YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

everybody - most detested pose - just sharing!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

huishan
Posted 2009-11-04 2:19 AM (#119373 - in reply to #118904)
Subject: RE: everybody - most detested pose - just sharing!

yeah. triangle meant to be slippery. i heard that my studio's carpet was specially chosen. and the instructors specifically want this carpet. why? cos less friction, forces us to really grab the bloody carpet with our thigh!!!!! ahhh!!!!

my new hated pose - half moon. its really not easy to lift up those chests.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ferret
Posted 2009-11-05 7:45 PM (#119384 - in reply to #118904)
Subject: Re: everybody - most detested pose - just sharing!

Okay, check out Dorothy here and no more complaining about the "slippery" carpeting! LOL.

http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/2008/06/dorothy-hamill.html

I am finally starting to "get" Triangle and have not had any foot slippage since then. You need to get your thigh down parallel and PUSH the hips forward, twist the spine--basically do what the darn dialogue says. If your butt is sticking out, all of the weight is on your thigh and your feet will start grabbing the floor for support. If you bring your butt in, then it all works like it's supposed to and your only problem is the searing pain of your hip being ripped out of its socket. Enjoy!

Ferret
crasey2000
Posted 2009-11-05 8:56 PM (#119385 - in reply to #118904)

Ha carpet, what carpet. Our studio has weird plasticy/slippery stuff. Bonus is that it doesnt smell, which is great.

hmmm ferret - good tip. That must be what I do on my left side, have my butt out too far. Right side = hips pinching, left side = slippery and weight in thigh. Had asked teacher what was doing wrong cause it didn't right but he checked out posture on my 'good' side. always the way

hmmmm wonder why we have good & bad sides (when have no injuries to overcome), wonder if true or just some kind of psychological block.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-11-06 5:05 PM (#119387 - in reply to #118904)

Not sure what the reason is, but I doubt its simply a psychological block. Right handedness and left handedness seem to be pretty natural to people. Forcing left handed people to use the right hand as dominant hand has had some pretty bad results, from what I remember. And there are also interesting variations on the dominance. In baseball, the best hitters have a dominant eye that is opposite to their strong hand. Thus, although its pretty uncommon in the population, its fairly common for a good baseball right handed hitter to have a left dominant eye.
crasey2000
Posted 2009-11-08 6:24 PM (#119395 - in reply to #118904)

It is interesting - the human body is fascinating.
Not sure what the role of dominant handedness plays, particularly as my good side alternate depending on the postures and have changed back and forth over the course of my practice. If it was consistent then absolutely I would think that it is a natural strength/weakness depending on the side and related to dominance. But with it changing it makes me wonder.
And according to the girls in the yoga change room the same also happens to them - so am not the only one it happens to.

On different note, pulled hips forward on left side of triangle and had some success. yay
jtho
Posted 2009-11-09 2:31 AM (#119402 - in reply to #118904)

When it comes to one hip being more open than the other, I usually relate this to one of two things. First, is driving, particularly for people who drive standard. The left hip tends to be more tight. Second, is for people who sit at desks for their jobs. Most people tend to sit most of their day the same way - either always crossing one leg over another, resting one ankle on the other knee, slouching into one side, sitting on a foot crossed under the hip. I think when we have this kind of a habit, we end up tightening our hips on one side.

One of my teachers also once told us a story of a guy that always kept his wallet in his back pocket, always on the same side. Whenever he sat down, one side of his butt was higher than the other. His body ended up kind of shaped this way - sitting in Awkward, he had one hip up, as though he was sitting on his wallet on one side. I think they told us the story because the guy worked it out eventually, between Bikram yoga and carrying his wallet in a coat pocket instead. ;)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)