YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pull ups and other exercises
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Bream
Posted 2009-12-02 9:35 PM (#119662)
Subject: Pull ups and other exercises

I've been doing Ashtanga for about 6 months and practice every day. I've also become a vegan in that 6 month period and have dropped considerable weight (from 155lb to 130lb). I'd like to strengthen my upper body and have considered doing pull ups. Will this interfere with yoga? Or could it work as a good supplementary exercise?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
vibes
Posted 2009-12-03 6:54 AM (#119664 - in reply to #119662)
Subject: Re: Pull ups and other exercises

Extreme Veteran

If you do pull ups with awareness of details of how the whole body moves together observing lots of small details, it will really help.
voirin
Posted 2009-12-11 1:49 PM (#119925 - in reply to #119662)

Interesting topic...

I have purely been doing an Ashtanga daily practice for the past 7 weeks (also losing a considerable amount of weight during this time - around 28 lbs) and have only recently incorporated pull ups alone into my regime (to get back into rock climbing) . Although too early to tell, I am not finding any drawbacks. On the other hand, I am becoming more aware of my back/shoulders during the practice and my down-dog seems stronger and more stable.
Iraputra
Posted 2010-01-19 5:01 AM (#120809 - in reply to #119662)

Veteran

Yes, good supplementary exercise, especially if you feel like you need it.

It will strengthen your latissimus dorsi (and biceps brachii) and possibly your abdominal muscles as well. Holding your hands at different angles and also trying a wider grip will target those muscles differently. It's a very good exercise and it will help you with keeping your shoulders down and wide in many postures (like the mentioned down-dog) where beginners often have a tendency to hunchback, which is not recommended and often leads to problems (pain/stiffness) in the upper back. Keeping the shoulders away from the ears is good alignment, generally speaking.

So, I'd say have at it, and even better if you don't forget to stretch those muscles as well, after your strength building exercise.

I would also recommend stretching your pectoralis minor and serratus anterior, which also prevents a tendency of hunched back (too much kyphosis of the thorax). A natural and relaxed posture, i.e. good alignment of your shoulders etc., will be very good for your body and your yoga practice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)