YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Memorizing the Dialog
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Posted 2010-02-06 2:49 AM (#121288 - in reply to #121261)
Subject: Re: Memorizing the Dialog

veggiepose - 2010-02-05 9:48 AM

One time, the director at my studio told a story about how he had just said the "L like Linda," part when someone blurted out, "Who is this Linda everyone keeps talking about? Is she in class today?"

I saw a great t-shirt at the LA headquarters from one of the old teacher trainings. On the back, it had a picture of a stick figure kicking out in the 2nd part of standing head to knee. The text over the picture said, "SEE YOU IN HELL, LINDA."

I thought this was so funny that I bought the shirt and brought it home to one of my old studio owners. He looked at it and said, "who's Linda?" and then got the joke like 5 minutes later. (But he was very jet-lagged, so his confusion is excused.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-02-06 4:22 AM (#121289 - in reply to #121168)

see, what bothers me about it is the idea that the second-language, poor-grammar english should be maintained by people who speak english as a first language.

how does that make the dialogue "perfect?" can't one simply say the thing in the correct english if it is their first language? and wouldn't it still give the same instruction?

i don't mean the same "flavor" or whatever, but i mean, instruction. J says that the dialogue gives perfect instruction and descriptions for every pose (debatable, but i'll accept the premise). Is this because it is in the pigeon english?
Cyndi
Posted 2010-02-06 9:05 AM (#121291 - in reply to #121288)

Expert Yogi

Listening to broken English is cute and fun for a while, but after a while..it totally gets on your nerves!!!

Posted 2010-02-06 4:21 PM (#121296 - in reply to #121168)

I'd say "perfect" in the sense of CORRECT. There's a ton of detail and sequencing in the instructions that gets lost when people start paraphrasing and moving away from the dialogue too much. A lot of times when I hear people start paraphrasing, I'm thinking "But but but... that doesn't mean the same thing anymore!"

I like the way the sentences are written because they are so direct. The instructions can go straight to your brain, almost like hypnosis, because the sequencing of the words usually follows the sequence of the motion. Example: "Slowly, gently, right leg lift up and stretch forward towards the mirror." You brain goes: 1. I'm going to do something slowly and gently. 2. I'm going to move my right leg. 3. I'm lifting it up. 4. I'm stretching it to the mirror. Look at the difference in sequence if you were to say, "Lift your right leg up slowly and gently and stretch it forward towards the mirror." The grammar is good now, but the sequence is totally jumbled.

There are also a lot of short, direct commands. Those are really succinct and don't waste any time. During a short intense posture, like say full locust posture, that is what you want. It seriously gets on MY nerves when I'm in the middle of lifting my entire body weight off the floor with my back and I have to listen to something going, "Lift your chest up off the floor..... bring your arms up.... bring your arms back...." instead of just "Chest up, body up, chest up, come up, more up, go up!"

It's also good for new students, because it makes them start to LISTEN! Since the words don't come in the order that you expect, your brain can't lazily go along and anticipate what the teacher is going to say next. It has to get engaged. And when you hear something weird - "pulling is the object of stretching!" - or funny - "Japanese ham sandwich!" - it really startles you back into the moment and makes you pay attention.

To me, it's like listening to a song. Most song lyrics - or poems! - wouldn't necessarily pass a "perfect grammar" test, but they have a rhythm and a flow to them and they feel right. It sounds right to me, always. I don't hear "broken English" anymore. I hear nice direct physical instructions. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when teachers start giving sloppy, incomplete, or incorrect instructions...

Posted 2010-02-06 6:32 PM (#121297 - in reply to #121296)

Bikram has lived for more years in the US than elsewhere and should have learned a lot better English by now. (I lived for eight years in Europe and do understand the difficulties of learning a foreign language.) Is he lazy, stupid or does he just see that he can sell his product better with an accent and pigeon English? (He doesn't seem lazy or stupid to me.) Same for Arnold Schwarzenegger. (I am NOT xenophobic and plan on retiring to Mexico and am already learning Spanish so that I can communicate clearly. It is a matter of respect to learn the language of the country where you live, especially if you are making a huge amount of money there.)

