YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Memorizing the Dialog
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Roy Batty
Posted 2010-02-11 1:28 PM (#121453 - in reply to #121423)
Subject: Re: Memorizing the Dialog

Regular

thedancingj - 2010-02-10 7:26 PM

I think the "body down" bit is more important in our "family" because standing bow is sandwiched in the middle of a sequence of body down postures - standing head to knee, standing bow, and balancing stick - where the chest is brought down parallel to the floor to bring circulation through the heart. The backbend is ALMOST secondary, since we get to the serious backbends later, and this is just a warm-up. It's actually very closely related to balancing stick - abdomen down parallel to the floor - except that it only extends one side of the body at a time.

This is a great point and illustrates why it sometimes is tough arguing between our series and other series. Sometimes we take a reductionist approach when discussing a single posture. Fact is, yes St. Bow is a backbend per se but the primary benefit beyond the outward physical appearance is what takes place within the circulation of the body. Standing Bow lets you decend through the first "eight rings of hell" until you hit the ninth in Balancing Stick. It is the effect on the heart (circulation) that is primary through those two postures and thus getting the body down would be primary if looking at it from an internal perspective.

Of course everybody wants a pretty standing bow. It's human nature
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-02-13 4:15 AM (#121484 - in reply to #121168)

so, oddly enough, i took a bikram class today.

we were at this horrible place called "the warehouse" and i just had to hit a class at a studio right by it called a "Bikram yoga studio." and therefore, i just went in and took class, quite literally, in my bathing suit.

it was lucky i was wearing that under my clothes due to lack of clean ones due to the fact we moved from YHA to apt, and i wanted to do the laundry for free! so, i was wearing it.

ryan returned home with the goods from the warehouse and the kiddo--with the help of a good friend--and i took the bikram class.

so, here is what i noted about "simultaneously"--i don't hit that point until right near the end of the amount of time we have to do the pose. then, i'm supposed to come out of it and then do the other side and then the second set. i just take my time getting there.

i wonder how that fits in. i mean, it is ultimately both simultaneously, i just take my time getting there.

how about you?
yoga-addict
Posted 2010-02-13 4:29 AM (#121486 - in reply to #121168)

Veteran

I feel there is also a bit of ambiguity in the pose- when I was at TT, both Raj and Bikram would sometimes encourage us to "charge our body forward", which means get your body down fast while simultaneously kicking back up- other times they would tell us to take our time and kick back as we slowly stretched forward towards the mirror. My feeling is that it's good to try both ways- sometimes allow yourself to come down slowly and with control, kicking and stretching as you go down. Other times it's fun to challenge yourself and charge forward to get the body down as quick as possible and then check in on the foot kicking back and the arm stretching forward.
Roy Batty
Posted 2010-02-13 3:43 PM (#121490 - in reply to #121486)

Regular

yoga-addict - 2010-02-13 4:29 AM
My feeling is that it's good to try both ways- sometimes allow yourself to come down slowly and with control, kicking and stretching as you go down. Other times it's fun to challenge yourself and charge forward to get the body down as quick as possible and then check in on the foot kicking back and the arm stretching forward.

Agreed. Remembering that the dialogue assumes you have first timers in class then the primary goal is to get them to charge forward and come down. What I often do then is show the person that's now down but has their calf "stuck" to back of their thigh how to increase the space between their calf and hamstring by kicking up.

With someone a little experienced, I agree that there are an infinite number of ways to practice.

But again, for teaching Bikram there is a theory to the order of the sequence and within that sequence, an order for the individual pose that has an internal aspect to it that is primary. It is one of the things I cherish most about this system of yoga.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)