YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tuck your tailbone
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

yogameansjoy
Posted 2009-10-23 4:43 AM (#119214)
Subject: tuck your tailbone

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering, is it really possible- anatomically I mean- to move only the coccyx, without the whole pelvis moving along with it...
...because I feel that when I tuck my tailbone, the whole pelvis kind of move forward. which is obviously better than "tucking the whole pelvis" - that will only flatten my lower back completely; while tucking the tailbone- after doing the inner spiral - just feels right because it maintains the natural curves of the spine.
I see it's not that the coccyx moves alone, but rather that the movement initiate from it.
What do you guys think of it?
Has anyone experienced moving only the tail-bone, without the whole pelvis??
it's seems very unlikely, because from looking at anatomy muscles chart, it seems we would have to use the anus muscles, and that's not a yoga instruction I heard in any class..

But I have also noticed that many people find this instruction, tuck your tailbone, confusing.

Is this also a common instruction in Iyengar?

Thanks!!! I really appreciate you guys being out there and helping me (for the 2nd time now

All the best!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yogameansjoy
Posted 2009-10-23 8:50 AM (#119216 - in reply to #119214)
Subject: Re: tuck your tailbone

sorry guys, I meant- scoop your tail bone, not tuck.
It's my English...

Posted 2009-10-23 12:46 PM (#119220 - in reply to #119216)

i think it probably is possible to move the coccyx independently, but perhaps it is more useful to look at the muscles doing the moving, as the bone is under their control.
scooping/tucking the tailbone is kind of a catch all instruction given in yoga classes. as most people have overly lordotic lumbar spines and are not lifting their abdominal wall/pelvic floor sufficiently.
however the precise mechanics of pelvic floor action required to interface with the coccyx like you are asking are out of most teacher's areas of expertise, and addressing it in the forum of a traditional yoga class could be...less than popular.
often times, the pelvic tuck instructions will presuppose inner spiral, but leave out the subtlety of the pelvic floor itself.
obviously, you are the only one inside of your body, so you are in the position to know what feels good. do that. but at the same time, develop an inner sensitivity to your patterns and how to slowly move towards optimal alignment.
listen to your teacher, and ask for clarification after class. most teachers are pretty willing to nerd out about these things.
one more one more!
check out this book 'pelvic power'
i read it a few months ago and the ideas, imagery and exercises it presents about the pelvic floor are nothing short of genius.
you'll need a couple miracle ball method balls to get the benefits out of it, but uh....
well worth it
good luck

Posted 2009-10-23 12:59 PM (#119221 - in reply to #119216)

Many people say "tuck your tailbone" or "scoop your tailbone". I believe that they are referring to a pelvic and lower back movement and not a literal tailbone movement, although it feels as though you are tucking your tailbone. This can be overdone as there should be a curvature of the lower back (but not an exaggerated one). The movement is meant to extend the lower back and reposition the pelvis, resulting in better posture and a more open, extended lower spine. A similar direction is to try to bring your pubic bone and navel closer together. Most directions need to be used at the appropriate time for the appropriate person. If you have exaggerated lordosis of the lumbar spine (sway back), this is a very important direction. If, on the other hand, your lower back is too straight in the first place, this is exactly the opposite direction that should be given.

This is why there is always a problem with teachers who are simply repeating a set of instructions or phrases that they have learned without a complete understanding of the what, why and when of those instructions. General instructions may be appropriate for many people, but as a yoga student, you have the right to expect (assuming that you are paying for the instruction) that the instructions will be beneficial for you and your unique body and the instructor sees and knows the difference.
yogameansjoy
Posted 2009-10-23 1:15 PM (#119224 - in reply to #119214)

Thanks guys!!!
that was very helpful.
Ill get the book

All the best!
KatrinaAriel
Posted 2009-10-30 6:09 PM (#119300 - in reply to #119214)

The action of the tail bone is often elusive to people. Sometimes it's actually helpful to put your finger at the tip of the coccyx and pressing down against it. Yes I know how silly this looks, but it's quite effective in learning to move the tail bone against the resistance created by your finger.

From the alignment approach of Anusara® yoga, moving the tail bone isn't independent of the pelvis, but it is important to realize that the principle of alignment that the tail bone scoop is a part of is initiated from the back body.

Though the pubic bone does raise very slightly and the lower belly tones, if Outer Spiral (the alignment principle being discussed here) is initiated from the front body or as a pelvic tilt it is ineffective and hardens the pose. It actually begins in the back body, and the main initiating action is scooping the tail bone.

Part of the reason for this is that the muscle that moves the coccyx, levator ani, is small and less likely to overpower the widening action of Inner Spiral, which is generally understood as keeping the thighs back. If you do Outer Spiral before Inner Spiral, you loose the natural curves of the spine and can move into higher risk of injury. However, by keeping the thighs back and then scooping the tail bone (rather than tilting the pelvis or pressing the navel toward the spine) balanced action and optimal alignment can be found allowing you to enjoy the fullest expression of the pose.

Hope that helps!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)