YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fixed firm (Supta - Vajrasana )
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

kneed
Posted 2009-10-06 5:38 AM (#118921)
Subject: fixed firm (Supta - Vajrasana )

Where I practice, it basically is grand central with all of the teachers coming through for a couple of months. There are also the ones who are permanent.

Due to a recent torn medial miniscus in my knee, I am wondering whether or not my fixed firm has been done correctly. Due to thick thighs I seperate my knees when lying back. My question is that the TOP of my knees have NOT been touching the ground. Is this normal. Since none of the teachers (at least - thirty) that i have been practicing with (some of the classes have been quite small - others jammed-packed).

Is the top of the knee supposed to be touching the floor?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
huishan
Posted 2009-10-06 10:03 AM (#118923 - in reply to #118921)
Subject: RE: fixed firm (Supta - Vajrasana )

i aint no pro, but the knees should always be touching the ground, thats what my instructor always say. i dont have any knee problems though, so i always go all the way down.

the rule is always to make sure your knees touch the floor as you go down, as require, separate your knees if you have to. but i guess in your case you have to take extra care not to go down too much. fixed firm pose works a lot on the knees.

speak to your teachers, let them, know, hope it helps.

Posted 2009-10-06 1:16 PM (#118924 - in reply to #118921)
Subject: Re: fixed firm (Supta - Vajrasana )

Yeah, I know what you mean about the busy studio with the ever-rotating teachers, but they ARE still there to help you! Just go in and grab one of them sometime, before or after class, and have them check out your posture. Don't be shy. This one seems so subjective to me, you REALLY need someone who can SEE you!
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-10-06 6:01 PM (#118929 - in reply to #118921)

Agree with dancingj that there's nothing like having someone watch you do this. Having said that, I've seen many, many people do this pose wrong class after class without ever getting a specific correction. So, absolutely, insist that a teacher you like pay some attention to you during this pose.

The general principal is knees on the floor at all times. I've been told to start with my knees together in Japanese sitting position, and then to let them drift apart as they need to while I am going back and perhaps down. I think this is better than starting with them apart because it allows the knees to choose their own level of difficulty, and that changes from day to day.
byd
Posted 2009-10-06 6:26 PM (#118930 - in reply to #118921)
Subject: RE: fixed firm (Supta - Vajrasana )

As already suggested, this kind of question is really difficult to answer without actually seeing you in the posture. Not only would seeing you help, but also knowing exactly what you mean by "top of the knee". That's not how I would describe the part of the knee which should stay in contact with the floor. I would say the opposite, in fact. It is the bottom part of the knee -- the part just below the patella, which is the top of the femur. The patella, or front of the knee," would be facing the mirrors.

Kinda tricky to describe, eh?
kneed
Posted 2009-10-08 4:09 AM (#118971 - in reply to #118921)

Thanks to all for your responses. i have asked a seemingly plethora of instructors and all but one have said that it's fine. However, lately - it doesn't make much of a difference cause i can't even put my hips down touching the floor no matter how far my knees are out. Tommorrow is another day!
dcellere
Posted 2009-10-08 9:02 PM (#118985 - in reply to #118921)

Just be careful of your knees!! I agree with byd as far as the location of the knees that are on the floor. Before you do anything, your hips should touch the floor. If your hips aren't touching the floor, open your knees as wide as you need to, BUT make sure knees stay on the floor, too! The knees do tend to come up off the floor as you go back, which is normal. The struggle comes in when you use the tops of your thigh strength to push the needs down toward the floor. ANY major pain you have though... just be careful!!! You want to HEAL your scar tissue, not create it!!!

Posted 2009-10-08 10:37 PM (#118987 - in reply to #118921)

i don't practice bikram yoga, but i have strong feelings about the placement of the leg in this pose.
upon lining up to do this pose, consider the angle of the shin bone (tibia) and the ridge of the big toe.
when you set yourself down, the shin bone should be like your rails. come directly on top of the shinbones, and see that the feet point directly backwards.
from there, place the crown of your head on the ground for support, and use your hands to spread the calf muscles directly backwards. really dig your fingers into the back of the knee, and spread as much of it backwards as you can.
hold the muscle in this position, and begin to sit onto/in between your calves.
not so important how far you go down, as is the integrity and stability of the feet and shins.
it may be necessary to sit on an elevated platform (yoga block, stack of books, etc...), but over time, the proper elasticity will develop.
i realize that this is not the way the pose is practiced in bikram yoga, but if you are truly interested in developing your body in the way, it is in your best interest to try this outside of class a few times.
xoxox
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)