YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Music during meditation?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

brayanSg
Posted 2009-09-22 10:36 AM (#118549)
Subject: Music during meditation?

Veteran

Hello, I love listening to classical music, which is light and relaxing, when I do my daily yoga practice. I actually love to listen to Sitar music during this time that helps me to concentrate completely. Has anyone else tried this during meditation practice or anyone has any idea about listening of music during meditation? Does it help in meditation?
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-09-22 12:33 PM (#118555 - in reply to #118549)
Subject: RE: Music during meditation?

Extreme Veteran

Namaste brayanaSg!
As we had a talk in other post that I personally don’t like any music during my practice as it distracts my mind. However, you find it relaxes and more focus on whatever you are doing right. So you go ahead with it. I never discourage people, who find it helpful to concentrate on there yoga practice. We have many ways to concentrate during Meditation.
Thanks for sharing
brayanSg
Posted 2009-09-24 10:55 PM (#118625 - in reply to #118555)

Veteran

Namaste,
Thank you yogacharya tonmoy for your advice. So I can continue my meditation if I find it relaxes and more focus on what I am doing. Thank you
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-09-25 11:49 AM (#118643 - in reply to #118625)

Extreme Veteran

Yes brayan, you can.
I wish you all the best
brayanSg
Posted 2009-09-30 7:07 PM (#118796 - in reply to #118643)

Veteran

How to learn meditation? like as you said "We have many ways to concentrate in meditation" - so what are the ways? Is that possible to guide this way here?

Thanks

Edited by brayanSg 2009-09-30 7:08 PM
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-10-01 10:16 AM (#118810 - in reply to #118796)

Extreme Veteran

You need a teacher brayan to learn meditation. I hope you can find a teacher in Singapore. There are many qualified teachers and yoga studios around. Best wishes to you..
kristi
Posted 2009-10-03 2:50 AM (#118859 - in reply to #118549)

Veteran

Please allow me to turn things around a bit and suggest: instead of listening to music while meditating, to just try to produce it yourself, by chanting the aum, listening to your own aum-sound and observing what is happening inside you.
It is the simplest kind of meditation, but when done regularly and with awareness, I think it may even become the highest of the meditations. Certainly the savviest one, when done without any guidance.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-10-03 9:59 AM (#118860 - in reply to #118859)

Extreme Veteran

Brayan, Kristi is right - "chanting the aum, listening to your own aum-sound and observing what is happening inside you."
This is a nice and very effective way of Meditation. Please try to follow this..
Thank you Kristi
Sutemi
Posted 2009-12-27 3:20 AM (#120244 - in reply to #118549)
Subject: Re: Music during meditation?

Hi ya brayanaSg, I would say that it depends on how deep you wish to go if you are enjoying the music while you practice fine, it may not have a negative effect, but if you want to go into deep meditation it will distract you and if you are partially focused on external sounds how will you hear the Inner Sound/s? As the mystic Kabir said, ’I relish and enjoy the un-struck 'Anahat Shabad ‘. This sound/music will be come apparent to you as you move forward in your practice, during/after I practice my daily 1hour meditation the Unstruck sound manifests, it is always with us but like a clock ticking in a noisy room we cant hear it, only when we make the room quiet can we hear the clock. Listening to this inner sound is a beautiful experience and when its intensity increases one becomes aware that it emanates from the inner state of Peace. The Light and Shabad and Supreme Peace are all one.
Sydney
Posted 2010-01-28 11:42 AM (#121055 - in reply to #118549)

I don't use music during meditation because I like the tranquility of quietness. Now with yoga I certainly enjoy music. You might want to check out http://www.horsesfeathers.com it has some good suggestions.

Edited by Sydney 2010-01-28 11:43 AM
Meditation & Unity
Posted 2010-05-25 3:03 AM (#123111 - in reply to #118549)
Subject: Re: Music during meditation?

Listening to classical Music or Chanting or following any other technique while Meditation helps to concentrate more. It surely depends on person to person what technique they like to adopt. As per my observation new comers are taking help of these techniques as it is difficult to concentrate at your own if you are new to Meditation.

I met my Meditation Guru-Unity at Singapore during Yoga and Meditation conference, he is having many students in Singapore, and you can get more information about him at nearby Meditation Centers.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)