Repeating the accent or the poor grammar is not helpful. Repeating the meaning is. (I took Taekwondo for about six years and the Master was from Korea. Although he was amazing at Taekwondo and an excellent teacher, his English was awful, although often quite amusing. Unfortunately, many of the senior American students started to copy his English instead of his movements and teaching techniques.) Yes, "imitation is the highest form of flattery," but a yoga teacher (Bikram yoga included) is supposed to be teaching yoga, not flattering their teacher.

I do not mean to bash Bikram here and respect his contributions to yoga, but if you honestly want to teach the yoga style that he has created, you need to learn it yourself, internalize it and then communicate it clearly to your students in your own words, with hopefully better grammar.

It is probably best for a new teacher to stick to the "dialog" until they find their own voice, but if they never get past simply repeating, they are not teaching.

You can give complete and correct instructions clearly and concisely in your own voice if you really understand those instructions. If you are more interested in hearing yourself talk than actually communicating, you should probably stick to the verbatim "dialog."

Cyndi
Posted 2010-02-06 7:43 PM (#121298 - in reply to #121297)

Expert Yogi

Great points Jim!!! When a teacher breaks out of the mainstream dialogue and can pass on genuine instructions, including their own experiences, other important aspects they have learned whether it be from the Bikram sequence, other types of yoga, whatever...then...BINGO..you just graduated to Teacher..otherwise, as a Bikram practitioner myself, before you reach this stage of teacher hood, you are simply someone who can regurgitate words as far as I'm concerned! Hell, I can do the Bikram dialogue by memory just coz' I know it and I can even ad my own stuff. I could actually teach this yoga if I really wanted to minus having to pay the 10 grand, risk of my life going to TT, and wasting the time...I'd call it Cyndi's Hot Yoga though, LOL!!

Posted 2010-02-07 3:46 AM (#121304 - in reply to #121298)

yeah, that was essentially my point.

i do agree that there is an element of "hypnosis" to the process of teaching. one of my teachers taught me to "speak to the spine" which was actually saying that we were going to speak to the nervous system itself. it is done predominately with intonation and sounds, but of course word choice is also important.

even so, i think it is possible to give precise, accurate, correct, etc instructions, in a helpful or appropriate order without it having to be grammatically incorrect. even the language of hypnosis--which is grammatically unusual--is usually grammatically correct.

it's just an interesting curiousity.
tourist
Posted 2010-02-07 11:30 AM (#121310 - in reply to #121304)

Expert Yogi

I still get stuck on the whole "dialogue" thing. Unless the class is talking back in reply to the teacher, it is a monologue.
Cyndi
Posted 2010-02-07 3:02 PM (#121317 - in reply to #121310)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2010-02-07 11:30 AM

I still get stuck on the whole "dialogue" thing. Unless the class is talking back in reply to the teacher, it is a monologue.

YES, you are so right Tourist..why didn't I think of that, OMG, Monologues are worse than Dialogues,

Posted 2010-02-07 11:24 PM (#121325 - in reply to #121297)

Look, JimG, I respect what you're saying in general, but I think you want to be careful about adopting the whole "speak better" attitude. It does seem a little xenophobic to me. The tone conveyed here and in a couple of the other posts leaves aside the complexity of language, identity, and probably a lot more I'm not alert enough right now to articulate.

You seem to speak English quite well. It's awesome that you're learning Spanish and that you want to perfect it before you move there. But, as I'm sure you already know, some languages are easier to learn than others, depending on what you already speak and what you're trying to learn. I learned Spanish as an adult and speak with virtually no accent and, when I am working hard, can get the grammar right. A Spanish speaker as an adult is not likely to be able to do the same. This stems from the complexity of the language, its intonations and pronounciations, etc. The same goes for native Indian (or Austrian, for that matter) folks learning English. And an adult English speaker learning Arabic or Japanese? Please. Not after age 12 or 13 can you do much more than communicate your message clearly and hope to God no one will make fun of your sh*tty accent.

