YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New tattoo
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

luna
Posted 2009-09-07 1:15 AM (#118178)
Subject: New tattoo

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I have been practicing bikram yoga for about 1 1/2 years and I generally practice
6 days per week. I just got a relatively large tattoo and i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with practicing with a new tattoo.

I'm finding a lot of conflicting info online, some people say not to practice until it's done healing, one person saying she started 2 days after and applied a layer of Vaseline before class to protect it then washed it off after (I really don't want to try Vaseline as some people believe it strips the color out during healing)
Some people say sweating is totally fine you just have to watch out for any rubbing and others saying that sweating is just as bad as going swimming or sitting in a hot tub.

Does anyone here have any actual experience with this?

Obviously I want to miss as few classes as possible but don't want to ruin my new tattoo.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-09-07 2:35 AM (#118180 - in reply to #118178)
Subject: Re: New tattoo

Veteran

There is a another thread on this somewhere here. I believe the common wisdom here was to wait for it to finish healing- it's not the sweat so much as the stretching that will damage the tattoo. Your practice will be there when you come back to it- I'd say give yourself a break and let the tattoo heal before you go back.

Posted 2009-09-10 12:56 AM (#118249 - in reply to #118178)

I did not miss any self practice or teaching when I had most of my back tattooed.
Sweating is OK....just do not pick!!!
thepower
Posted 2009-09-10 9:41 AM (#118261 - in reply to #118178)

After getting a new shoulder piece done, I was still able to work out afterwards, it stings some, but as long as you keep it lubed it should be fine..
byd
Posted 2009-09-14 8:45 PM (#118342 - in reply to #118178)

I'm a heavily tattooed Bikram Yoga instructor. As long as you're careful there is no reason not to continue practicing while your new tattoo heals. I've been getting tattooed for more than 25 years and have even done a little tattooing myself. I have also done a lot of research into healing methods and techniques. The best thing to do with a new tattoo is keep it clean and leave it alone. I've had to hold back on some postures when a particularly challenging tattoo was healing (elbows, for example) so as not to put stress on the area but sweating is not problematic.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)