YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Class without water
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

ubiquito
Posted 2010-01-27 4:34 PM (#121026)
Subject: Class without water

Hi all!

I have been practicing Bikram for approx. 7 months now and just recently decided to see what it would be like to go through class with no water. I just finished my fourth class without drinking any water and really love it although it can be a little trying when the room is especially hot! Without the distraction of thinking about and yearning for the few times that I used to take large drinks (after eagle and before triangle and fixed firm), I am able to focus much much more on my practice!

Daily, I drink 2-3 liters of water during the day before class and 1-2 liters afterwards, so I feel like I am getting sufficient hydration but I want to make sure that it is ok to go through class without drinking because everything that I can find searching the internet recommends that you DO drink some water during class.

Thoughts from those of you who abstain?

Thanks!

Jason
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-01-27 5:40 PM (#121028 - in reply to #121026)
Subject: Re: Class without water

Yep, it's TOTALLY fine to do exactly what you're doing! You don't really need to drink water in class. The "water bottle" is a relatively modern invention, and people were doing Bikram yoga in hot room before water bottles were really around. There are some senior teachers (Mary Jarvis!) who are still very well known for encouraging students to leave their water bottles outside.

I purposely went for a couple months without EVER drinking water during class, just to see if I could, and it wasn't too hard. It depends a lot on your studio conditions, though. In my experience, it's easy to go without water if the room is nice and juicy and humid. But if the room is really hot and dry, I definitely will drink water, because I see no need to go through class with a horrible dry mouth feeling!

I found that after I broke my "attachment" to the water bottle, it didn't distract me as much anymore when I brought it back into the room. These days I like to bring it in so I can drink when I'm actually thirsty or my mouth is dry - maybe one or two small sips per class - but I don't feel like I NEED it.

But it sounds like you're doing great! The only thing you didn't mention is electrolytes. You know about replacing electrolytes after class, right?
ubiquito
Posted 2010-01-27 5:53 PM (#121029 - in reply to #121028)

Thanks for your sage advice...good to hear!

As far as electrolytes go, I drink a coconut water after every class and sometimes also take down an Emergen-C. Is this sufficient or should I be doing more?

Posted 2010-01-27 6:19 PM (#121031 - in reply to #121026)

Yep, that should do it! Just wanted to double check... I've been doing that with people ever since I talked to my roommate, who had been practicing every day for a month, and realized she didn't know what an electrolyte was! Gotta make sure everyone gets that memo. ;-)

Posted 2010-01-28 4:59 PM (#121069 - in reply to #121026)

i don't know if i'm just exceptional at camel pose or what, but i have no problem abstaining from water in hot classes--whether low heat or bikram heat. i hardly sweat, either, and i stay well hydrated all day long (clear pee! woohoo!).

what i find difficult is when i have food that isn't right. by that i mean, it's rather unpredictable whta will be right that day. and the duration of time between eating and taking the class is also really important.

but i only learned this on those days when i say, went to eat thai food for lunch with a friend, and then around 4 was invited to take the 4:30 class with other friends and i'm like "i'm game" and then half way through i'm going to make thai chunks ont he mirror so i have to bail and then the shock of the cold freaks my body soundly, so i decide to do child's pose until it subsides but i'm pissed because now i paid $17 to do child's pose in a sauna which i could have done for free at the gym.

so, yeah.
kieranee
Posted 2010-01-30 3:05 AM (#121109 - in reply to #121026)

Depending how much water I've drunk during the day and how much intend to drink after the class, sometimes I do skip the water during class. You're right about making less distractions during class tho. But if you haven't drunk enough water during the day- that's a total no-no!

ubiquito
Posted 2010-01-31 2:10 PM (#121136 - in reply to #121109)

Well....I have gone a few more classes without water and it has gotten easier and easier. I hardly miss it at all!

Will now make it a point, however, to avoid the Thai Chunks.

Ram
Posted 2010-02-05 1:18 PM (#121264 - in reply to #121026)

I have a frozen vitamen water that thaws out during class. I look at it as a treat as I go along. No way would I punish myself any more then the class does.
njguy
Posted 2010-02-19 11:42 AM (#121568 - in reply to #121026)

I still remember my first Bikram class, when I saw all these people bringing in icy water bottles, and whenever I had a chance, I would gulp down cold water. After awhile, though, I also discovered that the water didn't really cool me down that much. If I was well hydrated before the class, skipping the water made no difference. I still bring in the bottle, just to be "conformist", but don't even open it until I'm on my way home.
lockdaknee
Posted 2010-02-26 5:01 PM (#121671 - in reply to #121026)

Regular

no water is great because you have one less thing to think about. not drinking gives you more time to focus in between postures on staying totally calm and bringing your body and breath into total relaxation ie meditation.

i personally drink a ton before and after. i sweat like a sprinkler in there but only occasionally take water and then only a few teaspoons worth at party time. water = unneeded distraction
ferret
Posted 2010-02-26 10:06 PM (#121679 - in reply to #121026)

I think not drinking water can be a distraction, too, when people make it into a contest or boast that they don't drink water. Everyone's needs are different. It is a newbie mistake to think that slurping water during class will help you feel cooler. However, not everyone can sail through a class with no water. I find that if I don't drink enough water during class, I get a headache later. That's dehydration. Exercising 90 minutes in 105 degrees/40% humidity is no joke. I take antihistamines regularly, and I think that drying effect may be part of it. Plus we all have our own unique genetic makeup, and there is an acclimation period when you start exercising in the heat, during which your body is just not very efficient and may lose more sweat that it needs to. A poor night of sleep, a bit of alcohol or salty food, an illness, or other changes can affect whether you need water during class, too. Of course the ideal is to be well hydrated, but not everyone has a perfect day every day. I go to early classes and I know sometimes I arrive at class and realize I didn't do a good job of hydrating after being dry all night. On days like that, it's good to have a water bottle!

I take water at the normal "breaks," but I don't obsess on it. I am pretty well adjusted to the heat, so I don't grab my water for comfort or escape. I'm just taking care of my needs. The same way I would deal with my hair if it fell out of a ponytail, adjust my top if it was in danger of coming off, or leave to use the bathroom if I had an "emergency." It's not a performance for my teacher or my neighbors--it's MY practice, and I'm not going to be able to focus on my breathing and my body if I am constantly reminded of some silly distraction that I am too much of a stud to take care of, like thirst.

Ferret
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)