YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to BY have ??'s
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

thepower
Posted 2009-08-13 1:06 PM (#117628)
Subject: New to BY have ??'s

Greetings All,
I am new to BY, just completed my 13 practice. Im glad to have added this to my fitness program. A little backround, Im a former powerlifter and avid heavy weight trainer who blessedly escaped without tearing any major joints or tendons, now I lift twice a week and practice BY 4 times. I

Questions that I have are

Am I doing something wrong? By that i mean, I have been able to make it through all 13 classes without having to sit out poses. I weigh in at over 250ibs.. the only cardio I did previous to starting my practice was 20minutes on the bike, treadmill, heavybag work 5 3 min rounds & some sprints in my back yard.

2nd one is, The triangle is my favorite pose, however I notice that some people either sit out the second set or just sit it out completely? Is that a potentially harmful pose or something that I dont know about?

Thanks in advance for answering my novice questions...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-08-13 2:26 PM (#117630 - in reply to #117628)
Subject: Re: New to BY have ??'s

Hello to THE POWER

That is GREAT that you can do all the postures! Don't worry, be happy that you are healthy! Triangle is an awesome pose - the "master pose" of the series, as Bikram says - so everyone's goal should be to do both sets. People just leave it out sometimes because they are getting winded or feeling overwhelmed. If you are feeling good, then don't worry about what's happening with anyone else (a good rule anyway), just keep doing your thing! It is sooooo good for you.

One other thought: I definitely would not say that you're "doing something wrong", but of course since you are a novice you still have TONS to learn about the postures. And in some cases, I've found that the postures become much more strenuous when you learn how to exert yourself correctly and go deeper in them. It's nothing to worry about. Your teachers should be able to guide you, and you will get there quickly. Just be aware that if any of the postures are feeling a little too easy right now... don't worry... there's still plenty of time for that to change!! (I feel like doing a little evil laugh right here...)
thepower
Posted 2009-08-13 3:11 PM (#117632 - in reply to #117628)

Thanks for advice.
Let me preface this and say that I am NOT saying that I can do all 26 correctly lol as I have some mass issues that prevent full wraparound etc. but I give %100 effort. I am actually enjoying my practice as much as I enjoy my weight training..

My thinking on if I was doing something wrong was that I had noticed others that were smaller & I believe fitter than me sat out poses & had to lay down. But as suggested, Ill focus more on all the aspects of the poses.

If one has great cardio(which I don't), does it not transfer to the hot room?

Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-08-13 3:22 PM (#117633 - in reply to #117628)

Over the course of time, you will probably come to realize that you were doing almost everything wrong at the beginning. But if you are trying your best, staying with your breath, and listening and trying to follow the dialogue, you are also doing everything that you need to do, and doing it right. So, as a former lifter, I'm willing to bet for example that you are not straightening your arms all the way and locking the elbows in Half Moon. You probably aren't getting your palms together, and maybe you can't. But if you are trying to do this, then you are on the right course. There's so much to pay attention to at the start that it's almost impossible for someone to be doing it right from the outset.

You are strong, and triangle is primarily a strength posture, so it's not that surprising that you can manage it and manage it well. For lots of people, its absolutely draining because of the strength demands, and even more so because of where it comes in the sequence. If I am having a rough class, I'm most likely to sit out a set of Triangle or the pose after it. And Triangle is one of my best poses. But my stamina comes and goes, and sometimes I just need to have a break there.

And dancingj is exactly right about the evolution of the poses. The easy ones get difficult, and the difficult become easy, and then it all changes again. When I started, I hated triangle mostly because I couldn't keep my feet from sliding. When I finally got the courage to endure the full lunge, and my hips opened up a little to allow it, it went from being terrible to being a nice pose. I actually have a more difficult time with the set-up to Triangle than with the pose itself.

