YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Slipping in Triangle
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Allie1166
Posted 2010-02-09 8:40 AM (#121374)
Subject: Slipping in Triangle

I tend to have slippery feet in my triangle pose which means I either don't fully execute the pose like I know I can OR I get frustrated and just come out of it early, not reaping the full benefits.

Any suggestions for stopping the slip?

Thanks for looking!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gauri
Posted 2010-02-09 11:15 AM (#121376 - in reply to #121374)
Subject: Re: Slipping in Triangle

Hi Allie,

You can use the wall to support the slippery legs. Align the side of one of the feet to the wall so your body will make the 90 degree angle to the wall. That way at least one feet won't slip.

Thanks,
Gauri

Posted 2010-02-09 6:57 PM (#121391 - in reply to #121374)

my favorite tip is to use your feet properly.

sit down and hold your foot so that you can see the bottom of it, foot relaxed. then, flex your toes to make a 90 angle if possible, using your muscle.

next, find the spot on the ball of the foot between the joint of the big toe and second toe. keeping your toes flexed, press on this point!

if you got the right point, your toes had to release and were forced "downward" or back to the neutral (and possibly beyond) position. i call this "grounding."

so, when you are doing triangle, you need to find these points on your feet and then *press* into that point really hard. make sure that the back leg is "locked" as strong as possible, pressing similarly into the heel and point in the foot under the 4th toe. in the front leg, just particularly focus on this big toe point.

you will find it. i find that i feel like i'm sinking into mud when i use it, so i'm really "rooted" in the postures.

Posted 2010-02-09 8:22 PM (#121393 - in reply to #121374)

Great advice from ZB - focus on the set-up! The better the set-up, the better the pose.

Then just focus on those Suzanne Somers thigh-master muscles. It's ALL about the inner thighs. It'll get your legs stronger really fast.

This is one of those things that EVERYONE has trouble with in the beginning, and EVERYONE thinks it is just them! Don't worry about it! Everyone else in the class is just as sweaty and slippery as you are. Once you figure out the technique, you'll be able to stay in the posture like everyone else. (Though even us experienced folks still have to work hard not to slip when the carpet has just been cleaned!)

(I'm gonna have to veto the wall idea. Haha. What'll that get you? Weak legs! You never get better at the posture if you don't keep trying the right way!)

Posted 2010-02-10 6:44 AM (#121402 - in reply to #121374)

Oh man, DJ's gonna have me mentally lusting about Suzanne Somers all day darn it...thought that was over a long time ago.
Cyndi
Posted 2010-02-10 8:14 AM (#121403 - in reply to #121393)

Expert Yogi

Thanks ZB, YES...the SET-UP is the most important aspect of this posture!! You can still do this while dripping with sweat too, LOL!!

Posted 2010-02-11 3:22 AM (#121437 - in reply to #121374)

yeah, seriously. i would demo it on a wet (from humidity and sweat) hardwood floor and stick like glue. it works!
lockdaknee
Posted 2010-02-17 9:50 AM (#121531 - in reply to #121374)

Regular

thanks zb - going to try that this morning!.
Iraputra
Posted 2010-02-17 10:00 AM (#121532 - in reply to #121374)

Veteran

I don't know about Bikram, but in Ashtanga it is common to use a cotton rug over the yoga mat once you get the sweat going... The mat gives a superior grip as long as it is not wet, and the rug is only slippery when you are dry. Of course, grounding the feet is very practical too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)