YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

asthtanga and the spine
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Ram
Posted 2010-01-01 10:23 AM (#120353)
Subject: asthtanga and the spine

I have been doing bikram for two years. Three times a week. It's been great for my back. But my yearly membership is coming up for renewel and I was thinking about branching out for a while to prevent stagnation.

Does ashtanga do a good job on the back. Does every class work the back like Bikram. What is the main difference between ashtanga and bikram?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-01-01 1:55 PM (#120354 - in reply to #120353)
Subject: Re: asthtanga and the spine

yes, it does.

the sequence is different, that's really it. you do more postures, lots of nice vinyasas with back bends.

uhm, lets see, ok, here's a similarity. Bikram says that his sequence is a deeply healing, therapeutic sequence of 27 classical postures. Jois called his primary series "yoga chitta" which means "yoga therapy." the first sequence is to help open the whole body, heal each system, etc.

i find that the primary series, in particular, really opens the back body. it's very balanced and joyful to practice. i think that you will enjoy it.

worst case scenario, you try it and don't like it, and go back to bikram or whatever else.

if you like heat, you might like baron baptiste's power yoga. it's a vinyasa practiced in heat, and it's really a sort of hybrid between bikram and astanga. it's a good balanced sequence, and i find that it does well for the back body too. it's meant to be an all levels or beginners, general therapeutic sequence too.

whenever i see you name, i go "ram ram hare ram ram ram hare hare!" i don't know why. it's just, like, what my brain does.
Iraputra
Posted 2010-01-01 3:47 PM (#120355 - in reply to #120353)
Subject: RE: asthtanga and the spine

Veteran

Yes, the sequence of postures is very different. Lots of sweat is produced from the vinyasa (movement and breath), bandhas and the vigorous practice itself in Ashtanga.

Instead of Kapalabhati breathing, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga (AVY) uses the Ujjayi breath througout the entire practice, except in Savasana, i.e. taking rest at the end of practice. Every asana in AVY has one of nine drishtis (gazing points). Most important bandhas (locks) are uddiyana and mula bandha.

Optimal temperatures for AVY are generally around 25 ºC (rather than the 40 ºC for Bikram), but ultimately it is your own choice if you like it hot or cool - both have its advantages and drawbacks. I would recommend to keep it above 20 ºC and below 30 ºC. There is no drinking of fluid during the AVY practice, even though the loss of fluid can be in the amount of litres, just as in Bikram Yoga.

I think that in AVY, as in Bikram Yoga, you need to be careful not to push beyond your limits. Other than that, I think AVY is both the more difficult and potentially more rewarding kind of yoga practice. AVY will work your entire body, and soon enough your mind as well. To simplify, Bikram is more of a yogic sauna experience, while AVY when done properly is a moving meditation of breath.

If you are so inclined, traditional AVY includes the chanting of opening and closing mantras.

Sun salutations, Surya Namaskara A and B, is the first foundation of AVY, and always the first sequence of asanas, followed by a standing sequence of Padangustasana/Pada-Hastasana, Trikonasana, Parshvakonasana, Prasarita Padottanasana, Parshvottanasana; and if doing the Primary Series (Yoga Chikitsa) of the seated postures, continuing with: Utthita Hasta Padangustasana, Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana, Utkatasana, and Virabhadrasana A & B.

Then you do the Primary Series (or Intermediate, or Advanced)... with (usually) half vinyasa or (the more demanding) full vinyasa (back to standing). However, as a fresh beginner you will start by learning the sun salutations, and the standing asanas, one by one - not proceding with a new asana until the previously received are being done proficiently.

And then there is always a finishing sequence of asanas: Urdhva Dhanurasana, Pashimottanasana (counterpose to the backbends), Sarvangasana, Halasana, Karnapidasana, Urdhva Padmasana, Pindasana, Matsyasana, Uttana Padasana, Chakrasana, Shirshasana, Balasana, Padmasana, Baddha Padmasana, Yoga Mudra, Padmasana with Jnana Mudra, Utpluthi, and Shavasana.

The AVY asanas (as the Bikram sequence) will work your spine with forward bending, twisting and backbending. The main difference, other than what is mentioned above, is probably that any one of the AVY series (even the Primary) is more advanced than the Bikram series.

