YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Camel Correction
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

crasey2000
Posted 2009-09-17 8:18 PM (#118423)
Subject: Camel Correction

Hi All

This week I had a correction in camel that made me curious. The teacher had me move my hands from my heels to the arches of my feet. I am a regular with a pretty solid practice (+ 3 years) and the teacher knows me and my capabilities well.

I just thought this was an interesting correction and wondered if anyone else has had this correction. It certainly made my back arch more and opened up my chest a lot so I am presuming this is the logic behind the correction??

The teacher has recently attended a seminar run by Lynn Whitlow (in New Zealand), so am also wondering if this is one of Bikram’s ongoing tweaks of the series?

Thoughts/Comments??

Cheers
Crasey2000
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-09-17 8:31 PM (#118424 - in reply to #118423)
Subject: Re: Camel Correction

I've gotten that adjustment too (and that is where I have been keeping my grip for the last year or so.) And it is the same for me - it lets me grip a little better and helps me to really lift my chest up. I think it is definitely a tweak for the more experienced/flexible students. For most people, grabbing the heels is enough.

Posted 2009-09-19 5:58 PM (#118465 - in reply to #118423)

right. it's sort of an 'advancement' of the posture.

i have a separate question that folk's may want to weigh in on. it's about "alignment families."

now, in my "alignment family" (krishnamacharya), we keep the knees hip distance apart, the inner thighs moving inward and back (rotating thus), and then we lift up and back.

what i commonly see from the other family (gosh, sivananda, classical, whatever ya want to call it), is that the knees can come apart as far as one wants and it doesn't matter.

now, with sri dharma mittra (sivananda), there are a lot of backbends where the knees are purposefully moving apart, and where the alignment seems to be more like krishnamacharya but then he might say "oh, let that go a bit and see what happens!" and then when i ask him about it after class he says "new directions sometimes help with old alignment." essentially, i see the idea being that by focusing so hard on that alignment, i might have gotten "stuck" so i loosen it a bit (letting knees come apart for example), and then i can get into a part of my back that i might not have before, and then i can get to that point and try to align the knees back to the right place.

does that make any sense?

anyway, that's the way i see it, and to an extent the way i teach it (with my experienced students, not newbies), but i was wondering if the alignment in camel, cobra, bridge upward bow, and related where the knees are generally kept in hip-distance apart alignment, is the same for "your" family, or if it's less relevant, more like dharma, or if the alignment is just different?

anyway yeah. camel is so good. my back is finally opening up again. feels so great!

Posted 2009-09-19 8:58 PM (#118472 - in reply to #118423)

Hey Zoe! So your question is basically about the width of the knees in our backbends? I think we're pretty similar to you guys. For camel, the knees start about 6 to 8 inches apart (i.e. hip width distance). For the second set, we can open them up a little wider to get into a "deeper" backbend, though that really just lets you use your hips more to go back farther. Personally, since I have a bendy lower back already, I keep my knees at 6 inches maximum in camel so that I can get into my upper back more. For bow (which I guess is the one that you call upward bow?), knees are definitely supposed to stay hip width distance apart, but most people's knees (including mine... sadly...) end up spreading out a bit more because it gets you more height. (Tsk tsk.)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)