .

Highly recommended for Brain diseases like Depression, Migraine, Parkinson’s Disease, Paralysis, etc.

Helps to remove impurities of blood. Vata (wind/spirit/air), pitta (bile) and kapha (phlegm) are balanced so as to make body healthy.

Good for concentration of mind that helps for kundalini jagran.

Kapalbhati Benefits
Kapalbhati primarily affects stomach, pancreas, liver, spleen, intestine, prostate and kidney to function more efficientely. These are very significant parts of human body. Any disease of these organs, which can not be controlled by any medicine is surly cured by regular practice of kapalbhati.

All the chakras from ‘Muradhar’ to ‘Shasrar’ are purified and filled with Cosmic Energy.

Kapalbhati benefits
Balances three dosas of the human body. These are vata (wind/spirit/air), pitta (bile) and kapha (phlegm). Disorder of these three is the root cause for unhealthy body.

It is excellent not only for physical body but for sub-conscious mind as well. According to Swami Ramdev ji Maharaj, it is “Sanjeevani” (one that infuses life) on earth.

While doing kapalbhati, if practitioner concentrates at the ‘Mooladhar Chakra’, the ‘Kundalini’ power starts awakening.

Kapalbhati improves concentration power in children and adults simultaneously. It makes the face Lustrous and attractive.

Kapalbhati Pranayama cures
Diseases which are hard to control by medicines like asthma, respiratory troubles, allergies, sinus, etc.

Diseases of heart, lungs and brain are permanently cured.

Kapalbhati completely removes blockages in arteries and controls cholesterol.

Obesity, diabetes, flatulence, constipation, acidity and diseases pertaining to kidneys and prostate glands etc. are completely cured.

Women diseases like uterus cysts, breast cysts, cancer cysts or any type of cysts in the body are permanently dissolved without any surgery.

Parkinson’s Disease, Liver Cirrhosis and Hepatitis-B is permanently cured with devoted practice.

It removes snoring problems and cures sinusitis completely.

Swami Ramdev ji maharaj claims to control ‘Cancer’ with kapalbhati and anulom-vilom. Even he has proved with some patients in his ashram in India. According to him, any disease can be cured by the combination of Pranayama practice.

Kapalbhati is the best solution for weight loss without any side effects. If it is practiced 15-20 minutes daily, along with yoga diet control chart, the weight can be decreased by 4-8 Kg. per month very easily.

Excess ‘Hair Loss’ is controlled by including kapalbhati in daily routine.

Depression is cured, as mind becomes stable, happy and peaceful which removes negative thoughts automatically.

Anulom Vilom Benefits
Most of the chronic diseases can be completely cured by practicing this pranayama regularly.
If practiced regularly for 15 –20 minuts per day, anulom vilom intensifies the inner strength of body and enhances the unknown powers of mind. If Sadhaka (practitioner) performs 250-300 cycles per day, the ‘Kundalini Shakti’ begins awakening which lies in ‘Muladhar Chakra’.

Anuloma Viloma Cures

Regular practice of this Pranayama purifies all innumerable Nadis (channels) of the body, which makes the body healthy, lustrous and strong.

All kinds of diseases occurring due to the disturbance of ‘Vata Dosha’ like rheumatism, gout, diseases pertaining to urinary and reproductive organs are cured. Besides regular practice of this pranayama also cures diseases like cold, cataract, sinus at chronic stage.

The three Doshas of Vata, Pitta, Kapha regularize themselves and assume proper proportions.

Blood Pressure and Diabetes can completely cured with regular practice.

Arteries Blockage of heart are dissolved and the arteries become clean, making blood circulation uninterrupted. If this Pranayama is practiced for three to four months regularly, 30% – 40% of blockages in the arteries are removed preventing the heart attack.

Pathogenic cholesterol, triglycerides, H.D.L. and L.D.L. also cured making the arterial channels clear for effective and uninterrupted flow of blood in the heart.
Anuloma viloma pranayama is highly recommended for angina. With regular and daily practice, angina is completely cured without any medicine or extra exercise. It has been proved on various heart patients in India by Swami Ramdev.
I
nnumerous unbelievable results on patients are proved in India by Swami Ramdev. He completely removed ‘arteries blockage’ in chronic heart patients with pranayama without any medicine. So many heart patients come to his ashram in Haridwar, India and get cured their heart problems with pranayam practice only. It is like a miracle and proves “Indian yoga & pranayama” credibility even in the age of advanced medical science.

Negative thinking is turns to positive approach to life. It increases enthusiasm and spirit, the Sadhaka becomes fearless and feels blissful.

It purifies all the nadies in the body, therefore it is also known as ‘Nadi Shuddhi’ or ‘Nadi Shodhana’ Pranayama. Some yogies call it as ‘Yogic Breathing’.

That's just the tip of the iceberg ; )

All the best.

Ciao

Edited by bamboo 2010-03-13 9:00 AM
bamboo
Posted 2010-03-13 9:24 AM (#121898 - in reply to #121897)

Apologies for the poor English in the above post, all the pranayam benefits were copied and pasted from an Indian yoga magazine.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)