YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is the dialogue online?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

bennerdan
Posted 2010-02-14 12:05 AM (#121495)
Subject: Is the dialogue online?

Ive looked all over for it and just want to see what it says for myself.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2010-02-14 12:11 AM (#121496 - in reply to #121495)
Subject: RE: Is the dialogue online?

Expert Yogi

No it is not online...it's patented and you have to pay thousands of dollars for teacher training to get a copy of it. If you go long enough, you'll have it memorized in no time. Then you can just sit a computer and type it out...
bennerdan
Posted 2010-02-14 1:17 AM (#121501 - in reply to #121495)
Subject: Re: Is the dialogue online?

Really? Wow. So it's nowhere online?

What if a teacher posts it online? Do they get sued?

What is the rationale for that?
psimmons
Posted 2010-02-16 11:38 AM (#121519 - in reply to #121495)
Subject: RE: Is the dialogue online?

Its in Bikram's blue book

http://www.amazon.com/Bikrams-Beginning-Class-Second-Edtion/dp/1585420204

Posted 2010-02-17 4:46 AM (#121529 - in reply to #121495)

Yeah, it's copyrighted and only supposed to be available to teachers and teacher trainees.

Legally, it's just like a book or a movie. If someone types up an entire book and posts it online, or rips an entire movie and puts it on youtube, the owner of the rights to the book or movie would be well within their legal rights to have the content taken down. (Like any other copyrighted material, though, you MAY be able to find it somewhere if you use the right google search terms.)

I think the rationale is that, if the dialogue were freely available, it would be WAY too easy for people to think, "Hey, now I can totally teach Bikram yoga without paying thousands for the training!" and start running their own knock-off Bikram classes. Which is really not a great thing to do.

However, the INFORMATION in it should ALWAYS be available to you through your teachers. It's their JOB to tell it to you! It's not supposed to be a secret. So your local teachers should be your first resource for dialogue related questions. And if they're not forthcoming, you can always try the books or the internet. There are folks on the boards who know the dialogue. The blue book has good info, though some of it is outdated now.

Cyndi! Come on, now. That IS kinda condescending. Most people are not auditory learners like you (and me), and many teachers don't teach pure dialogue. (Some aren't even close.) If 100 different people tried to do what you just described, we'd end up with 100 COMPLETELY different (and incomplete) dialogues!! I could write a whole list of stuff that becomes "dialogue" at local studios that's not in the dialogue at all....

Posted 2010-02-17 9:28 PM (#121537 - in reply to #121495)

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate P'simmon's screen name. Was that inspired by Mark Twain?

And although I sometimes think, "I'd love to have the dialogue handy!", it doesn't surprise me at all that it's not available. Bikram's made a very common move. It's copyrighted, B owns it, and were someone else to put it on the internet, that would be copyright infringement.

http://eattheyolk.blogspot.com
Iraputra
Posted 2010-02-18 1:34 PM (#121543 - in reply to #121495)

Veteran

The Bikram dialogue is from what I understand instructions on how to do the postures of Bikram Yoga.

"Exhale, head up." --
"Inhale, head down.
Look in the mirror." ---
"Backward bending, everybody together.
Your back is going to hurt like hell, don't be scared." ---
... and so on.

In 2002 he updated the dialogue, cleaned it up, "fixing some of the inconsistencies, and making it complete"... so the book "Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class" (2nd edition, 2000) does not contain those changes, I guess.

There is however a version of the Bikram Yoga Dialogue available online (as revealed by a simple google search): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM30caXMiDw
Cyndi
Posted 2010-02-18 2:59 PM (#121545 - in reply to #121529)

Expert Yogi

thedancingj - 2010-02-17 4:46 AM

Cyndi! Come on, now. That IS kinda condescending. Most people are not auditory learners like you (and me), and many teachers don't teach pure dialogue. (Some aren't even close.) If 100 different people tried to do what you just described, we'd end up with 100 COMPLETELY different (and incomplete) dialogues!! I could write a whole list of stuff that becomes "dialogue" at local studios that's not in the dialogue at all....

Okay Okay, I take it back J. You noticed I hadn't written anything online, much less a book now have I???
psimmons
Posted 2010-02-18 9:18 PM (#121551 - in reply to #121537)

Randomfemale. Not sure the psimmons reference...I will need to read Mark Twain it seems. Its really just a shortcut for my name.

But I will look for the reference.

I do like the cat hat.

Posted 2010-02-19 1:33 AM (#121560 - in reply to #121545)

Cyndi - 2010-02-18 11:59 AM

thedancingj - 2010-02-17 4:46 AM

Okay Okay, I take it back J. You noticed I hadn't written anything online, much less a book now have I???

Hehe... yes, I did notice that. All good! (You're lucky you took it back, cause otherwise I was gonna challenge you to give me a posture verbatim... and then grade you on it....)

Posted 2010-02-19 11:44 AM (#121570 - in reply to #121551)

Psimmons, that is too funny. I'm glad you found a shortcut for your name :-) Yeah, it's in Huckleberry Finn, and it's a shortcut for the fruit persimmon.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)