YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

heat acclimation--you can do it!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

ferret
Posted 2009-09-15 9:43 PM (#118367)
Subject: heat acclimation--you can do it!

When I started Bikram yoga in April, it just about killed me, every time. I struggled more with the heat than anyone else I know of. (Of course, I can't know what is going on inside each person's head.) I have spent massive amounts of time holding the floor down in savasana. One time, I had to run out and puke. Honestly, I really think I am the wimpiest student in the studio.

I am happy to say that at some point four months into my practice, I suddenly felt okay in the heat. I still have tough days--but those are now very diagnostic for me. Always they tell me something is going on with my body that I wouldn't have known until later, such as illness.

It still feels mighty warm, I still sweat, and sometimes I still struggle, but not on the epic scale that I had before. I've been told by others that it can take months to get used to the heat, so I just wanted to say hang in there to everyone who is new and still having a lot of trouble with the heat.

I'm also so thrilled to be making progress in the postures. I can start to kick out in standing head to knee, although it doesn't look graceful. I can do both sets of camel, and even look forward to it, because it is the best posture for the upper back stiffness that I have. I have to go into the posture more quickly than we are told to do. If I stop "halfway," then I start to freak out and find myself coming out. I think this is okay, because I do not have any trouble or pain getting in and out and am able to do a very textbook camel. I got my butt down in fixed firm very suddenly, and have been enjoying that one ever since. And I'm getting the legs up in Locust. I still can't do toe stand, but I enjoy trying it each time I practice. I think the best thing is that whenever I catch myself saying "Oh, no, here's this one again," I can say, "Wait, maybe today will be the day that I can do it!"

All around a very satisfying practice and I'm grateful to be able to enjoy the heat, rather than suffer with it.

Ferret
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jar
Posted 2009-09-16 2:06 AM (#118372 - in reply to #118367)
Subject: Re: heat acclimation--you can do it!

Regular

Woot ! You go gerl .........(assuming your female lol)
Alex33
Posted 2009-09-17 10:38 PM (#118426 - in reply to #118367)
Subject: Re: heat acclimation--you can do it!

Ferrett I love your post. Well done. You make me want to stay on track and not give up. God I laughed about holding the floor down. Sometimes I see myself in the mirror during class and think I am the only one that is looking like Ronald McDonald on valium, thinking I am about to die any minute, and praying that I dont make a scene while Im doing it
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)