YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I feel a *presence* in front of me while mediating/mantras
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

leethinker
Posted 2009-11-12 5:53 AM (#119435)
Subject: I feel a *presence* in front of me while mediating/mantras

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing kundalini yoga for about a year now. I've noticed that pretty much everytime I am meditating and chanting mantras, I feel a presence in front of me, towards my left side. It feels like it is an old man sitting in front of me. I know that sounds crazy but I am serious.
I don't know whether to feel frightened or comforted.

Has anyone heard of this happening? And if so, could it be a guardian angel or something dangerous? Or am I just crazy???

Thanks for your help!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-11-12 1:41 PM (#119436 - in reply to #119435)
Subject: RE: I feel a *presence* in front of me while mediating/mantras

Hi Kerri,
You have a vivid imagination.

Whatever it is that you are experiencing, you are creating it; you are projecting this "presence." If you want to test this, just ask someone else to watch as you meditate and chant mantras and ask them what they saw. Make sure you don't prejudice their observations by telling them about your "presence" ahead of their observing. Hallucinations are common after receiving too much or too little oxygen to your brain from chanting, depending on how you do it.
Namaste,
jimg

Cyndi
Posted 2009-11-12 11:31 PM (#119439 - in reply to #119435)

Expert Yogi

Hi Kerrie,

I totally agree with Jim...BUT, I also know that if you are in fact feeling a presence around you, this is not something you should be discussing with anyone, except your guru. It's very possible that you have a spirit guide around you and this is a very personal matter and you should keep it to yourself, don't tell others about it. Embrace it, go with it and allow the presence to work with you. If you find that it bothers you or disturbs you in any way, then you need to ask that spirit to leave.

Best wishes with this.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-11-15 11:16 PM (#119457 - in reply to #119435)

Extreme Veteran

leethinker - 2009-11-12 5:53 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing kundalini yoga for about a year now. I've noticed that pretty much everytime I am meditating and chanting mantras, I feel a presence in front of me, towards my left side. It feels like it is an old man sitting in front of me. I know that sounds crazy but I am serious.
I don't know whether to feel frightened or comforted.

Has anyone heard of this happening? And if so, could it be a guardian angel or something dangerous? Or am I just crazy???

Thanks for your help!

Namaste Kerri,
Cyndi is right, if you are really feeling a presence around you, this is not something you should be discussing publicly this way, except your guru. So please talk to your Guru. He would be the right person to guide you……….
Wish you all the best

joyoga
Posted 2009-11-17 3:19 PM (#119473 - in reply to #119457)

I also think it is imagination.
How one can experience the presence of an old man in front of him everytime during meditation! Its really sounds crazy...
I am sorry..
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-11-17 6:08 PM (#119484 - in reply to #119473)

Extreme Veteran

I am sorry Joseph, Its not so........
But its better we dont talk about it. If I had any opportunity to meet you in person or if you attend my workshop then we talk more about this.

Best wishes

Posted 2009-11-18 2:17 PM (#119502 - in reply to #119484)

We, as human beings, have personal and cultural symbols. We often project those symbols externally as well as internally. (Dreams are an excellent example.) Symbols are a representation of reality, not reality.

Rather than losing touch with reality over time, I would suggest using your imagination in an artistic way, where you are more aware of the boundaries between reality and symbolism.

Mischa
Posted 2009-11-27 7:46 PM (#119625 - in reply to #119502)
Subject: Re: I feel a *presence* in front of me while mediating/mantras

Hi Leethinker,

I don't agree with what the others have said, and I don't think you should put these obviously quite tangible experiences down to just your imagination. And it does not sound crazy - just unusual! Some find it hard to except that there is more than the physical world, but many people have experiences such as this, and not necessarily through yoga or any specific spiritual practice. I don't think its anything to get freaked out about either! If you can, try to find someone (genuine) who can help you figure out what is happening there. If you don't find anyone, just wait, observe, be a witness, be detached, and something may be revealed to you in your meditation, or probably it will just stop happening after a while. Just let it be, don't worry! Probably it is just something that you need to learn from this presence, that you may realise, or not!
I wish you well.
vibes
Posted 2009-12-02 7:14 PM (#119661 - in reply to #119625)

Extreme Veteran

That old presence is probably a window cleaner
Susan
Posted 2011-10-03 1:21 PM (#209304 - in reply to #119435)

If the presence disturbs you, try burning some nag champa or dragonsblood incense
While you ground and center before you meditate. Half the people on this threawill probably think I am crazy and that is alright. When we open ourselves up to a higher level we have different experiances. This is nothing to be ashamed of. Suggestions of keeping this to yourself I am thinking is to protect you from ignorance of others which is wise. Guru can guide you spiritually and much more approptiately and completely.
Namaste&SatNam
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)