YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What Is Meditation?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Nealoren
Posted 2009-08-21 3:21 AM (#117844)
Subject: What Is Meditation?

Meditation is the regular and systematic practice of focusing your attention. Some types of meditation, such as transcendental meditation (TM), primarily involve concentration. You focus on a specific sensation, such as your breath flowing in and out of your nostrils, or on a repeated word or phrase. At the same time, you try to disregard the many thoughts that pass through your mind.

In mindfulness meditation, you start by concentrating on one thing, but then turn your attention to the thoughts, emotions, and sensations that make up your moment-to-moment experience. The idea is to remain nonjudgmental and somewhat removed from what you observe and feel, with the goal of gaining some insight into yourself.

While the techniques of meditation seem simple, they are not always easy to practice. Considerable discipline is needed to avoid reacting to the many stimuli around you and in your mind and body as you try to concentrate. When practiced regularly, however, meditation encourages a state of calm that is probably the source of its many health benefits
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kieranee
Posted 2009-08-21 6:24 AM (#117846 - in reply to #117844)
Subject: Re: What Is Meditation?

I try my best to include meditation to my practice but I don't succeed in getting to do it long because my mind starts hassling me and all my concentration just gets broken.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)