YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cracked rib
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

patient@44
Posted 2009-07-23 5:31 PM (#117104)
Subject: cracked rib

Hi All,

Well, I never thought it possible, but I cracked my rib and I think it was during my mysore practice and no, I was not being adjusted. Or it could have been while weeding the garden later in the day, but I did not fall. I had just finished a pretty intense workshop the following week and was a little sore from that. Anyway, some time after bhuja pidasana I heard some cracking and popping in my upper back (normal noises for me, really) and then started to slowly feel achy on my left side...anyway, took sat. off, practiced sun, hurt, practiced mon. limiting my vinyasas but hurt even more, got an xray tues. and the diagnosis.

Questions: what, if any, yoga should one do during the healing process? My MD wants me to take 4-6 weeks off but I am wondering if anyone has experienced this and how they practiced with it. Can I begin slowly, using my breath as my guide: if I can't breath comfortably, then should I not do anything? At the moment breathing isn't always comfortable when just sitting or walking...

Thoughts?

PS Kind of know that one should never practice with pain or too the point of pain, but the idea of not practicing for 4-6 weeks seems a little daunting and I guess I am looking for some suggestions of how to get through it...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-07-24 9:44 AM (#117122 - in reply to #117104)
Subject: Re: cracked rib

yeah, i would probably use breathing as my guide, but also do some restorative things like forward bend, feet up the wall, etc.
diviner
Posted 2009-07-28 8:34 AM (#117216 - in reply to #117122)

Ouch! well yes you need to wait a bit to practice any vinyasa. I would look at asanas that do not focus on your core, ie legs or just arm , not so much both if you are doing warrior 2 focus on legs. You can focus on hip openers. this is a great time to practice mindful meditation to help bring awareness and love and light to your rib.
lashannasmall
Posted 2009-08-01 5:08 PM (#117368 - in reply to #117104)

How about talking to your Ashtanga teacher?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)