The "intentional selling" of his yoga with an accent and pigeon English is a more interesting comment. There may be a little bit of that savvy businessman attitude where Bikram's concerned, but we don't know for sure, do we? Another interpretation is that folks who journey here from other places often have a desire to maintain a certain cultural identity, to retain a part of where they came from in order to avoid being subsumed by the new culture. And, uh, yoga kinda sorta comes from India, so that one seems like a no-brainer from Bikram. We just don't know.

Look, possibly I am reading too much into this, but I am an English teacher. It's mah thang ;-) I teach in a school with primarily non-native speakers. What's the goal of speaking or writing in any given language? To communicate your message clearly. Does Bikram do that with the dialogue or in his interviews? Of course. He's an effective communicator. The rest is window-dressing, as far as I'm concerned.

The dialogue/monologue part I'll leave to more knowledgable folks to comment on :-)

I don't intend to come across as uber-bitchy or snarky, but language is something I think a lot about. Yes, it's beautiful when someone's mastered it and can compose eloquent sonnets and articulate their meaning uniquely and with perfect prose. Fortunately, we don't all have to live up to that high a standard ;-)

Edited by Randomfemale 2010-02-07 11:28 PM

Posted 2010-02-08 12:39 AM (#121328 - in reply to #121168)

Here's my "I'm so liberal i can argue both sides" post.

it's a dialogue because. . .

I find that in the classroom, even if someone isn't speaking, they are communicating quite a bit of information. I am "listening" to them and then teach according to what i "hear" from them. They communicate whether it is too much or too little, whether they are enjoying or struggling, etc etc. And i can gear my teaching to that--different kinds of encouraging, telling them to back off, telling them to not back off, etc.

so, if the teacher is responding to the students in some way, then it is a dialogue.

here's an example from outside of yoga. I took acting for non-majors when i was in Uni. loved and hated the class. loved it because i learned a *ton* about myself. hated it because it was a *really hard class*. that's also why i loved it. so confusing.

anyway, our first exercise was the one-liner. we were paired up, each given a line. "i need the keys/you can't have the keys." on first blush, it looks like the one with the keys (you can't have them line) has the upper hand in the process, and with only one line, you have to convince that person to give you the keys.

so, we were to prepare 4 different ways of doing it. my partner was rather lazy and so we only came up with three. we agreed to "improv" the fourth one. ok, cool. our day comes and we're set to do our "performance."

i'm outside waiting to go in the room. she's in the room, with the keys, at the desk and reading a book. I open the door when our teacher, Mike, knocks. I come in and i see the keys on the desk, her reading. I walk over, pick up the keys, and walk out, and just as i leave, i say "i need the keys!" boring, matter of fact tone, a "just letting you know i just took them while you were looking the other way" tone.

She then tried to get to me before i got out of the room, and of course she couldn't. I got an A--that was our improv one. Then we did three others, one excited with her angry; one me upset/crying and her apologetic; and one with me angry and her crying. boring.

anyway, we did well. but it goes to show how the same line over and over can be expressed in different ways depending upon the context.

so, take a bikram (or any scripted class) and it can be a dialogue *if* the teacher is saying those words with different intonations in response to what s/he is 'seeing/hearing' in the class. the teacher says "L like Linda" and then the class has folks saying "ahh, Linda!" and "see you in hell, Linda!" and "i love Linda!" and so on. then the teacher responds with the next line in such a way as to respond to these people (some, all, most, whatever).

and then it is a dialogue, even though it is a script.

it's a monologue because. . .

as previously mentioned, it is a monologue because other's aren't speaking. while people may be communicating via their bodies, etc, the teacher may be choosing to not see that as a dialogue, but more of a Tourette's-like expression of emotion. It is simply an explosion rather than an expression.

Since it is scripted, and the communication is seen more as off-gassing than conversing, then it is a monologue.

