YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weight Loss isn't Happening
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Posted 2009-12-23 12:28 PM (#120167 - in reply to #118994)
Subject: Re: Weight Loss isn't Happening

I don't want to draw hasty conclusions based on the relatively small sampling of people I've seen at my studio. Nor do I like to compare body types or set appearance goals. But I will say that I have noticed that the men who practice at the studio seem to be a bit more overweight than the women. There are likely many factors that play into this, but this was the exact opposite at the Ashtanga studios I went to. There, the men were super-fit and the women more "normal" in body type.

Once again, I hate generalizing like this and know there are probably lots of factors in play here, but I thought the observation was worth mentioning.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-12-23 3:36 PM (#120169 - in reply to #120167)

Although yoga (asana) is not a weight loss system, it can be an integral part of a weight loss program that includes restricted calorie intake and exercise. The more athletic forms of yoga do burn calories, but are probably more useful in developing internal balance that makes good eating and exercise a way of life rather than a short term plan to lose a couple pounds. To lose weight and keep it off long term, you must change your life-style long term. Yoga practice can be an excellent tool in that new life-style.

If you want to lose weight, a combination of restricted calorie intake (especially small frequent snacks of healthy foods instead of big meals), lifting weights and aerobic exercise are great. If you want to keep it off, yoga is great. Yoga also helps in releasing mental and physical tension that leads to excess eating in many individuals.

gogirl58
Posted 2009-12-24 1:15 AM (#120172 - in reply to #120128)

Extreme Veteran

Can you share this weight lifting routine?
Ram
Posted 2009-12-26 11:25 AM (#120224 - in reply to #120172)

gogirl58 - 2009-12-24 1:15 AM

Can you share this weight lifting routine?

Not sure if you were referring to my routine but you can find it by googling "chris chelios workout". A Sports illustrated article has pictures and descriptions of the workout. It's not for the faint of heart though!
fernmanus
Posted 2010-01-21 12:12 AM (#120871 - in reply to #118994)
Subject: RE: Weight Loss isn't Happening

I suggest that rather than looking for a particular weight goal that you make peace with your body through yoga. An excellent book on this subject is "Yoga from the Inside Out" by Christina Sell. Christina Sell is a Anusara Yoga guru, but the concepts in the book apply to everyone that practices yoga. I highly recommend it.

kieranee
Posted 2010-01-30 3:08 AM (#121110 - in reply to #118994)

Any luck yet? Maybe you can do both yoga and some other forms of exercise. It's a great way to compliment your workouts.

amyf
Posted 2010-02-15 9:41 AM (#121514 - in reply to #118994)

Veteran

i know for me I need to do a well rounded routine that includes all cardio weights and of course my yoga to feel my best
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)