YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga post-surgery
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

la_vanessa
Posted 2009-12-05 10:22 PM (#119761)
Subject: Yoga post-surgery

hi everyone! i'm new to this board. i tried a quick search for this topic but didn't see much, apologies if this has been discussed before, and please direct me to the right thread.

i'll be having gallbladder surgery soon. obviously i will get my surgeon's opinion but i wondered if anyone else out there has had this and how it affected his/her practice. how long did it take to get back into it? did you start slowly? any asanas to avoid in particular at the beginning? and so on.

thank you!
Vanessa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2009-12-06 10:50 AM (#119775 - in reply to #119761)
Subject: RE: Yoga post-surgery

Expert Yogi

vanessa -it depends a lot on your body, your practice and the surgery. I am assuming this will be a laparascopic surgery? That definitely makes the recovery quicker. I had a laparascopic surgery a few years ago (not gall bladder) and found it took MUCH longer than I thought it would to be able to do even simple poses.

One pose that was extremely helpful almost right away was supta baddhakonasana. I could do that in the hospital bed and it helped keep my abdomen soft and was very comfortable. Pranayama was also helpful, not because I could do a full practice, but because I know how to direct my breath. The physio they sent to teach me how to breathe well post surgery was very impressed that I could take deep, full inhalations without strain. She just laughed and said "you don't need me at all!"

After I got home it still took a good long time before I could do much of anything. Even legs up the wall, which I was really craving and thought would be so nice, was not accessible for at least 2 weeks. OTOH, I was able to start practicing ballroom dancing (a little bit and carefully) after 3 weeks, so I think my asana practice was getting started again by then.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope all goes well. Let us know!
lashannasmall
Posted 2009-12-13 8:53 PM (#119981 - in reply to #119761)
Subject: Re: Yoga post-surgery

I would listen to my doc on this one. The asana will be there when you are ready, no rush. Just practice the other 8 limbs until you heal up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)