YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

everybody - most detested pose - just sharing!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

huishan
Posted 2009-10-05 11:09 AM (#118904)
Subject: everybody - most detested pose - just sharing!

hello everybody again! i believe everyone started out detesting a certain posture, managed to get around with it with time, but some still end up detesting certain posture!

so lets just share! any detested posture? (we all know bikram is good, so we always get around doing them though we dont like the posture.

for me, i hate the triangle, and sometimes and the camel posture. for the triangle, i just dont have enough leg strength, and my instructors will be like "shan, you can do it" but i always give up 10 s or lesser into the posture. but i know its the master of all posture. and camel is really good in training the backward bends, so yeah.

lets share!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
carlx
Posted 2009-10-05 11:46 AM (#118905 - in reply to #118904)
Subject: Re: everybody - most detested pose - just sharing!

Regular

Dandayamana janushirasana by far. I lock my knee, roll forward and down to grab my foot, and my hips start to rotate outward, taking my torso with them. When I focus enough and have the strength to keep my hips inward it feels like my hamstring and pulling too far and my weight is not distributed on my feet in such a way that makes it possible for me to stay rolled forward holding my foot without falling over. Drives me nuts since it sort of keeps me in limbo with the posture.

jtho
Posted 2009-10-05 3:03 PM (#118906 - in reply to #118904)

Mine was floor bow for the first year and a half of my practice, and as of 2 weeks ago, I like it now (because I figured out how to do it - isn't that always the way!). So my new most hated pose is probably actually Half Moon sidebends right now - which were my favourite for a long time, but I suddenly feel like I can't get anything in line in this posture.

Huishan - you really will get better with triangle! I used to have the same problem, not enough leg strength, but through a lot of determination, I've built it up, and now I actually like the triangle. Think about squeezing your thigh muscles as hard as you can, as though your feet were on ice and sliding apart, and you had to squeeze them back together to stay up. And get down lower into the hips, too - I know it seems easier to stay up higher, but really, once you get down more, you build the strength faster. Good luck!
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-10-05 3:32 PM (#118907 - in reply to #118904)

Locust. Not because of the elbows. It's just hard, and it plays hell with reflux problems about half the time. So every time I start into locust, I wonder whether I'm gonna get another visit from some of my lunch.

For Triangle, I would think about really getting the lunge part of the set-up right. Most people I see don't come anywhere near having a right angle with the forward leg. The thigh is not close to parallel with the floor. It's counter-intuitive, but once you can get to that position, the pose becomes much easier. Warrior 2 is basically the set-up for Triangle, and its something you can do outside of class.
crasey2000
Posted 2009-10-05 6:20 PM (#118910 - in reply to #118904)

I go through phases of disliking postures or struggling immensely with them. There was the time that I spent about 6 months convinced that I couldn’t do Camel unless the fan was on and there was cool air circulating, luckily I’ve gotten over that one and am enjoying it now.

I’m currently struggling with first part of awkward and triangle (triangle is my nemesis!). Hips are tight and pinch, I struggle to get down low enough in both, keep my stomach sucked in and then to top it off my thighs start quivering and the sweat starts pouring! All in all, both postures are a big challenge for me at the moment.

My yoga practice is very much a two step forward one step backwards kind of thing. Guess that is one of the things that keeps me coming back for more, enough changes to tell me I am improving and enough frustrations/struggles to keep me challenged. That and the big grin that erupts spontaneously when I manage to hold standing bow for the full minute without falling out.
ferret
Posted 2009-10-05 9:17 PM (#118912 - in reply to #118904)

I don't detest Triangle, but it is not one that is very satisfying to me. I, too, lack the leg strength to get properly into this posture. I kind of hate it when people say that all you need is determination or you need to get down into it or whatever. I don't have the strength. It's not a matter of determination. Muscle is not made out of determination. It's made out of pain and protein. I can get my thigh parallel for like 1 or 2 seconds, then the muscles fail and I will literally fall on the floor if I don't stand up first.

Toe stand is also not very fun for me, because I can't even do it. I was working on it for a while, falling out each time, but then it seemed like I lost some flexibility in my hamstrings, and now I can't even lock the standing leg. *sigh*

Ferret
joysweat
Posted 2009-10-05 11:22 PM (#118914 - in reply to #118904)

toe stand = torture me.
layx4
Posted 2009-10-05 11:28 PM (#118915 - in reply to #118904)
Subject: RE: everybody - most detested pose - just sharing!

Eagle! I just can't seem to get all my limbs wrapped tight enough and end up falling out....and "Sit down more" doesn't seem to work.
huishan
Posted 2009-10-06 4:44 AM (#118916 - in reply to #118904)

lol! funny replies. really different body works differently!

layx4 - but its true, sitting down more helps to create more space to wrap your feet around if you couldnt. thats what i just realised too!

i know.. im badly warned by one of the instructor to really do my triangle, and get serious about it. no escape this time round! but one of my fellow yogi has been telling me to get the alignment correct first, then i will find triangle easy. they always say to get the spine straight, but i really find it so hard! im always collapsing.

im glad that we get to hear different posture does different things for everybody! funny huh the human anatomy!
thepower
Posted 2009-10-07 8:44 AM (#118947 - in reply to #118904)

Wow, where is the triangle love? Im going to start a campaign to bring love back to the triangle.. My favorite pose....

Non favorite pose for me is eagle, standing head to knee, thick quads do not likee those poses very much
huishan
Posted 2009-10-07 9:46 AM (#118949 - in reply to #118904)

hahah! flexible people - hate triangle pose. strong ppl - hate twisting postures!

