YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram's CD
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

erikro
Posted 2010-01-15 10:28 AM (#120706)
Subject: Bikram's CD

What are everyones thoughts?

Thanks,
Erik
Top of the page Bottom of the page
freiamaya
Posted 2010-01-15 4:15 PM (#120712 - in reply to #120706)
Subject: Re: Bikram's CD

Haven't seen it; haven't heard it; have no idea!
Freia

Posted 2010-01-15 4:47 PM (#120714 - in reply to #120706)

Got it off Itunes. Love it. I practice to it when I can't get to a class and I always have a good time. It's a slightly edited recording of Bikram actually teaching a class (from like the 80s), so you get the massive entertainment value of taking Bikram's class, along with the instructions for the postures. He's really funny, and he says some great things. There are just a couple of spots where he leaves out dialogue (especially for transitions between postures), so it wouldn't be the best way to LEARN the series, but it's a great way to practice if you've already read the books or been to classes.
veggiepose
Posted 2010-01-15 7:07 PM (#120716 - in reply to #120706)

It's not bad and can be of help when you can't get to class. I agree that some of the transitions seem to be missing but there is a caveat on the cover, telling new people to read the book first. That kind of cracked me up.
vibes
Posted 2010-01-15 9:16 PM (#120718 - in reply to #120716)

Extreme Veteran

Its funny.It depends how serious you are about bikram yoga.Its worth getting a friend to copy/lend to you for a laugh.Not worth the 20 bucks though.You better of donating the 20 bucks to help the poor suffering earthquake victims of Haiti (far more rewarding)-my heart goes to them!
towelie
Posted 2010-01-22 3:02 PM (#120923 - in reply to #120706)

I have never met bikram, but do own the cd. It just makes me love his class more. Plus, its nice to see that when he says a posture is only 10 seconds, he really means 25 (balancing stick). I really love what he says after the second set of half locust. "If you let anyone steal your happiness or peace away from you, you are the loser". I think of this often when I am frustrated and it really keeps me mellow. I also find it hilarious that he gives you about 15 seconds of rest from the sanding series to the floor. Sometimes he is a little hard to understand. For example, he says yoga is a "gas station", where you gain energy instead of burning energy", for the longest time I thought he said gestation, which made no sense. All in all, if you have taken the class for awhile, its a great way to experience Bikram's personality.
Lisa
Posted 2010-02-04 12:52 PM (#121218 - in reply to #120706)

I have the CD and I am practicing at home because there are no Bikram studios in the place where I live. I have 2 other recorded classes and I use them all. The advantage of the Bikram CD is that it is quite a good class, but the disadvantage is that it is (for me) not a suitable class to play everyday! I would prefer a good class without extra information, jokes etc. Just the dialogue would be great for me. That is much easier to listen to on a daily basis. However, I realize that his class was probably not made for listening to it everyday. But if anyone has good suggestions for a just-dialogue-CD, I would be happy! Thanks, Lisa
amyf
Posted 2010-02-13 1:03 AM (#121480 - in reply to #120706)

Veteran

i ended up recording my own cd i found also the timing of on other cds
barky
Posted 2010-02-14 1:33 PM (#121507 - in reply to #120706)
Subject: RE: Bikram's CD

I have have been doing Bikram for about four years now. I had been practicing at 5 in the morning with a partner in the heated Bikram studio for about two of those years 5 times a week. We practiced to the cd. I know it verbatim. I also think its great. It takes you where you need to go and there is really no need to over evaluate it. I do think it is good to take classes with a live teacher also. since my Yoga partner said she could not make mornings anymore I now practice with her to the CD three times a week at nite and take five classes with a techer. Its all good.
Gotta have the heat and gotta have a mirror. And it also helps having someone else doing it with you. I always post little snipets of Bikrams motivating and entertaining
wordage on our Facebook Page Bikram Rio Grande Become a Fan!
Happy and Harmonious Asanas
Barky
amyf
Posted 2010-02-15 9:44 AM (#121515 - in reply to #120706)

Veteran

yes nothing is quite like going to a live class. I have a two year old though and a hubby that works out of town so to pay for day care AND the session is a treat. I have a heated studio with mirrors in our home that I practice in and rotate cds and a silent class.
Lisa
Posted 2010-02-15 2:06 PM (#121516 - in reply to #120706)

That's what I am doing as well, I am rotating the 3 cds I have. I am very happy with Bikram yoga and do like the yoga very much.....but I just don't like Bikram's recorded class so much! Most of the time I end up using the other cds. It is a matter of taste of course! I find it a good idea to record my own cd I with just the names of the poses and the table of pose timings. The nearest studio is at least 2000 km away and I agree that studio lessons are great! Although practising on your own has also its charm, other type of concentration, no smells etc.
psimmons
Posted 2010-02-19 10:42 AM (#121566 - in reply to #120706)

I use the CD. 80 Mi from the nearest studio...so the CD is my practice. I like it...very predictable. Though I have thought about going to a few classes to tape them and get a bit of variety.

amyf
Posted 2010-02-20 9:55 AM (#121583 - in reply to #120706)

Veteran

i would LOVE to tape few live classes but have not thought of a way to this and I thought it would not be allowed

Posted 2010-02-20 12:32 PM (#121584 - in reply to #121583)

Hide a spycam in your sports bra and make sure that it doesn't get wet.

Posted 2010-02-20 3:50 PM (#121585 - in reply to #121583)

amyf - 2010-02-20 6:55 AM

i would LOVE to tape few live classes but have not thought of a way to this and I thought it would not be allowed

You could at least try asking your teacher if they would mind! It's not unheard of. You'd just need some kind of little voice recorder. I have one that hooks up with my Ipod - pretty sweet.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)