YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hamstring injury--chronic-please advise
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

florida24
Posted 2010-03-07 4:44 PM (#121788)
Subject: hamstring injury--chronic-please advise

Hi
I am new here. I have a chronic mid thigh hamstring injury that occured 6 years ago in ashtanga. I was in either Paschimattanasa or Kurmasana (can't remember) and the instructor went too far in his assists and 'ping!" OUCH. I rested, vaguely, but mostly pushed through.

So, here I am 6 years later, having cycled through various bits of time with ashtanga, vinyasa practice, running, and other sports...and the injury and pain are chronic. Not terrible, but always present.

I have begun ashtanga again in earnest, and I find both Paschimattanasana and Kurmasana painful, but interestingly, Marichyasana A and even Upavishta Konasana are fine--so it's an injury that becomes much more painful when BOTH legs are extended AND when there is forward pressure. of course, Supta Padangusthasana on the left (where the injury is) is also quite painful, but not quite as bad

The injury has also affected my left lower back, just above my SI joint--not sure how the anatomy works here, but in certain poses, I feel strong discomfort in my left lower back. Poses like Parivritti Parsvakonasana are very difficult when I twist to the left.

So in the end, the poses that seem to engage the pain are those that either comprise of a) forward bending poses where both legs are engaged OR b) twists that engage the lower back into the hammy. Poses like Janu Sirsana are fairly unpainful, I think because one leg is back, thereby alleviating the pressure somewhat.

I would so appreciate advice. I have told my instructor that I have an injury, but because I have a 'good' practice, he still pushes me in those poses. I have indicated that he needs to back off, but so far it's not working (he is a new teacher to me, so I think I need to be more clear). I am going to try and keep my left leg slightly bent in these poses, but any therapy iI can incorporate would be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yogabear
Posted 2010-03-11 11:01 AM (#121857 - in reply to #121788)
Subject: Re: hamstring injury--chronic-please advise

Regular

You need to go see a sports medicine doctor if you haven't already.

I could guess what it is as could you, but the doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient.
vibes
Posted 2010-03-15 6:06 PM (#121928 - in reply to #121788)
Subject: Re: hamstring injury--chronic-please advise

Extreme Veteran

What a silly instructor! He obviously cant see why you may be inflexible in certain areas so he pushes you which just adds to aggravation. If he is a good instructor he would gently help you find why you are inflexible so there is no need to push and you go to the root of the cause.
Nick
Posted 2010-03-17 7:55 PM (#121980 - in reply to #121788)
Subject: RE: hamstring injury--chronic-please advise

Hello,
Sorry to hear about your troubles-bad news when our efforts are thwarted.

The thing to realize is that 'the hamstrings' do not exist-hamstring is a name given to three separate muscles situated on the back of the femur whose principle functions are to extend the hip, flex the knee, and internally and externally rotate the knee. So it might be that just one of these muscles is injured (although that will of course change the form and function of every other muscle in the body, not just the other two muscles).
You say you bend your knee in certain poses, but if I may offer advice, this is not enough-if extending the knee is hurting the hamstring, it may be that the extent to which you extend your knee is inappropiate-if you hyper-extend your knee, this is very different from holding the leg straight-and simply bending the knee does not teach a new action, but teaches the same action less forcefully.
In general with the seated forward bends, the back of the heel of the foot should be made to pull towards the sitting bones-with enough force to activate both the hamstrings and the quadriceps (the knee cap will be seen to elevate towards the hip when the leg is straight (vastus medialis kicking in)

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2010-03-18 11:13 AM (#121984 - in reply to #121980)

Expert Yogi

Nick - 2010-03-17 7:55 PM

both the hamstrings and the quadriceps (the knee cap will be seen to elevate towards the hip when the leg is straight (vastus medialis kicking in)

Nick

Is this suppose to be a trick answer Nick...?? BOTH the hamstrings and quads?? or is that British talk??

You do know I am taking Anatomy and Physiology these days??? heehehee
Nick
Posted 2010-03-18 1:00 PM (#121987 - in reply to #121984)

Cyndi - 2010-03-18 4:13 PM

Nick - 2010-03-17 7:55 PM

both the hamstrings and the quadriceps (the knee cap will be seen to elevate towards the hip when the leg is straight (vastus medialis kicking in)

Nick

Is this suppose to be a trick answer Nick...?? BOTH the hamstrings and quads?? or is that British talk??

You do know I am taking Anatomy and Physiology these days??? heehehee

If you are taking A&P, Cyndi, then I'd better be on my guard:). Yep, the hamstrings and quads can both activate simultaneously. It is called co-contraction. On most courses you learn about muscle function in the open kinetic chain-the bicep flexes the elbow, etc. This allows bodyworkers such as chiropractors or physios to isolate a muscle and examine its function-muscle testing etc.
But in real life, this is not the norm-when you come to standing from sitting, for example, the hamstrings and quads both activate-Lombard's paradox. More muscles being involved of course generates more power.
A muscle's function is, therefore completely altered in real life from that which we learn on A&P courses. But it's all usuful stuff-I think you have to be able to consider a muscle in isolation if you are to examine the organism.
I think you probably know already about reciprocal inhibition, where a contracting muscle will send a nerve impulse to the spinal cord, which will then send a nerve impulse dampening the innervation of the muscle on the opposite side of the joint,i.e. those muscles which would impede the action of the original muscle are'de-activated.' But unfortunately, the truth is more complex:). This concept causes many body workers to not realize that 'when the toe hits the ground, everything changes.' (a famous quote)

Nick

Edited by Nick 2010-03-18 1:01 PM

Posted 2010-03-18 1:32 PM (#121988 - in reply to #121987)

Nick - are you familiar with Active Isolated Stretching by Arron Mattes? It has helped my ROM greatly, pains and aches after yoga class seems to have totally disappeared. It heals injuries and prevent future injuries. Kindly comment?

Nick
Posted 2010-03-18 4:45 PM (#121992 - in reply to #121988)

Fraid I can't really comment on it-seen stuff like it but never investigated-there's so many stretching programs out there now. Sorry
Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2010-03-18 9:37 PM (#121993 - in reply to #121987)

Expert Yogi

Nick - 2010-03-18 1:00 PM

If you are taking A&P, Cyndi, then I'd better be on my guard:).

No way Nick, It's gonna be a long time before I can ever catch up to you! I might bug you and pick your brain a little bit though, LOL

Speaking of picking your brain...I want to get some DVD's of Cavaders so I can see the muscles and how they work for my own reference. Any recommendations?

Posted 2010-03-18 10:55 PM (#121997 - in reply to #121992)

Nick - 2010-03-19 4:45 AM Fraid I can't really comment on it-seen stuff like it but never investigated-there's so many stretching programs out there now. Sorry Nick
No problem, Thank you for responding!

Nick
Posted 2010-03-19 3:10 AM (#122001 - in reply to #121993)

Hi Cyndi,
The link below is for a really good one-very in-depth though, would work out expensive for the whole lot, but as you only want the muscles, might be a good one

http://www.ramex.com/title.asp?id=175

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)