YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

60 Day Challenge is a Challenge
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

GoogleYoga
Posted 2009-09-16 11:02 PM (#118415)
Subject: 60 Day Challenge is a Challenge

Hi...

My first post but an avid reader...

I have been practising bikram yoga on and off for about a year...

I'm started a 60 day bikram yoga challenge (6 classes a week for 10 weeks)... I'm practice at 5:30pm each day...

I am into my 4th week... and I feel like I have hit brink wall...

I felt great in the first 3 weeks, but now I feel tired and sore during the day... And my classes this week have not been as fulfilling or effective... My concentration and strength has just deserted me...

I always hydrate properly before and after class...

I am wandering if they any helpful tip in terms of recovery, diet, and motivation that will help me in my quest to complete this challenge.

Thanks in advance...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-09-17 1:57 AM (#118416 - in reply to #118415)
Subject: Re: 60 Day Challenge is a Challenge

Veteran

Well, the unhelpful answer is that if you are committed to finishing you just have to slog thru it. It's just like running a long race- the begin is exciting, then it gets hard, then you are close to the end which feels inspiring and then you finish and you have the achievement.
More helpful ideas maybe- why do you take the same class at 17:30 every day- can you vary that up a bit? Can you buy yourself a new costume just to liven up the ensemble? Treat yourself to something nice like a fresh juice at the end of class?
For me, forgetting about the finish line and just getting thru each class helped. Also not having any expectations, like "I will be able to wrap my toe in eagle by the end of the challenge" because that can be demotivating if it isn't happening.
For general health- make sure you are getting lots of sleep. Replace electrolytes with a sport drink or coconut water every day. Try to minimalize other social outings and parties, etc. during this time. I find a meal with a good bit of protein in it helps before class. (a 3-4 hours before class, not right before!)
And finally- it will get better. Your body will adjust, your strength and concentration will come back. Treat yourself like you are in training, because you are! And enjoy it- there's something special about a challenge, it's a time when you are really focussing on doing something good for yourself and making a commitment and accomplishing it is great too!
Torqued
Posted 2009-09-17 9:40 AM (#118418 - in reply to #118415)

Good advice from yoga-addict.

Once you get "over the hump" it gets easier. I hit the wall around weeks 3-6 and just had to make myself go and get through it.

With my class last night, I'm up to 139 classes in 139 days. I go 7 days a week, but go to a morning class on Sunday and then the latest evening class on Monday to get a "rest day" in.
jtho
Posted 2009-09-17 2:20 PM (#118420 - in reply to #118415)

I haven't done a 60-day, only a 30-day, but I had similar feelings to what you are experiencing now for days 13 - 21 of my challenge. That was also when I had the most pain (low back and quads, esp.) during my challenge.

I think I got myself into a mindset of not thinking about how I had to go, it was just an assumption. Like - I eat lunch every day, but I don't think "oh god, I have to eat lunch again soon, I don't know if I feel like it." It is just a part of my day and I do it without thinking positively or negatively about it. Not sure how to suggest you go about getting into this mindset about yoga, but if you can do it, it will help.

I also stocked up on Emergen-C and coconut water during my challenge. I kept a journal of what was good and bad about each class, any a-ha! moments I had. This helped me to see the benefits and the good things about the challenge even when I was having a hard time or in pain.

You are almost half-way finished now. Be proud of what you have accomplished so far!

Posted 2009-09-17 2:41 PM (#118422 - in reply to #118415)

coconut water, watermelon juice are really great for afterwards.

i agree with yoga addict though. it's just something you have to "slog" through. though, it might be helpful to change which class you're going to.

i love a good day-challenge. but yes, it can be hard to stay committed. i did a month of yoga in the winter (my baby was 3 months old), and it was tough. well, largely because i had no sense of my pelvic floor. i mean, i could feel it, but it didn't work the way that it did before i had the baby. it took a lot of time to get it back on line. LOL but, it was good for me.
GoogleYoga
Posted 2009-09-17 10:11 PM (#118425 - in reply to #118415)

Hi All...

Thanks for the all the helpful replies...

Trust me, I will complete it this challenge, "slog" through it I will...

I go to 5:30 because it is the most convenient time for me.

I'm going try 8am class for the next two weeks coming Monday. Will see how it goes...

I will watch what I eat and drink more carefully... And try I get more sleep...

I keep you all posted on my progress...

Thanks...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)