YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problems with spine. Is Kundalini dangerous?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

Eldred
Posted 2009-09-14 6:59 PM (#118337)
Subject: Problems with spine. Is Kundalini dangerous?

Aloha
I find kundalini yoga very interesting for me as a way of spiritual groth, but I heard also from my meditation teacher that it might be very danregous. She said it may cause paralysis or some other bad things I don't remember exacly. I have some expirience in Vipassana meditation and with mantra, about 9 months. I have learned something about hatha yoga too, but not much.
About year ago I had accident which damaged my spine, but hopefully it's nothing serious. Now I have some problems with the loin part of the spine. Do you think practicing kundalini yoga is safe for me?
Thanks and Aloha
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-09-20 9:04 AM (#118491 - in reply to #118337)
Subject: RE: Problems with spine. Is Kundalini dangerous?

Extreme Veteran

Namaste!
You need an experienced Kundalini Yoga teacher to guide you practically. Your teacher is right it can be dangerous if you go to do it without guidance. Please don’t go to practice this by reading books. Reading of books is good to increase knowledge. However they cannot give you practical guidance. So find a Guru to start Kundalini yoga.

I wish you all the best
Eldred
Posted 2009-09-28 8:12 PM (#118722 - in reply to #118337)
Subject: Re: Problems with spine. Is Kundalini dangerous?

Thank you. Namaste!
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-10-02 1:06 PM (#118834 - in reply to #118722)

Extreme Veteran

You are welcome Eldred,
Wish you all the best.............
Maharaja Ganj
Posted 2011-03-06 2:58 AM (#202971 - in reply to #118337)

Hi,

We all have to start somewhere, whether that's browsing though a book in the library,or getting one's bhakti, i.e spiritual desire, i.e the desire for something more than this, awakened through going to church or spiritual philosophical self-enqiury or forcing one to attend a hatha yoga class. It is awakening the silent seed that basically wants more out of life, that knows there is more!<br

Yes it can be dangerous. But you they said that about sending a man on the moon.

What you need is a little bit of knowledge. I might be helpful if the whole kundalini thing was demystified a little.It is a neurobiolgical force resident within the human nervous system that can be awakened in the pelvis and rise upward towards the third-eye and sahsarara chakra.

By alll means find an experienced teacher but educate yourself a little and don't fear it.

Hatha yoga
vipassana
& Mantra

You've got the right mix of components.What i have found useful in terms of navigation is to be able to feel the PRANA moving in your system or subtle body. You can do this through meditation in siddhasana or sukhasana etc alternating legs when necessary. You want to develop a subtle awareness of the movement of prana, alot of texts leave this out, then you can discern if your practices are working or not.

A good guide book for awakening the chakras is 'Kundalini Tantra' by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. He died a year ago but he has been hugely influential.He was a student of the great Swami Sivananda.

You might find it hard to find an expeienced Kundalini yoga teacher but study up, and keep on making your observations.

Vipassanna sounds like it covers a broad spectrum of practices but it seems a useful & interesting one because it can involve teaching us to feel or inhabit our physical bodiess and the points of focus seem to vary whether that's attention on the sensations of the flow of breath at the nostrils or points in the body or simply physical sensations or physical body etc. It is an interesting practice. It seems like a useful practice to counter- balaance other practice that might involve going deeper to the more subtle dimensions.Personally i find it useful for this very reason like if you're coming out of or transitioning from more deeper meditative practices.

I am slightly ignorant about this particular practice to be quite honest.All i can tell you is what i do, or i've done, the extent of my knowledge and those practices i have found helpful and worth exploring.

Edited by Maharaja Ganj 2011-03-06 3:22 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)