Posted 2009-10-07 3:17 PM (#118956 - in reply to #118904)

I love triangle, too, and I am in the "flexy" camp for sure. My fellow flexies... yes, it hurts like heck at first, but you can learn to love it!! Once you get a little stronger and you figure out the TECHNIQUE, this posture actually gets a whole lot easier. I think the trick is to use your WHOLE body. Listen to the whole dialogue and TRY it, even if you don't think it's gonna work yet. Don't just rely on a couple big muscles, like the ones in your thighs. If you stretch your arms apart like crazy and REALLY try to touch the ceiling, it becomes a lot less work for the legs! I feel like I could stay in it for days now...

My biggest frustration this year has been standing bow pose. Go figure!! I just flop all over the place some days. Also balancing stick, because I STILL have trouble feeling the correct placement and finding the perfect T (not too high, not too low), and standing separate leg head to knee, which has just NEVER been comfortable.
ferret
Posted 2009-10-15 10:41 AM (#119121 - in reply to #118904)

I just wanted to report that I did get down into proper position in Triangle on my left side yesterday, and, remembering this thread, focused on lifting and twisting with my body--I did feel how the pose is easier when done properly. I was unable to stay in position for long, but excited to be making progress! (But I still don't love Triangle.)

Standing bow drives me nuts, too. It seems like for every class where I am able to hold the pose and keep my balance and get my leg up to my maximum, I must endure ten classes where I am falling out constantly.

Ferret
jtho
Posted 2009-10-15 2:00 PM (#119125 - in reply to #118904)

Ferret, congratulations! You might not have been able to hold it very long this time, but slowly you'll be able to do it a second longer, another second longer, and then the whole time! I have gone through this myself, and I am very excited for you bc I know how great you'll feel the first time you make it through the whole thing!

Also, I have done more than 200 classes now and have never held standing bow, if it makes you feel any better. ;)

Posted 2009-10-16 9:10 PM (#119153 - in reply to #118904)

I'm with the standing-bow haters. It's the most beautiful posture, and when I can stay in it for the duration I am so proud of myself. Mostly, though, I fall out all the time and beat myself up for it.

I have a tough time during the first two postures because my feet hurt so much. Anyone else have this problem? Once I get into Eagle, I'm good, because the one foot gets a rest. But half-moon and awkward are hella painful on the feet. Maybe I have some arch issues? I don't wear heels, that's for sure, but maybe my shoes aren't that great either.
ferret
Posted 2009-10-16 10:12 PM (#119154 - in reply to #118904)

I had a weird foot pain in awkward pose for months. It's better now, but my feet are still wimpy.

Ferret

Posted 2009-10-16 10:21 PM (#119155 - in reply to #118904)

Cool. I look forward to strengthening esos pies!
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-10-18 7:42 PM (#119164 - in reply to #119155)

Veteran

I used to love triangle but now I am doing it on the carpet instead of my towel, my thighs are re-learning this posture all over and I really dread it.
I used to HATE janu sirsasana but slowly I am now able to lock my knees when bending over and that is really awesome and I look forward to it- I never would have believed that!

Posted 2009-10-18 8:00 PM (#119165 - in reply to #118904)

No turning the towels in Vegas, huh?! Maybe if enough visitors come you guys will get packed in like sardine and then you can stand on your neighbor's towel... ;-)

Yay! Exhale breathing, touch your face, and lock the knees... last chance, lock the knees, lock the knees, lock the knees!
freiamaya
Posted 2009-10-23 9:41 PM (#119228 - in reply to #118904)

locust locust locust a million times. Big busted girls like me can't physically get our shoulders on the floor and can't "push off" them. I can handle the elbow thing because I can WORK on that. But short of getting a breast reduction, I'm pooched in this pose.
standing head to knee...STILL trying to get into the 1st part of this pose. Hey, it's only been 8 MONTHS now. And when I read the Bikram book, he says "in a few weeks, you'll be doing the pose"...HA! As IF!!!!
Arghhh...it HAS to get better soon with effort, no? I go 5 times a week, too...
Sigh
amyf
Posted 2009-10-24 9:02 AM (#119234 - in reply to #118904)

Veteran

my hated pose is always changing!!!! its funny actually that what was easy once is now HARD and visa versa. but for me right now I would say triangle (on my right side because my broken right hip made my muscles on that side much weaker and I need to regain strength) and cobra.
Jar
Posted 2009-10-24 2:01 PM (#119235 - in reply to #118904)

Regular

Pretty much everything that was hard I now find easy, and everything I used to think was easy is now hard once I applied proper form.

Balancing poses are still hard, I can get my forehead to knee but fall over 50% of the time. Triangle that I used to ask the instructors for how I could do a correction due to my hip injury, I now find easy and can almost rest in triangle. The cobra/locust section is probably the ones I hate the most. Although most times I fond something easy, I find a few corrections that return it to a hated one

Angelica
Posted 2009-11-02 7:52 PM (#119346 - in reply to #118904)

Mine is currently the third part of fixed firm - can't remember the name - at the end where you have to come up again slowly without leaning forward, backs straight, holding that dime between the knees. I simply cannot get my brain to connect with whatever muscles I should be using to come up again slowly. It used to be Cobra because I couldn't roll forward onto the shoulders and figure out which back muscles to use - but now I can and I LOVE Cobra!!!
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-11-02 8:45 PM (#119350 - in reply to #118904)

That's awkward pose, not fixed firm.
bikramlover
Posted 2009-11-03 6:32 AM (#119355 - in reply to #118904)

I loved triangle but I keep slipping when I am on the carpet at this studio- that posture was challenging today. And eagle I never seem to be able to get wrists to fully swing around to get a really good grip - but I suspect that may be due to tight shoulders.... am working on shoulder stretching.

Edited by bikramlover 2009-11-03 6:33 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)