Good luck. It sounds like you are off to a great start.
thepower
Posted 2009-08-13 3:39 PM (#117634 - in reply to #117628)

Duffy Pratt
You are correct, In the half moon, at this time I cannot touch my palms or get the biceps to touch my head lol, my deltoids are not allowing it. Im getting slightly better, but again I think its mass/flexibility issue, but it will be so fun to keep trying to get it. Same with standing head to knee and the tree. I cant get those yet but I have fun trying.. Im looking forward to my evolution.. I have noticed that my pre hydration ritual gives me mental confidence going in, knowing that I got the heat/humidity issue beat, so that only leaves me to concentrate on my breathing and the poses..
lockdaknee
Posted 2009-08-13 3:56 PM (#117635 - in reply to #117628)

Regular

power - you are doing good. just keep going, staying in the room and paying attention to the dialogue. also, i would buy the book to learn some more about it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060568089/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1585420204&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TJKPYV38Y874N8YZPFM

Posted 2009-08-13 4:23 PM (#117639 - in reply to #117628)

Yay, reading is always a good idea! I'd actually start with the first book, the blue one -

http://www.amazon.com/Bikrams-Beginning-Class-Second-Edtion/dp/1585420204/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

- and then move to the one that lockdaknee has suggested. The older, blue book is better for info on postures, whereas the orange one is the best for info on the yoga philosophy.

And yeah, I can totally understand your confusion that some of the people who LOOK LIKE they shouldn't be struggling are struggling, while you're not. But the thing is, you NEVER know what's going on with the other people. Sometimes people who look like they're in great shape are in really poor health, or the guys who have never exercised at ALL are the most flexible in the room, or maybe somebody was working really hard in that class and overexerted himself, or maybe that girl lying down in the front made the mistake of eating a giant burrito right before class (or just has a bit of a hangover).... my point is that you will always confuse yourself a bit when you start trying to compare yourself to others, cause you really have NO idea what's going on with the other people in the room on any given day.

I've been doing this for like a million years, and there have been days when I wasn't feeling too great and I had to lay down and take a break while the 5 newbies behind me kept going on like it was a walk in the park. On the other hand sometimes THEY go down and I am a superstar. You get my point, I think...

Anyway, like duffy says, you are off to an AWESOME start. I think the fact that you ENJOY the practice so much is the BEST thing that anyone could ever ask for from a beginner... it means you will get so much out of it and your body will change so fast... exciting!!!
ferret
Posted 2009-08-16 11:34 PM (#117731 - in reply to #117628)

It's always nice to hear from people who are just starting. One of the main reasons that people sit out sets during bikram is that they are feeling faint. People who are physically small are more likely to have this problem than you. My normal, every day blood pressure is 90/60, and overheating tends to make one's blood pressure drop, so I have struggled and struggled and struggled with faintness in class. If yours is closer to average or higher than average, you won't feel faint, which is a nice benefit. Your strength explains why you don't struggle in Triangle. I get corrections all the time to go lower in triangle and my thigh absolutely trembles. (Ironic, I see others around me who are barely lunging, but I think I get corrected because I am close, maybe.) I am looking forward to having the strength to do this pose correctly. (I also finally figured out if you put enough weight on your lunging leg, the straight leg doesn't slide).

With regards to the arms, I have noticed that I am in a minority of people who have no problem with locking out the elbows in half moon and also drawing the arms down to the floor in fixed firm. In fact, I don't have anything to pull down in fixed firm. I finally asked the instructor what the dialogue is talking about in that pose, and he said that a lot of "big guys with muscles" don't have the flexibility in their shoulders. But really, when I look around, it's everyone. Some of the really scarily skinny girls have the worst arm flexibility I've ever seen.

I come from a swimming background, and I think this is why I retained my natural range of motion in my arms and shoulders, and looking in the mirror I also have quite a lot of muscle there compared to other ladies. The position for half moon is used heavily in swimming, and shoulder flexibility is very important and is something we work on. (Actually, I've noticed swimming is one of the few sports other than yoga that requires backward spine bending, reaching behind and above you, and other expansive movements.) Anyway, the good news is that the "big guys" in swimming often have very big muscles, but also very flexible shoulders. One "party trick" I've seen is grabbing hands behind the back and then bringing them up and over the shoulders in front, muscles and all! So no excuses! If the series is too easy for you, then you should be working very hard locking those elbows and improving your form generally.

By the way, it was just a week ago that my heat adaptation finally "clicked" after four MONTHS of practice. Suddenly, I was standing in a fully heated 105 degree studio, with high humidity, and doing just fine. It was a very good feeling! I still have my bad days, and the "huge burrito" or a big cup of coffee can have me holding down the floor in class. There have been lots of breakthroughs. I am starting to kick out in head-to-knee, and even though I thought I was doing pretty good in spine twist, I had the experience of "something" opening up on one side, and, ah, blessed relief.