And, if the teacher has no intention of changing the intonation as a response to the students, or doesn't see the students as communicating really, then yeah, it's a monologue.

i had a teacher who was like this. she was a great lady and very sweet and loving and educated and what not, but every class was *exactly* the same. it was a monologue. good class, but very boring after a while. it was good to go to different teachers (also teaching from the script, though not as strictly and not the bikram script) because those who were also monologuing (as opposed to those dialoguing with a script) at least did it in their own voice and emphasized different things in the monologue.

though after a while, i did question why they paid all of those teachers rather than just teaching a parrot. too messy, i guess. LOL

Posted 2010-02-08 12:48 AM (#121329 - in reply to #121168)

in re: language.

i agree that people can choose to keep their accents or even their specialized english "idioms" because of a desire to stay connected to the "old world." as an example, while here in NZ i plan on retaining my american accent. so annoying, i'm sure.

i have no problem with bikram teaching or speaking in whichever way he chooses. i actually *like* what people who do not have english as a first language come up with. i love, for example, http://www.engrish.com. not because i'm making fun of people, but because of how they put words together. it's usually a complete mind-bomb and an absolutely beautiful way of thinking about things.

i mean, i remember reading a poem written to Johnny Depp by a japanese teenager wherein she "hugs his spiritual." i don't know what that means, but i LOVE it. it says a lot, to me, about what she was trying to say. it's funny and makes me laugh every time i think of it--but not at her, or her sentiment or sincerity, but just at how difficult the language is and yet, when we come to it with "new ears" as a newcomer would, it certainly sends a new message to those of us who speak it as a first language.

ah, so much love for that expression!

so, for example, if i take bikram's class, i have every expectation that he wouldn't speak "perfect english." ryan's sensei's sensei doesn't speak perfect english . . .and his descriptions are fantastic. sometimes very funny and much beloved because of that, but still fantastic.

but what i don't agree with is taking that on as a standard. it's one thing to love "hugs his spiritual" and for me to then take it to my own with ryan wherein i might write in an email "hugging your spiritual, zoebird" because of how much i love it, but a completely different thing for the language to be "enforced" (for lack of a better term whilst i am tired--notice how i used the english there, how very unamerican of me. . .kiwi-ness is rubbing off!).

i mean, i love some of the creative language that bikram chose . but i don't think that in order to teach bikram yoga well, i have to repeat that. i can speak the "proper" english, yk? i can understand the dialogue in it's completeness and complexity, and teach it appropriately and properly without using his idioms.

i might choose to as a method of saying "as my teacher says. . ." or some such--which ryan's sensei does regarding his sensei--but not as an exact, verbatim.

just my hugging your spiritual.

Edited by zoebird 2010-02-08 12:53 AM

Posted 2010-02-08 3:03 PM (#121344 - in reply to #121328)

ZB-
I really enjoyed your post on dialog vs monolog. I think that you hit the nail on the head. Dialog is communicating and responding. Monolog is just repeating a bunch of words.

random-
I lived and worked for eight years in Europe (mainly Austria, Switzerland and Germany) and in that time learned to speak German better than Arnold has learned English in the 40 + years that he has lived here. (Austrians speak German, there is no Austrian language. Different parts of Austria have different dialects just as different parts of Germany and northern Switzerland have different dialects, but it is all German. They speak French, Italian and Romansch, a Latin dialect, in other parts of Switzerland.)

An accent is often nice (if not too strong), but butchering a language is not. I currently work with people from Finland, Germany, Ivory Coast and India who have accents, but speak excellent English. In Europe, I worked with people from all over the world (Japan, China, Korea, Turkey, Egypt, South Africa, Soviet Union, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, France, Israel, Italy, Spain, England, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the US and others) and they all spoke excellent German, although sometimes with an accent. I don't think that there is any excuse for not learning to speak the language of the country where you live.

Bikram is an excellent communicator DESPITE his awful English, not BECAUSE of it. I think that Bikram teachers need to copy his excellent communication skills instead of his poor English skills.

Edited by jimg 2010-02-08 3:10 PM

Posted 2010-02-08 4:56 PM (#121346 - in reply to #121168)

Zoe - "Hugging Johnny Depp's spiritual" just kinda made my day.
ferret
Posted 2010-02-08 5:33 PM (#121348 - in reply to #121168)

Apparently a lot of people on this board are not aware that English is an official language in India and is taught in all schools and IS a first language for most Indians, who generally speak one or two other languages--one of many regional dialects, and also Hindi. This is due to a teeny tiny historical interlude during which India was colonized by Britain. I'm sure people were absent that day in History class. When you say that people from India are speaking broken English because they don't know proper English, you come off sounding pretty ignorant, yourself. India has its own English dialect, but most Indians are themselves native speakers of English in their own right. Not only has Bikram spent more of his life in the US than in India, but he was raised and schooled in an English-speaking environment. If he wanted to write a grammatically perfect set of instructions, he could have done so. Oh, wait. He did. Bikram has written two books about yoga, and if you would like them read aloud to you in a yoga class, I am sure that would take more than 90 minutes. The grammar is quite good.

