YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

posture
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

vibes
Posted 2009-09-25 6:23 PM (#118663)
Subject: posture

Extreme Veteran

What is the Bikram yogis view on good posture?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-09-25 6:26 PM (#118665 - in reply to #118663)
Subject: Re: posture

Bikram yoga gives you better posture. This is good.

(9 word question, 9 word answer. Feels like haiku.)
vibes
Posted 2009-09-29 4:38 AM (#118736 - in reply to #118663)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for that! But that doesnt answer my question. A bit like saying going to the toilet gives you better posture.This is good. I am not comparing Bikram yoga to going to the toilet by the way.
huishan
Posted 2009-09-29 7:55 AM (#118739 - in reply to #118663)

i guess good postures is more like a by-product in bikram class? at least to me. because if i do what im being told, "lock your knees", "turn my hips", "push my hips" etc in postures, i basically get into the effective posture for the body? if that is what you mean by good postures?
lockdaknee
Posted 2009-09-30 11:02 AM (#118778 - in reply to #118663)

Regular

I'm all for it.

Posted 2009-09-30 8:40 PM (#118800 - in reply to #118736)

vibes - 2009-09-29 1:38 AM

Thanks for that! But that doesnt answer my question. A bit like saying going to the toilet gives you better posture.This is good. I am not comparing Bikram yoga to going to the toilet by the way.

Heh.

I gave you kind of a silly answer because I really could not tell what you were trying to ask. Can you expand your question a bit, or be more specific?
vibes
Posted 2009-10-06 6:29 PM (#118932 - in reply to #118663)

Extreme Veteran

What does a bikramyogi believe good posture is?

Posted 2009-10-06 6:36 PM (#118935 - in reply to #118932)

vibes - 2009-10-06 5:29 PM

I can't stand it! The answer is "Whatever Bikram says it is" Do I win?
byd
Posted 2009-10-06 6:44 PM (#118937 - in reply to #118663)

posture |'päs ch ?r|
noun
a position of a person's body when standing or sitting : he stood in a flamboyant posture with his hands on his hips | good posture will protect your spine.
• Zoology a particular pose adopted by a bird or other animal, interpreted as a signal of a specific pattern of behavior.
• figurative a particular way of dealing with or considering something; an approach or attitude : labor unions adopted a more militant posture in wage negotiations.
• figurative a particular way of behaving that is intended to convey a false impression; a pose : despite pulling back its missiles, the government maintained a defiant posture for home consumption.
verb
1 [ intrans. ] [often as n. ] ( posturing) behave in a way that is intended to impress or mislead others : a masking of fear with macho posturing.
• [ trans. ] adopt (a certain attitude) so as to impress or mislead : the companies may posture regret, but they have a vested interest in increasing Third World sales.
2 [ trans. ] archaic place (someone) in a particular attitude or pose : and still these two were postured motionless.
DERIVATIVES
postural adjective
posturer noun
ORIGIN late 16th cent. (denoting the relative position of one thing to another): from French, from Italian postura, from Latin positura ‘position,’ from posit- ‘placed,’ from the verb ponere.

(submitted by a Bikram Yogi)

Posted 2009-10-06 6:48 PM (#118939 - in reply to #118935)

Bruce - 2009-10-06 3:36 PM

vibes - 2009-10-06 5:29 PM

I can't stand it! The answer is "Whatever Bikram says it is" Do I win?

LOL! Sure Bruce, why not?

I don't think there's really a "bikram yoga" view on posture that's different from what you'd learn in any other yoga or exercise system. You just want to end up with everything mechanically balanced and aligned.

The closest to an instruction on "posture" that we usually hear in class is to "continuously stretch your spine up to the ceiling, like natural human traction." That's repeated in a lot of the postures where the spine is straight. (And by the way, a "straight spine" in Bikram yoga is described as "hips and head touching the wall behind you," but the three natural curves of the spine are still intact.) But I mean, good posture is good posture. A lot of people come into yoga all hunched over and end up straightening up quite a bit, and I've seen it help with scoliosis, too. But that's not unique to Bikram.

Am I getting there?

~~

EDITED TO ADD: byd, we just posted our answers at the same time, but yours is awfully cute. You might have to duke it out with Bruce for first place now.

Edited by thedancingj 2009-10-06 6:50 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)