Ferret
tourist
Posted 2009-08-17 10:06 AM (#117737 - in reply to #117731)

Expert Yogi

ferret - your swimming background will indeed help with shoulder flexibility. Mr. Tourist, who is ridiculously inflexible in almost every pose, has quite good shoulder flexibility in spite of those big muscles, probably thanks to years of triathlon training. I'm not sure, but my guess is that back strokers probably have the most mobility. Breast strokers tend to have wonky knees, but good hip flexibility to get that special whip in the kick.
yogabrian
Posted 2009-08-17 12:54 PM (#117738 - in reply to #117628)

It is not a bad thing to be able to do the whole class without sitting out or resting. Actually is is ideal. It's beginner class after all

Posted 2009-08-18 1:23 PM (#117758 - in reply to #117628)

also, you may be more comfortable with the discomforts of yoga than other folks are. most athletic people have no problem jumping into a class. sure, their postures may not be perfect or whatever, but they have the mental capacity to work through more discomfort than a non-athletic person.
thepower
Posted 2009-08-18 2:39 PM (#117761 - in reply to #117628)

Thanks for the replys

Ferret, comparing my size to a swimmers muscles is not a good comparison. I havnt met very many swimmers or tri athletes that have the sort of muscle you need to bench over 400ibs or squat over 600ibs.. So im not giving excuses, Im stating a fact.

Zoebird, I believe you zeroed in on something, "they have the mental capacity to work through more discomfort than a non-athletic person." Maybe thats it right there, I went in with the goal of finishing every class w/ the posture perfection coming as I practice- despite the heat, body limitations, etc. I feel great & am fully enjoying practicing along side my beautiful wife.
ferret
Posted 2009-08-18 7:24 PM (#117777 - in reply to #117628)

The "big muscle" theory has been given to me based on some guys in class whose muscles are not really all that big in the grand scheme of things--certainly not as big as some swimmers I know. I don't believe that it's the size of the muscles that's the problem. I think it's just that the range of motion has not been maintained while building them up, and the yoga will begin to correct that for you. Being able to hold your arms straight up above your head is a natural human motion. You should check out the muscles on an orangutan some time. I'm pretty sure a full grown male orang could bench press your 400 lbs or more, but they most certainly could do half moon nicely as well, because they travel by brachiation, giving their big muscles a nice stretch many times a day. Just keep pushing those elbows in, you'll be surprised at what you can do, eventually.

Regarding the whole mental strength thing, I don't really believe that's what is going on with many of the beginners who struggle. I have seen athletes, dancers, gymnasts, figure skaters come into the studio for their first class and go down flat on the mat for most of the class. Other times, I have seen people who are quite out of shape who stand up through their whole first class. It really has a lot to do with your circulation and heat tolerance at first. Often over the past months, I have listened to instructors say things like, "The heat is all in your mind. Your body can do what you will it to do," and other such things. I knew it wasn't true when my body finally adjusted to the heat. Until that happened, I was fighting the effects of heat exhaustion and could no more will myself out of that than I could will myself to float six feet above the floor.

I am glad you enjoy your practice. I hope it benefits you as much as it has me. We have a number of couples at our studio that come to class together. I think it's quite nice.

Ferret
thepower
Posted 2009-08-19 7:13 AM (#117803 - in reply to #117628)

Uh Ferret your comparing apples to oranges, comparing animals to humans is such. Bring forth a bodybuilder/powerlifter/strength athlete, off/Def lineman would be a better real world comparison, not a Orangatun, swimmer or tri athlete lol.. Until then Namaste
thepower
Posted 2009-08-19 8:27 AM (#117806 - in reply to #117628)

i purchased the blue Bikram beginning yoga book after my first practice and often refer to it frequently. Its helped me understand the benefits of each pose. I grow excited each week as I make good progress. This past week, I was finally able to reach my other ankle on the (floor) bow pose and actually extend it up to where only my belly button/hips area is on the ground. Right now compression poses-rabbit, standing head to knee, eagle, any head to knee poses are harder because of mass/size issues, but as I lose weight, i see light on the horizon.. This is fun stuff..
Jar
Posted 2009-08-20 10:01 AM (#117832 - in reply to #117628)

Regular

Muscles and yoga?

