YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Throat Choke in Standing Head to Knee Pose
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Allie1166
Posted 2010-02-09 8:39 AM (#121373)
Subject: Throat Choke in Standing Head to Knee Pose

I'm having some trouble in this pose with holding my throat closed and my chin to my chest. It's hurting the back of my neck to do so!

I understand maybe i'm just trying too hard but is it possible i'm doing that part of the pose incorrectly?

I find that if I use my hand for a second to push my head down, the pain in my neck goes away.

Any suggestions for relieving the pressure on my neck?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gauri
Posted 2010-02-09 11:27 AM (#121377 - in reply to #121373)
Subject: Re: Throat Choke in Standing Head to Knee Pose

I think your neck musles are not very flexible. Are you taking a class or at home. Before trying to tocuh the chin to the chest please be comfortable to the various neck stretches. Also all the stretches should be followed by ten miutes warm up.

Here are few of the neck stretches

1. while inhaling bring the back of your head to your upper back (but it should do it with the limitation of your body)
2. while exahling come to the nutral position
3. inhale again and while exhaling lower down your head in front and bring the chin towards the chest within your body limit.
4. while inhaling come to the nutral head postion.
5. Inhale again and while exahling twist your head towards the left and whild inhaling bring it back to the centre
6. repeat the step 5 for the teh other side
7. while inhaling try to touch the ear to the left shoulder and while exhaling bring the head back
8. repeat the step 7 with the other side

Regards
Gauri
Cyndi
Posted 2010-02-09 1:45 PM (#121380 - in reply to #121373)
Subject: RE: Throat Choke in Standing Head to Knee Pose

Expert Yogi

If you are choking and your neck is hurting..you need to BACK OUT OF THE POSTURE. It's very simple. Take your body only as far as you can go and still breathe. If you can't breathe, then you are going to far and back out. Sounds like you figured out how to modify this posture for your body...that's great, go with that!
yogabrian
Posted 2010-02-09 2:28 PM (#121383 - in reply to #121373)

What kind of pain? Sharp and fiery or dull and achey?
Allie1166
Posted 2010-02-09 3:02 PM (#121384 - in reply to #121373)

Thanks for all the great advice! It's dull and achey- I would never continue if I felt any kind of sharp pain.

Posted 2010-02-09 6:52 PM (#121390 - in reply to #121373)

often, this is an alignment issue with how one is getting the chin to the chest.

essentially, you have the roll the spine up like you would a tape measure, and when you do it right, the chin is literally in the chest so deep you can't figure it. LOL

so, here's how i get started. i pull the chin back tight as if i'm holding a pencil under my chin. then, i start to roll it up, vertebra by vertebra until it is rolled up like a tape measure and my chin is in my chest.

you should see me get into this pose in class. it's absolutely a riot. first, i'm just standing there getting my chin into my chest, then i lift my leg and continue the tape-measure like curling and reach down to get my foot. as my chin is in my chest i try to get my head (top of my forehead/hair line) onto my knee--so it's a tight tight roll.

maybe a cinnamon roll is a better example.

anyway, i'm trying to make my spie inti a cinnamon roll. i think bikram should add that into the dialogue.

and then, when i feel balanced and my standing knee is locked tight (lifted/engaged), then i might kick out. usually, i don't kick out until the second set. it just works out that way for me. it's like i need the first one to tell my body what it is doing.

Posted 2010-02-09 8:27 PM (#121394 - in reply to #121373)

Are we talking about the standing head to knee (balancing on one leg), or the separate leg head to knee (both feet on the floor)? Second one, right?

It's really common to hold stress and tension in the back of your neck, especially if you spend a lot of time driving or at a computer. When my back is tense and I'm stressed out, my neck gets sore too! I just go to the point where I can hold it and breathe there. The muscles will release eventually. The posture should be "throat choked, eyes open, BREATHING NORMAL." (Yeah, it's a tricky one, but you'll wrap your brain around it eventually!)

Posted 2010-02-09 8:57 PM (#121395 - in reply to #121394)

eh?

i thought it was standing head to knee (balancing).

which one is separate leg head to knee pose? forward bend with feet hip distance apart? i get my names confused when crossing over between gosh and krishna. . ..

Posted 2010-02-09 10:15 PM (#121397 - in reply to #121373)

original poster did say "standing head to knee," but that's not a chin-to-chest posture unless you're in the most advanced stage, so I'm *guessing* that she meant "standing SEPARATE leg head to knee" which is this one: http://bikramyoga.com/Yoga/images/Alisa00.jpg

very similar names, very common confusion!
vibes
Posted 2010-02-10 4:46 AM (#121401 - in reply to #121397)

Extreme Veteran

Everyones given good advice.

Just to add that go into it in slow motion-even slower than a slow-motion replay of a slow motion replay, while paying attention to your breathing. Then you will have time to sense and feel at what point you disturb your breath or start to tense up in the neck,eyes,jaws,tongue, or anywhere else. Often being in a hurry is a cause of so many different bad habits in postures, (and life-the main cause also of many stress-related, heart and sexual problems) which make them so much more difficult.

Posted 2010-02-10 7:14 PM (#121422 - in reply to #121373)

right, i love that pose too.

cinnamon roll process still applies, though.

i find it harder to keep the hips right.

and i guess i do the advanced version of standing head to knee. i just roll it up. it feels good on my back and neck. rabbit too. i love those three because you get this deep rounding of the spine which counteracts all the back bending. my spine between my shoulders usually pops during these!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)