The truth is it is not so easy to write a set of instructions to guide beginners through complex yoga postures in real time without bringing the class to a halt. As a professional writer myself, I am continually impressed by how efficient the bikram dialogue is. In fact, I was there with a friend who was new to bikram the other day, and a very competent teacher was on the podium that day, but because she kept leaving out crucial words of the dialogue, my friend had a bit more trouble in his first class than I did. For example, she kept omitting the instruction to put your chin out on the towel during the cobra poses. That is a safety instruction issue and it is only two words, but is is very important, and I had to quietly signal him so that he didn't try to do the posture with his head turned to the side. The teacher could stop class to explain how and why you do this, but it really is much better to just say "chin out" and get on with it.

Ferret

Posted 2010-02-08 6:46 PM (#121350 - in reply to #121168)

Wow, I love the responses here. Thanks for clearing up the language thing, Ferret. And, duh, of course Austrians speak German... (confusing language with culture--humbling oops there!).

Zoebird, I totally dig what you're saying and have had many experiences like the "hug the spiritual" thing. Great example!

I also love engrish.com. :-D That is all.

Posted 2010-02-08 9:56 PM (#121357 - in reply to #121168)

Speaking as someone who's been reading the dialogue cover to cover... there's really NOT all that much INCORRECT grammar. Bikram's English is quirky, but not terrible. There are a few repeated "mistakes" - but it's like 50 pages long. So I'm not very interested in the "good grammar" debate.

I AM totally interested in the discussion of dialogue vs. monologue, because I think that ZB's points are KEY to a good dialogue-based class.

If someone has perfect verbatim dialogue, but they're phoning it in and not looking at the students, then they're a crappy teacher. Period. Might as well listen to the CD.

If someone has perfect dialogue AND is tuned into the students and knows how to read the room, then things get interesting. One thing I kept noticing the last time I took Diane's class was how she would target specific directions at different people in the room, without hardly changing the words, WITHOUT breaking the sequence, giving personal corrections as needed.

For example, here are a few lines of dialogue from the second part of awkward pose: "Knees up, chest up, upper body leaning back, spine straight. Come up higher on the toes, knees up toward the ceiling. Hips should not go down below the chair - you are sitting ON the chair."

Here's a version that could be given during the second set, after you've seen what the different students are doing: "Knees up, chest up. Brian, lean your upper body back two more inches, spine straight. Everybody come up higher on the toes, knees up towards the ceiling. Joe, hips should not go down below the chair, come up more, yes, stop there! You are sitting ON the chair."

It could also be: "Upper body leaning back, not that much Joe, YOU can come forward a little more, get your spine straight." Sometimes you just need personal corrections, with a name attached!! The dialogue is the backbone of the class, and then it can be tweaked when appropriate. Bikram has said this all along. He says that he gives the prescription for the most general case, and then some patients need a little bit of special treatment.

THAT is what I'm going on about when I talk about "great dialogue classes." Teaching dialogue doesn't mean being a robot. It means using the dialogue as the foundation to give targeted instructions and create a really dynamic and interesting class. I think it's a common misconception that you need to THROW AWAY the dialogue in order to teach a dynamic class. No way. You just need to make it your toolbox and learn how to use it. The analogy to ZB's acting class is PERFECT. She learned that you can create a whole range of interesting (or boring) situations using just two lines of text, if you are creative and smart about it. The dialogue is the same.

