YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

high heels and bikram.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

huishan
Posted 2009-09-14 11:58 AM (#118329)
Subject: high heels and bikram.

hey women out there who does bikram (yeah we the hottest!)

you women know about the risks involved when wearing high heels. back pain, knee pain balbalbla. do you think bikram yoga can actually help to ease and strengthen our muscles, that in a way, when we wear heels, its actually less "damaging" to our joints balblabla?

just very curious.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-09-14 1:15 PM (#118331 - in reply to #118329)
Subject: Re: high heels and bikram.

I'm not a woman, and I've never worn heels, but I won't let that stop me. Bikram helps mitigate lots of different chronic injuries and imbalances. In that sense, it may help stop or even reverse damage done from wearing heels. But wearing the heels will always be a force in the other direction. Same goes for running, hunching over a computer, slouching in a chair, and all the other subtle, persistent ways we have of ruining our bodies.
jtho
Posted 2009-09-14 3:01 PM (#118332 - in reply to #118329)

I had to stop wearing heels when I was 22 as I started getting shooting nerve pain up the centre of my feet. I had been wearing heels every day since I was about 14. I am 26 now, and I still wear flats every day - except to weddings, as I have not been able to find a pair of flats that are formal enough. On those few occasions that I wear heels now, I lose feeling in 3 of my toes. For one of the toes, it comes back the next day, but for 2 of them, it takes 2-4 days. Luckily this only happens 2-3 times a year.

In Bikram - I go through phases where I think my body is purging/healing the damage I have done to my feet. Sometimes in toe stand, I get that same numbness in my toes, but it only lasts through the posture and maybe the savasana afterward. I will also feel other sensations throughout my toes and the rest of my feet in toe stand, especially.

So, in a sense, I am agreeing with you - I think that this yoga can ease any pain you have from heels, or strengthen muscles, or stretch out the ones that get tight from wearing heels. However, from my experience, I'd recommend wearing heels less often, as well.

Posted 2009-09-14 6:01 PM (#118335 - in reply to #118329)

Burn those heels! They are a tool of the oppressor! Hahahaha! I'm kidding. kinda. I rarely wear heels anymore. When I wear shoes without good support, the bottom of my feet just ache throughout the standing series, even the day after I've worn 'em. It's a great motivation to leave those heels in the closet, cute as they may be!

But yeah, we BY warriors are the hottest ;)
tourist
Posted 2009-09-14 6:49 PM (#118336 - in reply to #118335)

Expert Yogi

I don't do Bikram, but Iyengar yoga has vastly alleviated my foot problems. I wore Birkenstocks and running shoes with orthotics for years due to painful feet. I still tend toward "sensible" shoes but don't need the orthotics and I do spend several hours per week ballroom dancing in 2" heels. For sit down functions or just going to and from dances (we wear dance specific shoes even at social dances) I have a delightful collection of *serious* heels which have variously been described as "fierce," "smokin'," "kick a$$" and sometimes when truly moved (as he was by my lime green, uber-pointy stilettos), Mr. Tourist will just say "whoooaaa!"
Andre
Posted 2009-09-14 10:57 PM (#118343 - in reply to #118329)

Extreme Veteran

This reminds me, Tango is coming up Wednesday.
tourist
Posted 2009-09-15 9:42 AM (#118351 - in reply to #118343)

Expert Yogi

Ole!
JohnVinFL
Posted 2009-09-15 6:07 PM (#118363 - in reply to #118329)
Subject: RE: high heels and bikram.

Shoes are not allowed in the studio......
huishan
Posted 2009-09-16 5:15 AM (#118374 - in reply to #118329)
Subject: RE: high heels and bikram.

yeah whatever! cant stop all these hot bods women who practises bikram from buying those 4-inch heels!

bikram definitely makes a person more confident and sexier because all of the hard work we put into our sessions. thats why, we definitely have more rights to wear heels than anybody else! but definitely, its tiring to wear those heels.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)