Heres some photos
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0608/gallery.NFLparrish/content.1.html

Posted 2009-08-21 1:41 PM (#117854 - in reply to #117628)

that mass of muscle will get more flexible, more "fluid" in a sense. i work with a lot of very big guys (including strong man competitors), and their size (even muscle, fat etc) doesn't change that much, and yet they do become increasingly more flexible.

and in yoga, with or without heat, the ability to hold a pose, make it through a class or whatever is largely of the mind. most of yoga is about the mind.

for anyone who has had to continue even when it is unbelievably difficult to do so--and this is of course barring any specific physical limitations--they know what the mind-block is. nearly every athlete has confronted it, and i think it is most beautifully commented on in The Iron by Henry Rollins. (http://baye.com/the-iron-by-henry-rollins/) in it, he says "the iron never lies" and he explains that you either move it or you don't, and in doing or not doing it, you know/see/ undertand who you are. essentially, you begin to understand your mind.

certainly, the pose never lies.

It's in my "collection of readings" that i have for those students who want materials.
YogiAl
Posted 2009-08-30 11:44 AM (#118011 - in reply to #117832)

Jar - 2009-08-20 9:01 AM

Muscles and yoga?

Heres some photos
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0608/gallery.NFLparrish/content.1.html

Man that dude is put together like a brick house.

Interesting that he calls it Tony's yoga workout with pictures of Bikram and Bishnu Ghosh behind him. Regardless, looks like he's got the best of both worlds. BTW, he looks to be collapsing his hip in Trikonasana.

Edited by YogiAl 2009-08-30 11:45 AM
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-08-30 10:09 PM (#118028 - in reply to #117628)

It's called Tony's workout because the guy is Tony Parrish, a former NFL safety for the Bears, 49ers and Cowboys. As normal people go, almost anybody who played in the NFL will look like a brick house. But compared to other football players, a free safety will typically be a bit long and lean.
thepower
Posted 2009-10-07 9:50 AM (#118948 - in reply to #117628)

Hey all,
Just wanted to update this post & my progress.. Ill highlight poses with the most progress.

1/2 moon - I now have the shoulder flexibility to lock out the elbows & touch the palms during 1/2 moon, on the back bend, i can look down the back wall.

Awkward - Sitting in the chair comfortably in the first part, up on my toes and all the way down on the second part.. 1/2 way down on the third leg size makes it somewhat diff to do with out pitching forward some so i stop there for now
Standing bow- I can now hold both sets (most of the time) & get low enough during the last 5 seconds to see my foot over the back of my head.
Balancing stick- I can now get the "table top" look, just got to remember to point my toes

Standing separate leg stretch- Taking a 4 foot stance, I could easily "kiss" my mat flat faced so the instructors in a fun way chided me into to taking a 3 foot step so now i barely step across the mat & am still able touch my forehead, but they say Im more vertical now - I even have a mark on my fore head from where I place my head ha ha

Triangle- still my favorite,

Bow(Floor)- I had a tough time for the first month with the flexibility to reach back and grab my feet, but finally my hips opened up & boom Im able to bust this one out now

Fixed firm, I go all the way back & can hold my elbows over my head. First set i take a wider set to warm up, 2nd set i take a narrow set.

Camel- I go back all the way with this & vary my set up while keeping my feet 6 inches apart

Even with the poses I havnt mentioned, Im making slow progress. But the above represent my pet postures. Ive now done over 40 classes now (4 a week) & have not had to sit out any poses (that was a personal goal of mine).

Im very much enjoying this workout, it was a great addition to my weight training. Combined with sound nutrition & the weights, Ive dropped 12-15ibs of fat since I first started at the beginning of August.. Good stuff here..

Posted 2009-10-07 2:21 PM (#118955 - in reply to #117628)

i love triangle too. i know that bikram has bent-knee triangle and triangle. i like "trianle" better than bent knee. always have. it's my favorite.

now that my son can tolerate a bit of child care time (though the new girl is totally boring, the old girl used to play with him), i am back to weights again. twice a week, just a nice easy split. and, i'm getting to three yoga classes a week now, and will possibly be up to 4 soon. and, the hiking is GRAND this time of year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)