ONE more thing. (Haha... I have a lot to say.) Ferret, I REALLY like your point that it is hard to write a complete set of instructions off the top of your head. I think that is a HUGE part of a reason why the dialogue was written in the first place - it's intended to help the teachers make sure they get all the important stuff in, every time. I always used to be amazed at how closely Bikram himself follow the dialogue when he teaches. Like, everything he says IS dialogue, sometimes verbatim. I thought, "That's funny, wasn't the dialogue written just to help other people teach like Bikram? Why would he need to use it?" Then I had a different thought: I think that to some extent, he wrote it for HIMSELF so that he'd be sure to remember all the instructions and details (especially as he teaches in a non-native language). Then he got it typed up and started teaching it to other people. That's just my theory, but to me it explains SO much!

Edited by thedancingj 2010-02-08 10:04 PM

Posted 2010-02-09 3:01 AM (#121365 - in reply to #121168)

personally, i do not find it difficult to be concise and precise. and with this, most of my classes have many more postures than bikram and i still manage to have students who have excellent alignment from the get-go. it's just what i do well.

i'm not saying i'm better than Bikram, i'm just saying it's not a terribly difficult task for me. and i don't have any scripts at all. though, i suppose i do repeat myself quite frequently. in fact, i know that i do.

that being said, learning scripts really helped me understand sequencing theory on a whole different level. prior to learning scripts, my process was to learn different asanas in depth. i had two primary teachers--kripalu trained and iyengar trained--and so i learned a great deal of detail about every pose from them. i could really only teach the postures that i "knew" but i also learned "posture theory"--how one posture is very much like the next, but with slightly different forces on the body (how bow, camel, and bridge are related, etc).

so, when i first started teaching, it was focused on deep lesson planning--choosing the postures, getting the instructions down, working with my teacher to get the sequencing and everything right, then teaching the class. Typically, i would develop a "curriculum" of classes and then work them all out over the course of 10 or 12 weeks before the session started, and then work week to week. to get it all down.

when i started studying baptiste style power yoga, astanga, and the like, i began to learn scripts. i really enjoyed the classes a lot (until things went sour socially), even the fact that they were the same every time. i started with one class per week, then two (because i could work study and you got two for working one), and at home i would do my normal kripalu/iyengar intuitive work.

after a month or two, i began to understand the theory of the two sequences. then i decided that i would experiment. i would do one month of classes ( just baptiste style, then another month in astanga and compare them. they did work different things in different ways. both were valid, helpful, therapeutic, interesting. they weren't strictly scripted (like bikram's), but they were a strict sequence and certain things "had" to be said every class (or so i figured since they were said every class).

once i was able to compare the two, i began to really understand how this sequence was leading to those results and that sequence was leading to these results. i began to pay closer attention to all sequences--any class i took, i would record at the end of class that sequence and do it twice a week for a month. and, i also watched my intuitive sequences from my home practice to see what my body was telling me, what experience it was creating.

this is when my teaching made a big turn. it went from being this herculean effort of planning and writing and laboring to experimenting with the sequences that were around me. I taught baptiste--strictly to the sequencing and repeating many "key" phrases (if i felt/thought they were 'correct' descriptions--i refuse to give a description that i don't htink is correct, and i will debate them with the "authors" of those descriptions). i taught astanga strictly. i taught dharma mittra's maha sadhana classes strictly.

i would see what happened to the student's bodies. how this body or that body responded. i would then start to intuit where to go--ah, i see. . .this body is leading towards that pose, needin that opening, and that body is going that way instead. for example, i could see how one body wanted to move forward with the baptiste sequence, whereas another body was more interested or crying out for the astanga sequence.

so, there was a point where it was like--now what? two bodies need two different things, so which way do i go? i'm the teacher, i can choose--astanga or baptiste?

and this is when i started to experiment with free-form vinyasa. in my home practice, i discovered that there arose certain "bridging postures." that is, i might start going "right, today astanga" and i would start, but then the sequence would "break down" and mybody would want to go a certain way. so, i would go that way, and then end up in a little bit of baptiste, and then my body would go the other way for a bit and then come back to astanga. it would just go.

so, i began to observe that these were often "bridging poses" that it would prep me to go from here to there and then back again and so on. i could simply keep crossing the street between the two. and these "bridging postures" made it possible.

i started to record these sequences. i started to use them if i saw the bodies starting to diverge from each other in need. i would use a "bridging sequence" and then bring it back around. and then eventually, it was all just observe, move the class in the directino that the bodies were leading without worrying at all about whether or not it was this or that sequence.