I believe the Bikram Yoga Postures are as follows:

1. Pranayama Series (Standing Deep Breathing)
2. Ardha Chandrasana with Pada-Hastasana (Half Moon Posture, Hands to Feet Posture concurrently)
3. Utkatasana (Awkward Posture)
4. Garudasana (Eagle Posture)
5. Dandayamana-JanuShirasana (Standing Head to Knee Posture)
6. Dandayamana-Dhanurasana (Standing Bow Pulling Posture)
7. Tuladandasana (Balancing Stick Posture)
8. Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Paschimottanasana (Standing Separate Leg Stretch Posture)
9. Trikonasana (Triangle Posture)
10. Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Janushirasana (Standing Separate, Leg/Head to Knee Posture)
11. Tadasana (Tree Posture)
12. Padangustasana (Toe Stand Posture)
13. Savasana (Dead Body Posture)
14. Pavanamuktasana (Wind Removing Posture)
15. Sit up Posture
16. Bhujangasana (Cobra Posture)
17. Salabhasana (Locust Posture)
18. Poorna-Salabhsana (Full Locust Posture)
19. Dhanurasana (Bow Posture)
20. Supta-Vajrasana (Fixed Firm Posture)
21. Ardha-Kurmasana (Half Tortoise Posture)
22. Ustrasana (Camel Posture)
23. Sasangasana (Rabbit Posture)
24. Janushirasana with Paschimottanasana (Head to Knee Posture, Stretching posture concurrently)
25. Ardha-Natsyendrasana (Spine Twisting Posture)
26. Khapalbhati (Deep breathing)

Try to find a good teacher that you trust, and practice regularly under his/her guidance.
lashannasmall
Posted 2010-01-06 10:15 PM (#120454 - in reply to #120354)

that is actually "yoga Chikitsa" but the answer is right on.
zoebird - 2010-01-01 1:55 PM

yes, it does.

the sequence is different, that's really it. you do more postures, lots of nice vinyasas with back bends.

uhm, lets see, ok, here's a similarity. Bikram says that his sequence is a deeply healing, therapeutic sequence of 27 classical postures. Jois called his primary series "yoga chitta" which means "yoga therapy." the first sequence is to help open the whole body, heal each system, etc.

i find that the primary series, in particular, really opens the back body. it's very balanced and joyful to practice. i think that you will enjoy it.

worst case scenario, you try it and don't like it, and go back to bikram or whatever else.

if you like heat, you might like baron baptiste's power yoga. it's a vinyasa practiced in heat, and it's really a sort of hybrid between bikram and astanga. it's a good balanced sequence, and i find that it does well for the back body too. it's meant to be an all levels or beginners, general therapeutic sequence too.

whenever i see you name, i go "ram ram hare ram ram ram hare hare!" i don't know why. it's just, like, what my brain does.

Posted 2010-01-07 3:19 PM (#120473 - in reply to #120454)

ah, there it is!

yoga chitta narodaha (sp?) first sutra of patanjali? my brain is cluttered these days. thanks for the correction!
lashannasmall
Posted 2010-01-07 6:12 PM (#120489 - in reply to #120473)

My favorite verse in the sutras!
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2010-01-08 9:45 PM (#120534 - in reply to #120473)

I think there is a vritti in there.

Yoga chitta vritti naradoha.
Yoga is the cessation of the waves of the mind.

Posted 2010-01-08 11:16 PM (#120535 - in reply to #120534)

Swami Venkatesananda translated it: “Yoga happens when there is stilling (in the sense of continual and vigilant watchfulness) of the movement of thought - without expression or suppression - in the indivisible intelligence in which there is no movement.”

Alert observation (direct perception, awareness) unfiltered (without expression or suppression) and without the words in your head (the movement of thought). The meal, not the menu!

Some traditions call this "choiceless awareness."
Ram
Posted 2010-01-18 11:55 AM (#120773 - in reply to #120353)

thanks for your answers. I looked around and couldnt find a place that did ashtanga regularily like Bikram so I renewed my one year unlimited with Bikram. Mabe next year I will branch out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)