YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about closing hands over head
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

bikramlover
Posted 2009-11-01 8:02 AM (#119317)
Subject: Question about closing hands over head

Hey Guys,

My question is: I can't seem to actually close my hands when I put them over my head when I start in Half Moon Pose.

I just can't seem to close my hands up tight when I interlock my fingers.
My elbows seem to jam up and my left shoulder seems to click and stiffen up when I get my hands straight up over my head.

I have a feeling that my shoulder muscles may be inflexible and that may be a result of my crossfit training. What can I do to loosen my those muscles to give me greater flexibility?

Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-11-01 1:55 PM (#119320 - in reply to #119317)
Subject: Re: Question about closing hands over head

Umm... squeeze your hands together as much as you can in half moon while trying to lock your elbows?

Seriously, one of the main points of the series is to open up exactly the areas that you are talking about. So what you can do is more yoga. Doing something to help your performance in yoga class, in my opinion, reverses the priorities.
freiamaya
Posted 2009-11-01 4:53 PM (#119321 - in reply to #119317)

You might try pointing towards the ceiling and try to touch the ceiling with your index fingers. Then note the position of your arms. I noticed that I would face the mirror with my arms at my side with my palms facing the back wall. I'd raise my arms and just rotate my wrists to get them to touch. THAT is super hard to do. So what I do now is rotate my elbows in towards my head. Kind of like rotating your arms from the elbow facing the front wall to facing your ears. Squeeze your ears with your inner arms! This brings your palms together. It takes alot of practice and time to get the hang of it with respect to the endurance, but it WILL come. Hope this makes sense!

Posted 2009-11-01 4:58 PM (#119322 - in reply to #119320)

Duffy Pratt - 2009-11-01 10:55 AM
Seriously, one of the main points of the series is to open up exactly the areas that you are talking about. So what you can do is more yoga. Doing something to help your performance in yoga class, in my opinion, reverses the priorities.

AGREE. I've never found anything that opens up my shoulders better and faster than Bikram yoga. All you have to do is keep going to class and trying your best. Simple!!
ferret
Posted 2009-11-01 9:36 PM (#119325 - in reply to #119317)

Lots of yoga would be great, but not everyone can get to bikram yoga class every day. Between classes, you can do shoulder stretches to help things go in the right direction. You can find lots of sets of shoulder and arm stretches on the internet. It feels so good!

Ferret
bikramlover
Posted 2009-11-03 6:34 AM (#119356 - in reply to #119317)

Freiamaya - thanks for the tip I tried it tonight and it helped. Am just going to be very mindful of it.
freiamaya
Posted 2009-11-03 10:35 AM (#119360 - in reply to #119317)

You're welcome -- it takes a while but soon it becomes second nature. I'm still working on it and need to be mindful to do this every time a pose calls for clasped hands.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)