and so for me, the real understanding of how energy moves, how the postures come together, was from learning scripted yoga classes. i could see, very clearly, the theory behind what others were doing. i would look at the claims, try the sequences, see what happened.

i think that all of the groundwork came together to develop this "style" that i teach. And, i teach this method in my teacher trainings. First we study anatomy, alignment, and assisting. we go deep into the primary postures of my "general sequence" (i created a script for teacher training purposes). Then, we study different scripts from bikram, baptiste, astanga, dharma mittra, shiva rae, the one i created, and a couple out of iyengar's appendices. after going through this, they begin their projects, which can be pretty intensive. the projects include writing a personal mission statement, creating a sequence, and writing an essay/ book describing their sequence, alignment, and contraindications for each postures and thereby alternatives or modifications for those postures for those contraindications. this is the homework while we then spend the last 1/3 of our time togeher going over history, philosophy, context, yoga in modernity, etc. and then they present their projects in full. all the teachers in training get a copy of their paper a week in advance to study and practice it at home. we then spend a couple of weeks talking about teaching methodologies--learning observation and deep listening skills, talking about professionalism and boundaries, etc. and finally, each student gives their presentation. they teach the class to a group of volunteer students. the other teacher's in training as well as two other "certified" teachers sit with me and make notes on the class. after the class, the students are asked to go to the waiting area and fill out a qestionaire. the teachers and teachers in training question the presenting teacher in training. and then all of that information is collated and this determines whether or not a student will be certified.

btw, most students are, because they want to do well. students do have the option of doing their presentation at a later date, but must do it within a decent time frame. I've only had to fail (or rather, not certify) one teacher so far.

but anyway, the bottom line is that i want them to come to the point where they do know a lot and can share a lot in a concise and precise way without relying on a script because the script doesn't forsee every problem that might crop up. as we know, Bikram isn't for everyone. that is great. and no one teacher is for everyone. but if someone comes to my class, i do know that they will be safe and taken care of, and the whole class will get an amazing experience too. no one gets left behind.

now i guess i've rambled a lot. LOL

Posted 2010-02-10 10:51 AM (#121406 - in reply to #121357)

dj,
It is obvious that you will be a really excellent teacher.
jimg
veggiepose
Posted 2010-02-10 5:47 PM (#121419 - in reply to #121168)

As I'm slowly digesting the dialog, I can see why people change it quite a bit. Afterall, I don't envision myself saying "like a flower petal blooming" four times per class. Also, some of the sequencing is wrong. In Standing Bow he says Charge your body forward" before "Simultaneously kick your leg back and up toward the ceiling." We who have practiced a long time know it is more benificial to start the kicking motion first, then bring the body down. Otherwise, we have nowhere to go and just fall over. Of course, now I'll probably get hate mail for challenging Bikram.

Posted 2010-02-10 7:00 PM (#121420 - in reply to #121168)

jim - Not the point! I'm trying to talk about the DIALOGUE! But thanks.

veggie - HAHAHAHA... ahem, sorry. No, standing bow is not wrong, but you're definitely NOT the first person to say so!!

You'll see when you take Bikram's class, and Rajashree's, and Emmy's, that they ALL say "charge forward" first, and it's not by accident. Of course, "SIMULTANEOUSLY" is really the key word in those two lines, but you simply can't say two sentences at the same time, so one of those lines has to come first. Kicking without coming down is JUST as wrong as coming down without kicking.

There are PLENTY of teachers who'd be in your camp on that one (I hear it all the time), but I'm very firmly on the side of the dialogue. Especially when you are teaching newbies, they will understand what kicking means, but they will absolutely refuse to come down cause they don't want to fall. Gotta get them to come down, come down, come down, until the two feet are in one line from the side, which is where the benefits really start. Emmy says that ESPECIALLY when you are new, ESPECIALLY when you are inflexible, you've really gotta get your body down or else you will be grinding your in hip socket and shoulder socket. (Remember, the dialogue is written first and foremost for the beginning student.) Once you get more bendy, you can play a bit with the coordination... BUT... true story here... when my studio owner first told me to get my body down faster back in 2007, I immediately locked out my kicking leg in standing bow for the first time. On both sides. It was pretty convincing.

