YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram Retreat
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Dodger
Posted 2009-11-27 4:28 PM (#119621)
Subject: Bikram Retreat

My wife just started with Bikram yoga and although its difficult to get to classes since the closest studio is 45 min.-1 hr. away she should be going regularly starting next month. Her job is very stressful and I would like to surprise her with a Bikram vacation/retreat in Jan./Feb but haven't been able to find one in a warm weather location that's affordable. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-11-27 8:00 PM (#119626 - in reply to #119621)
Subject: Re: Bikram Retreat

You haven't said what you consider to be affordable. Bikram's website gives the location of all the affiliated studios. That's one way to start.

If it were me, I would either go to LA so I could practice at headquarters, or to San Francisco to practice at Mary Jarvis' studio. Third option in the U.S. would probably be Vegas, not for any particular teacher or studio, but for the other Vegas perks.

Posted 2009-11-28 2:05 AM (#119636 - in reply to #119621)

Ok, first of all, I applaud you as a husband!!! That is an absolutely fabulous idea for a gift. She is a lucky lady!

Now, hmm... there are a few organized retreats, like the Hawaii one here - http://www.bikramyogaretreats.com/retreat-dates.html - which I imagine you've already found. It is pretty $$$. There are a lot of people who like Bikram yoga who HAVE $$$, so unfortunately the prices can really get driven up!

Duffy's idea of creating-your-own retreat is a great one. Find a good studio in a nice warm location, check into a nice hotel (courtesy of Travelocity or some other similar travel deals website), and let her kick back for a week, just hanging around in the sun and going to as many classes as she wants. I would so NOT suggest headquarters for this purpose - sorry Duffy! - but if I am trying to get away from a stressful work environment, I am NOT gonna go to L.A. Ugh. I go to HQ in LA when Bikram's teaching, but "relaxing" is not the word I'd use for it. But depending on your wife's taste sand your location, I bet you could find somewhere affordable that works for you. Maybe one of the SoCal beach towns like Laguna Beach, or somewhere in Florida... be creative! It's in the 70's in South Carolina and they've got a really nice studio. Vegas has great studios, and it's warm for sure. New Mexico is absolutely gorgeous and has good Bikram, too. If you toss some ideas at us, maybe you'll can find people who can vouch personally for one studio or another. Hope we can help!

Posted 2009-11-28 9:57 AM (#119640 - in reply to #119621)

Also, Bikram's wife, Rajashree, frequently holds workshops at various yoga/spa/wellness centers around the country & world--I've enjoyed those on a few occasions.
Dodger
Posted 2009-11-28 11:17 AM (#119641 - in reply to #119621)
Subject: RE: Bikram Retreat

Great info. so far. Thank you. I had checked out the Hawaii retreats and although that is a consideration with airfare etc. it would be beyond my current means. We live in NorCal so a SoCal trip is a definite possibility. I would like something where she could be totally removed from distractions/stress of the outside world and enjoy the peace/serenity in a place like a yoga retreat where she can enjoy the body/mind experience, eat vegetarian food and meditate which she doesn't get to do here at home much. <$1000 for a week is probably my goal + travel costs.

Posted 2009-11-28 4:33 PM (#119646 - in reply to #119621)

Oooh, good idea from Bruce! Here's one! This ain't the Bahamas, and it's only a weekend, but there's a really nice 4 day retreat with Rajashree at Kripalu in January - http://www.kripalu.org/program/view/BYR-101/ You won't get warm weather there (it's in Massachusetts), but it meets the rest of your requirements - very beautiful serene place devoted exclusively to yoga and meditation, natural vegetarian dining, the works. And I'm sure she could stay for an extra couple nights there doing other, non-Bikram yoga type activities. The tricky bit is the airfare to the east coast, but mid-January might be a great time for travel deals. (I've seen airfare from LAX to Boston for 100 bucks each way when they are running specials...) And Rajashree is amazing. Can't get much better than her for quality Bikram yoga time.

Edited by thedancingj 2009-11-28 4:35 PM

Posted 2009-11-28 7:12 PM (#119648 - in reply to #119621)

Raj is a hoot--highly recommended!
Zoef
Posted 2009-12-04 5:29 PM (#119727 - in reply to #119621)

Hello,
We organize Bikram vacations at the beautiful beach of Manuel Antiono in Costa Rica. You can join us for the whole month og January or for one or two weeks. For more information see our website: http://www.bikramyogavacations.com
We hope to see you there!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)