YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram's Book
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Alex33
Posted 2009-09-17 10:41 PM (#118427)
Subject: Bikram's Book

Just wondered what people's opinions are of the book?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-09-17 11:02 PM (#118428 - in reply to #118427)
Subject: Re: Bikram's Book

There are two. Do you mean the blue paperback, or the newer orange hardcover?
Roy Batty
Posted 2009-09-18 3:21 PM (#118439 - in reply to #118427)

Regular

There are three. The original red book from the 70's I believe.

Posted 2009-09-18 3:42 PM (#118440 - in reply to #118428)

it's entertaining

Posted 2009-09-18 8:38 PM (#118448 - in reply to #118427)

I own and enjoy all three! (Though I loaned my blue book to someone last winter and haven't seen it since... hmmm....) The red and blue books are mostly the same, and will give you a lot of information on the postures. They're funny, chatty, readable, and helpful in understanding the 26 and 2. The newer orange book gives the background on Bikram's life and the larger yoga system. It's not good for learning about the postures, but it's great for storytelling and yoga philosophy. It explains how the class came to be, and what "Bikram's beginning Hatha yoga class" has to do with Yoga as a whole.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-09-19 12:15 AM (#118455 - in reply to #118427)

I've got the Blue Book. I really liked the interludes between the pose descriptions. Some of it was hilarious, and there are some good tips/insights there as well. I also like the pictures in it, but with a bit more knowledge, I would now advise people to take the pictures with a grain of salt.

The best example is the cover picture. It's Bikram and his wife in Triangle. I would get corrected in class if I took the set-up that Bikram is using: his front knee is forward of his toes, instead of in a line with his ankle, perpendicular to the floor.

If you look at the finished versions of Standing Head to Knee, not one person has any connection between head and knee. Instead, it ooks like a standing head to shin pose. These are quibbles, and don't take much away from the value of the text. And the examples of what "normal" people are likely to look like in the poses are very nice to have.
Alex33
Posted 2009-09-21 2:13 AM (#118517 - in reply to #118427)

I didnt even realise there were different versions of his book. Ive got the orange hard copy one. I think he must have a huge ego, but then I guess he probably deserves to have one
I thought the description of his father's death was very touching as well, but the bit about curing cancer ......hmmmm, I think because I worked for a long time in neuro oncology I am a bit unsure of those sort of claims.
byd
Posted 2009-09-30 12:34 AM (#118770 - in reply to #118427)

The red book and blue book are different editions but, except for the photos, almost identical. These books are better for posture instructions and tips. The newer, yellow, book has more information about the background and philosophy of Bikram Yoga and less specific info about postures, including some poorly executed posture photos. They both have value but I usually recommend the earlier book (blue) for new students and the newer book (yellow) for lifers.
yogigun
Posted 2009-09-30 10:18 AM (#118777 - in reply to #118770)

just out of interest - why does Bikram use different terminology from the rest of Hatha Yoga? For example 'pawanmuktasana' is to most yogis 'joint-freeing', yet bikramites use it to refer 'wind relieving' pose (i.e. 'apanasana')
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)