I LOVE "flower petal blooming"! You don't have to say it in every set, but please at LEAST say it once. It's one of my favorites. It's silly, but it makes people smile, which makes them relax, which makes them do a better posture. And it's actually a VERY good description of the action that needs to happen with the ribcage. It's not JUST fluff.

You can leave out "mama give me money," though. Hehe. THAT one is very, very uncommon outside of TT.

Posted 2010-02-10 7:10 PM (#121421 - in reply to #121168)

i don't have a problem with the order for standing bow in the dialogue.

but it might be noted that in other schools of yoga, the charging forward part is really a secondary movement, while the primary is to create the backbend and *then* move "charge forward." iyengar, astanga, and others of this "family" teach it that way. that the charging forward is the "second step."

so, it's actually not wrong either way.

what i have found, though, is that often people focus are charging forward and never end up with a back bend. those who focus on the back bend first, then the charging forward, end up in the right place more quickly. i don't know if the duration of time it takes a person to "get" a pose is important, though.

so, what i am saying is this: bikram's dialogue is not wrong, but it is also not wrong to back the person off and work the backbend first, and then the charging forward part.

also, i have found that telling the students to draw the chest forward as they kick back and then "charge forward" (i don't use charge, btu anyway), is waht really gets the posture going the "fastest." if that matters.

i love dancers pose.

Edited by zoebird 2010-02-10 7:12 PM

Posted 2010-02-10 7:26 PM (#121423 - in reply to #121168)

"SIMULTANEOUSLY"!!!

Hehehe.

If people don't kick enough, you've gotta get them to work more on that. If people don't come down enough, you've gotta get them to work more on THAT. People can get stuck in either place, for sure!

I think the "body down" bit is more important in our "family" because standing bow is sandwiched in the middle of a sequence of body down postures - standing head to knee, standing bow, and balancing stick - where the chest is brought down parallel to the floor to bring circulation through the heart. The backbend is ALMOST secondary, since we get to the serious backbends later, and this is just a warm-up. It's actually very closely related to balancing stick - abdomen down parallel to the floor - except that it only extends one side of the body at a time.

But that's actually a good point about dancer's pose in other families: I think some students have an image of that "first stage" in their head, which lets them hang out very happily up there without ever coming down at all. I just see SO many people who have been practicing for YEARS and are kicking quite nicely, but never bring their body down.

ZB, I love your perspective, cause you're making me think about the posture in its relation to the ENTIRE Bikram series! I forgot that the Bikram version IS distinct from the other yoga schools in this way - but it looks similar enough that people get confused!
veggiepose
Posted 2010-02-10 9:26 PM (#121427 - in reply to #121168)

I love your posts, DJ, I don't always agree with you, but you state your position beautifully. I'm actually grateful for the one about "tweeking" the dialog from time to time. I'm such a literalist, and when I got my dialog, it basically said that under no circumstances were we to change or modify it in any way. What you say makes better sense. Now, Create cramp!

Posted 2010-02-11 3:20 AM (#121436 - in reply to #121427)

how it fits into the sequencing is really, really important overall.

i'm trying to remember where it sits in astanga sequence. in baptiste, it goes eagle, hand to big toe balance (forward, and then out to the side), then that vinyasa goes straight into "airplane" and then warriorIII, to standing split (head on knee there), and then dancer's comes after, then tree. and then--at least when i was still there and teaching it--we went into back bends. so in a way, it was a prep for that.

so that might be why that school, in particular, emphasized it as a back bend rather than moving forward.

though, in my 'feeling' of bikram (that is, my interior physical experience) i find that going backward and then moving forward into balance works better--just as with the head-to-knee poses, a slow "rolling" process makes the alignment work out for me better.

i think it's because of what i need, what i'm conscious of needing. if i rush in those "cinnamon rolling" aspects, i do tweak myself. if i go forward "simultaneously" i both struggle with the balance and usually miss out on the backbend. by going into the back bend first, then going forward, i find that perfect place where i can do both simultaneously.

does tha tmake sense?
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)