YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sick as a dog: 3 months no Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

joysweat
Posted 2009-11-17 10:35 PM (#119493)
Subject: Sick as a dog: 3 months no Bikram

I have no idea whether there's any correlation between my weakened immune system and my previously regular Bikram class (3x/week avg); I'm personally just searching for insight and feedback (and sympathy, gimme sympathy).

After a dedicated practice for almost a year, I first came down with a cold/chest infection at the end of August. I've been on antibiotics so whatever bacterial infection I may have had is gone, but still I've continued to have cold after cold after cold...I just can't seem to get better. A brief exception was a one-and-a-half-week period in mid-September during which I felt well enough to re-enter a studio four times (for less demanding classes than Bikram but still wonderful) only to get sick again. I've done some traveling during this past quarter as well, which doesn't help. But heck, normally I'm the healthy one; everyone around me gets sick, not me.

I'd really like to feel better and return to my lovely Bikram studio but first need to get past congestion, coughing and fatigue.

So, just wondering if anyone else out there has ever been smacked with something like this or has heard of this happening? Of course, as I said at the top, there may be no correlation between my Bikram practice and having become a whiny, stuffed-up couch potato, so please don't take offense, I'm just exploring my intuition.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gogirl58
Posted 2009-11-18 2:44 AM (#119494 - in reply to #119493)
Subject: RE: Sick as a dog: 3 months no Bikram

Extreme Veteran

Hi, I wonder if you have seen a doctor?
bluewave
Posted 2009-11-18 4:13 AM (#119495 - in reply to #119493)

Hi Joy,
Yes I have had similar and it can be frustrating when your health is not as good as it should be.
Check for food intolerances, but if you have had a bad infection it can take a long time to recover.

But please go and make an appointment to see your doctor again

hope your feeling better soon. x
Cyndi
Posted 2009-11-19 12:21 AM (#119509 - in reply to #119493)

Expert Yogi

Hey Joysweat,

I think perhaps it's part of your journey and you should honor where you are at. Having that said...

This is probably a great time to practice at home. I wouldn't do really hot heat, just make it comfortable for you to monitor your body without the extreme heat and stress - something in the temp. range from real warm to almost hot is a good start. Ask your body what feels right, believe me, it will tell you. Then, I would start slowly with doing just the standing series - 1 time, and see how you feel. Work slowly with this and let this be a stepping stone and/or analyze how you feel and see how you can incorporate yoga back into your life. Do this only once a week, and build up to doing more, maybe twice...and then add floor postures when you are ready...and do them once. You can make the rules!! But, try to stay as close as you can with the sequence...unless you know some really good modifications on poses and/or other similar methods of other systems of yoga postures that are almost the same. Example: I sometimes like to do some Warrior Sequences when I get to Triangle and Standing Separate Leg Forehead to Knee - when I feel bad, I don't do these 2 together period. I add 3-4 different Warriors at this point before Tree and Toe Stand instead of Bikram's way.

I think rest is real important but at the same time, yoga is needed too. Bikram doesn't address this very well. I think most of us that have been down these roads have sought out other avenue's of yoga to heal us and direct us towards other methods of this wonderful practice of just simply YOGA. Bikram is a great practice, but sometimes we just need more for our bodies and.. this is part of our spiritual journey for, so that we can gain more experiences with our selves, our bodies and health, etc. etc....you never know until you've been through it and can survive it to talk about it, which is what sharing our practice in teaching is about. But most of all, everyone is so different and has their own unique personal experiences with their bodies. We're bringing up so much crap on every single level, emotionally and physically down to every single organ in our body!! So, be loving and gentle with yourself as you delve deeper into your practice, you must be able to allow your body to heal and recover. Your body is in a lot of trauma and this is where the rest is VITAL for your recovery. Don't over push at this point, just be neutral and go only as far as you can go...and breathe. Try chanting a short mantra - OM's are powerful and healing in times like these,

You may find yourself in another yoga studio, and if so, don't worry about loyalties to our styles of yoga that we cherish and love....we never abandon what we've learned, we just stay on our journey of learning and keeping an open mind. I do all sorts of styles of yoga and there is something GOOD in ALL methods of yoga, because it is all HATHA yoga. It was designed for human bodies and there is so much to explore, which is what yoga is all about.

Good luck and best wishes with everything!

Edited by Cyndi 2009-11-19 12:29 AM
joysweat
Posted 2009-11-22 3:09 AM (#119550 - in reply to #119493)
Subject: Re: Sick as a dog: 3 months no Bikram

Kind thanks for the replies. I didn't expect to feel so moved.

Have seen the doctor(s) on several occasions but still appreciate the expressions of concern, Gogirl and Bluewave. Bluewave, I don't eat gluten (hurrah celiac) but exploring food intolerances is worthwhile. Thanks.

Cyndi, it's very kind of you to take the time to share your thoughts and recommendations. I hadn't considered the option of starting slowly at home as you suggest, with Standing Series only to start. That's the kind of great advice that you know is great because as soon as you hear it, it suddenly seems SO obvious. Thanks. I'm also very touched by the compassion that you offer by way of encouraging acceptance of current circumstances. I'm frustrated that 'this being sick for ages' is beyond my control, yet the frustration certainly does nothing to alleviate anything.

I'll check in here again if and when I have anything to report on my status. Take care.

Edited by joysweat 2009-11-22 3:12 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)